F35 - Money well spent.

I follow this thread for progress on F35 capability and operational readiness, but I can’t help admiring the recent pictures posted of piston engined aircraft.

From a purely aesthetic viewpoint, there is and incredible symmetry and simple beauty in their clean lines, especially when airborne. Even on deck, they have an intrinsic appeal beyond their capability.

I greatly admire the multiple technologies and capability of the F35, but those earlier aircraft do have something special about them.

Thanks to those who posted pics, and apologies for any thread drift.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I follow this thread for progress on F35 capability and operational readiness, but I can’t help admiring the recent pictures posted of piston engined aircraft.

From a purely aesthetic viewpoint, there is and incredible symmetry and simple beauty in their clean lines, especially when airborne. Even on deck, they have an intrinsic appeal beyond their capability.

I greatly admire the multiple technologies and capability of the F35, but those earlier aircraft do have something special about them.

No, I get it. They make anything else look 'old'. There's something in that.

I can't see past the paywall on the Telegraph link @Dunservin but those I can all refer to 'Britain's' aircraft and point out that they'll be operated 'jointly by the RN and RAF from land and the carriers' so overall it's pretty balanced I'd say.

However, the announcement of our F-35Bs reaching Initial Op Capability (Land) was evidently timed to coincide with that for both the Typhoon Project Centurion (Stormshadow and Dual Mode Brimstone) being declared operational while contrasting that with the imminent retirement of the GR4. Therefore, it's probably understandable that the journos have chosen to refer to the F-35 as an 'RAF jet' just as they tend to refer to the 'RN's new jets' whenever they refer to them operating off the carriers; MoD and RAF PR can only control what they write so far.

The plans to deploy F-35s to Akrotiri on SHADER have been running for some time. While I would expect them to very much do a 'crawl, walk, run' approach to the tasking there initially, this shows the increasing confidence 617 have in the type.

Regards,
MM
A good friend of mine is on 617, he can barely hide his joy and child like grin.

What feedback? I take it that it's very much living up to expectations, then?
The phrase “game changer” is often over used, it not in this case.

The joint F35 and Typhoon strike force is making the USAF very envious.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The phrase “game changer” is often over used, it not in this case.
Very heartening. I notice that any article which mentions the F-35 still can't let go of the 'troubled gestation period' line.

The joint F35 and Typhoon strike force is making the USAF very envious.
Something @Magic_Mushroom has alluded to in the past.

If we can only get Wedgetail sorted...

[Walks away with innocent look on face...]

Very heartening. I notice that any article which mentions the F-35 still can't let go of the 'troubled gestation period' line.

Something @Magic_Mushroom has alluded to in the past.

If we can only get Wedgetail sorted...

[Walks away with innocent look on face...]
Done deal on the wedgetail, if a certain scopie is to be believed.

Well, as we’re talking about the Lightning...

Regards,
MM

Please don’t tell me you play AWACS on DCS?
Is that CGI?! If so, I’ve had one glass of red too many this evening!

Edit: it looks gen to me!

Regards,
MM

Latest Threads