F35 - Money well spent.

And whilst they are at Marham, they should take delivery of a Dog, Black, Officer Issue, from the kennels at Sandringham.
Maybe they should replace it with a seal. I realise 'tradition' is actually a very malleable thing but when a heavy bomber squadron converts to wearing navy uniform, I think you can argue tradition has been dispensed with.

From the RAF page on Faceache but couldn't link to it.

Fantastic photograph not sure how they managed to get the sky so crisp on a moving boat and the 2nd F-35 which would have been moving unless fantastically high ISO but image has no grain.

43007650_10156821330794885_2683169986544926720_o.jpg

Edited to add link to original post on Faceache:

Last edited:
From the RAF page on Faceache but couldn't link to it.

Fantastic photograph not sure how they managed to get the sky so crisp on a moving boat and the 2nd F-35 which would have been moving unless fantastically high ISO but image has no grain.

View attachment 355768

Edited to add link to original post on Faceache:
Any of our nautical brethren able to give any clarity on what the masthead lights are? I get the Red-White-Red for Restricted In Ability to Manouvre (I assume) but what's the white above that?

Any of our nautical brethren able to give any clarity on what the masthead lights are? I get the Red-White-Red for Restricted In Ability to Manouvre (I assume) but what's the white above that?
Making way (ie moving forwards, not stopped).

...I realise 'tradition' is actually a very malleable thing but when a heavy bomber squadron converts to wearing navy uniform, I think you can argue tradition has been dispensed with.
I'll bite: why has a 'heavy bomber sqn' converted to wearing navy uniform?!

Regards,
MM

...recent pictures of 617 Sqn parading for the consecration of their Standard included one guard made up of matelots...
Indeed, and lot's of other showing RAF guys.

The official division of Lightning manpower between the 2 services is roughly 60:40 RAF/RN but that will ebb and flow in specific areas. That division will or already does stand across 17, 617, 809 and 207 sqns.

All sqns will be capable of ops from land or sea and will have rotational sqn/XO posts. For instance, right now OC617 is RAF and his XO is RN but that will reverse on the next turn of the handle. Likewise, OC/XO 809 will probably be RN/RAF initially but will also rotate.

...Out of curiosity, what's their cap tally? "Lightning Force"?...
Looks like it which is quite a nice touch.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
old_bloke MoD News 3
2/51 The Intelligence Cell 49
schwarzie Tanks, planes & ships 46