F35 - Money well spent.

Fantastic photograph not sure how they managed to get the sky so crisp on a moving boat and the 2nd F-35 which would have been moving unless fantastically high ISO but image has no grain.
Given what I can do on my PC with freeware and a 15 year old cheap Fuji digital camera. I'd say a modern photographer using professional software can generate just about anything from a fuzzy black smudge, and if he can't things can always be pasted in.

Looking at the rightmost visible cap in the photo I linked, the last letter before the word "Force" appears to be a "G"...
Your eyes are better than mine then. It certainly makes a lot more sense. Presumably these matelots will flit from QEII to PoW along with the aircraft so it saves on them needing two caps if they had HMS....

Your eyes are better than mine then. It certainly makes a lot more sense. Presumably these matelots will flit from QEII to PoW along with the aircraft so it saves on them needing two caps if they had HMS....
Wah? Cap tallies can be changed you know.

They are not ship's company, who will have HMS ....... cap tallies, but are part of the squadron that will embark, like in the old days when Sea Harrier personnel had 800 or 801 Naval Air Squadron tallies, and I presume carried on in Harrier GR7/9 days.

The ongoing versatility of the F-35 continues to evolve. The USMC F-35b’s will soon be connecting with their HIMARS rocket arty batteries.

The High Mobility Artillery Rocket System is a C-130 portable shoot and scoot unit on a 5 ton truck. can be flown in to a location, shoot then be flown out, also has been operated from a ship. The F35 pushes target info to the HIMRS system which then destroys the target that can be from 1.2 miles out to just over 186 miles away.
Marines connect F-35 jet to HIMARS rocket shot for first time

Just for variety, fired from a ship.

Meanwhile at the other end...!!

Last edited:
US ground their entire F-35 fleet.

F-35s grounded

In a statement, the F-35 Joint Program Office said the US and its international partners had suspended flight operations while a fleet-wide inspection of fuel tubes was conducted.

"If suspect fuel tubes are installed, the part will be removed and replaced. If known good fuel tubes are already installed, then those aircraft will be returned to flight status.

Not sure exactly what they mean by "fuel tubes" - I assume fuel feed lines to the engines.

US ground their entire F-35 fleet.

F-35s grounded

In a statement, the F-35 Joint Program Office said the US and its international partners had suspended flight operations while a fleet-wide inspection of fuel tubes was conducted.

"If suspect fuel tubes are installed, the part will be removed and replaced. If known good fuel tubes are already installed, then those aircraft will be returned to flight status.

Not sure exactly what they mean by "fuel tubes" - I assume fuel feed lines to the engines.
A Lightning with a fuel tube problem, never heard of that before. You really can't make reality up if you tried.

The ongoing versatility of the F-35 continues to evolve. The USMC F-35b’s will soon be connecting with their HIMARS rocket arty batteries.

The High Mobility Artillery Rocket System is a C-130 portable shoot and scoot unit on a 5 ton truck. can be flown in to a location, shoot then be flown out, also has been operated from a ship. The F35 pushes target info to the HIMRS system which then destroys the target that can be from 1.2 miles out to just over 186 miles away.
Marines connect F-35 jet to HIMARS rocket shot for first time
And the Royal Artillery receives it's first HIMARS battery in........

Maybe they should replace it with a seal. I realise 'tradition' is actually a very malleable thing but when a heavy bomber squadron converts to wearing navy uniform, I think you can argue tradition has been dispensed with.
Except that a Labrador dog (black or otherwise), as may be construed from the geographical connotation in its name, is an "aquatic" canine, traditionally employed - by the fishermen of Newfoundland - to recover things that have fallen into the sea ;) .

The ongoing versatility of the F-35 continues to evolve. The USMC F-35b’s will soon be connecting with their HIMARS rocket arty batteries...
Yeeesssss. Similar was being done with Jaguar 20 years ago and this is a capability that already exists on several other US and coalition platforms right now!

Regards,
MM

Yeeesssss. Similar was being done with Jaguar 20 years ago and this is a capability that already exists on several other US and coalition platforms right now!

Regards,
MM
Given that we don't have, and I assume won't be getting, these platforms will our F35 at least be able to use other peoples launchers or was that one of the economy savings we decided we didn't need.

Given that we don't have, and I assume won't be getting, these platforms will our F35 at least be able to use other peoples launchers or was that one of the economy savings we decided we didn't need.
Wouldn't one assume that as we're getting part of a standardised fleet that we could indeed cue on behalf of, say, USMC ground units?

Like our Typhoons, Sentinel and numerous other assets, our F-35s will be fully interoperable and will be able to cue coalition assets, whether they be sensors, fires or just in the sense of contributing to a Common Operating Picture.

One would assume/hope that this would be a somewhat more capable version?

There was a cobbled up version of laser designation during the Gulf war.
Aircraft Gallery: Buccaneer in the Gulf ’91
The Buccs was merely designating in GW1 (via the Pave Spike pod; a handful of GR1s had the more modern TIALD) which is entirely different to digital cuing over a link.

Ultimately, the Jag (and likewise most other Western fast jets these days) was merely passing 3D positional data on ground targets which were of sufficient Positional Quality (PQ) to allow an engagement. This is probably the first time a HIMARS has been cued from an F-35 MADL but it's probably already happened from an F-22 and it's certainly happened via JTIDS and (in the case of the Jag) Improved Data Modem way back when. The Jag even had a Helmet Mounted Sight!

I'm a F-35 supporter but some sense of proportion is needed when reading the PR releases.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
old_bloke MoD News 3
2/51 The Intelligence Cell 49
schwarzie Tanks, planes & ships 46