F35 - Money well spent.

Last edited:
The other day I was accessing ARRSE via my phone and accidentally found myself looking the the comments on the first page. Well I wonder if those doubting Thomas' or those claiming we (UK) do not need top tier capabilities feel a bit silly now?

Two things from me:

1. Since the UK has been working on CVF and JSF fol pretty much the same timescales, and embarked flights are happening, and the beast has flown operational sorties, is it now legal to punch anyone who says 'carriers without aircraft' in the face?

2. In late 2001 I saw a recuitment advert for BAE Systems for various type of Engineer to work on F-35. It was accompanied by a picture that really did look that what F-35B does look like.

The other day I was accessing ARRSE via my phone and accidentally found myself looking the the comments on the first page. Well I wonder if those doubting Thomas' or those claiming we (UK) do not need top tier capabilities feel a bit silly now?

Two things from me:

1. Since the UK has been working on CVF and JSF fol pretty much the same timescales, and embarked flights are happening, and the beast has flown operational sorties, is it now legal to punch anyone who says 'carriers without aircraft' in the face?

2. In late 2001 I saw a recuitment advert for BAE Systems for various type of Engineer to work on F-35. It was accompanied by a picture that really did look that what F-35B does look like.
I think it’s a bit of a stretch to say op sorties have been flown but progress has been excellent.

You’ll note however that @sunoficarus who now goes by the name of @PhotEx was one of the chief critics on P1!

Regards,
MM

To my mind it highlights a profound problem that the West has. People have become accustomed to '100% now'. The mentality exists, and I am sure you will have encountered it, that if someone does not not about something they think it is easy.

When problems have been encountered, the skeptics have been keen to claim the sky is falling, instead of thinking that they are learning opportunities. The increased public scrutiny has come at the same time of increased public ignorance of defence/technology.

People who grew up in previous decades would have known that a new aircraft meant crashes and lives being lost. I saw a programme about the development of the F-14 Tomcat and guess what - one of the early test flights resulted in crash and ejection, and an early carrier test involved losing at least one aircraft and test crew.

In World War Two days and I guess into the fifties, losing ten percent of test pilots and a higher percentage of prototype aircraft was considered acceptable. Nowadays the smallest hiccup is seen as a disaster.

At the same time, we have been fooled (well some of us - certainly not me) into thinking the age of national state adversaries with air forces, navies, advanced SAMs etc, are in the past, undermining support for defence projects.

I am using the word project as intended by people like the International Standards Organisation, in other words a one off process intended to produce a permanant result, as opposed to a programme which is repeated.

Last edited:
The mentality exists, and I am sure you will have encountered it, that if someone does not not about something they think it is easy.
You can blame Navy recruiting ads for that. "If you can fix a bike, you can fix an F35." And any eejit can fix a bike.

You can blame Navy recruiting ads for that. "If you can fix a bike, you can fix an F35." And any eejit can fix a bike.
I am not sure RN recruitment ads are responsible for societal ills. I mean these days if people find KFC is closed they call the Police or post on Twitter, if they find somebody has had an injury they post selfies on Facebook instead of giving first aid.

I am not sure RN recruitment ads are responsible for societal ills. I mean these days if people find KFC is closed they call the Police or post on Twitter, if they find somebody has had an injury they post selfies on Facebook instead of giving first aid.
Generalizing a bit too much?

Interesting piece on how the F-35 sensor suite can link directly with a carrier's or other ship's SSDS

The F-35 can now act as the eyes of the fleet
Fighters (and other types) have technically been able to do this for over 25 years via JTIDS Link 16; far longer if you include Link 4 ‘DOLLY’ which entered service with the USN in the 60s!

Regards,
MM

Generalizing a bit too much?
I know - but I was upset by recently listening to a talk on the Holocaust and how the Jews and other minorities were made passive. People doing things - learning to stand up against bullies, fixing your bike, cooking a pie - anything, are part of people learning self value, resilience, and things like attention to detail.

Last edited:
Fighters (and other types) have technically been able to do this for over 25 years via JTIDS Link 16; far longer if you include Link 4 ‘DOLLY’ which entered service with the USN in the 60s!

Regards,
MM
I saw the same story and considered putting in on the CVF thread in the RN forum, but then thought what exactly is new about this The F-35B cuing the AEGIS combat system has been previously reported - and is a massive capability F-35B offers.

When I saw 'Ship Self Defense System' I wondered why a jet was being used the cue the carrier/amphib's CIWS and other defences. It is not - this just looks like information of fuel and weapon states being sent to the ship by the aircraft, or the ship transmitting mission information to the aircraft.

Last edited:
There is indeed a generational shift in both outlook and mentality. We live is a different world where progress has been exponential. The rate of change may have...to a degree, left some of us older behind, however it has also lost some of the qualities we had that were essential in our day.

I remember as a young RM on exercise in winter wearing gloves, I will never forget the tirade I got from the Captain supervising when he spotted me. I felt that I was increasing my capabilities by doing so, he felt that I was the lowest form of wimp. Today protective gloves kneepads body armour, sunglasses, ear protection are standard equipment.

Todays society is one of instant gratification, where nothing is left to complete, it is functioning 'out of the box’. There is no ‘here is Mk 1’ have a go tell us what needs improving and by Mk 15 it’ll be pretty good. They want it functioning perfectly from day one, because that is what they have grown up to expect, and yet in an ironic way have perhaps become ‘softer’ because they don’t have to deal with getting things better the hard way.

Possibly not expressed this quite as well as it could be but hopefully one gets the drift.

Last edited:
There is indeed a generational shift in both outlook and mentality. We live is a different world where progress has been exponential. The rate of change may...to a degree, left some of us older behind, however it has also lost some of the qualities we had that were essential in our day.

I remember as a young RM on exercise in winter wearing gloves, I will never forget the tirade I got from the Captain supervising when he spotted me. I felt that I was increasing my capabilities by doing so, he felt that I was the lowest form of wimp. Today protective gloves kneepads body armour, sunglasses, ear protection are standard equipment.

Todays society is one of instant gratification, where nothing is left to complete, it is functioning 'out of the box’. There is no ‘here is Mk 1’ have a go tell us what needs improving and by Mk 15 it’ll be pretty good. They want it functioning perfectly from day one, because that is what they have grown up to expect, and yet in an ironic way have perhaps become ‘softer’ because they don’t have to deal with getting things better the hard way.

Possibly not expressed this quite as well as it could be but hopefully one gets the drift.
No, you've nailed it. The difference is that the 'Mk.1' is already 'Mk.15'.

As such as @Magic_Mushroom have noted, in the past too much airframe 'testing' used to take place once in squadron service - with tragic results.

I know which I prefer. Pass me the gloves, please (because, as I know to my cost, habitually not wearing them in the cold damages your hands...).

Thread drift. Re the Hurricane damaged F-22’s at Tyndall. The U.S. Air Force has released information on the F-22 Raptor jets caught in a hurricane.

All 17 Raptors not only survived the virtual destruction of the base but have been brought back up to airworthy condition. Despite severe damage to the hangars that sheltered them, all of the jets survived the hurricane in relatively good condition.

The 43rd and 2nd Fighter Squadrons’ F-22 Fighter Training and T-38 Adversary Training Units will relocate to Eglin Air Force Base. The planes and personnel from the F-22-equipped 95th Fighter Squadron will relocate to Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia; Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska; and JB Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii.
Hurricane-Battered F-22s Are Now Flying Out of Michael's Aftermath

And back to business, refueling F-35’s from C-130. At min 1:52 a UK F-35B appears.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
old_bloke MoD News 3
2/51 The Intelligence Cell 49
schwarzie Tanks, planes & ships 46