F35 - Money well spent.

Do the Russians do AS9100 and ISO9001 in the same way every Western component manufacturer, let alone OEMs and major contractors, does?

Why did they place the order for the four Mistral LHDs with a French yard?
Part of the deal was that the French company would modernize the Russia shipbuilding industry, bringing in newer management methods and ways of organising things to improve efficiency.

Meanwhile Uncle Putin is finding out even after borrowing technology, actually manufacturing it, and in numbers is hard

Russia admits defeat on its 'stealth' F-35 killer by canceling mass production of the Su-57 fighter jet
So far as I am aware, there's been no announcement of actually cancelling the plane. Production is however being delayed further due to continueing technical problems. The story in The Diplomat which Business Insider uses as the basis for part of its report states that the engine is not expected to be ready until 2020.
Russia Will Not Mass-Produce 5th Generation Stealth Fighter Jet
For example, the Russian military aviation industry still struggles with the aircraft’s next-generation engine. A new engine purportedly called the Saturn izdeliye 30 (purportedly featuring increased thrust and fuel efficiency and fitted with 3D thrust vectoring nozzles) is not expected to be ready for serial production until at least 2020.
Another story in The Diplomat suggested that the Russians may decide to bring out an updated and improved SU-35. This might give them most of what they want from the SU-57 at a much lower cost. While the story discusses this as an export product, it is possible that the Russians may be looking at it for their own needs as well as having better export potential.
Could Russia Design a Fifth-Generation Variant of the Su-35 for India?
If reports of development of a fifth-generation platform based on the Su-35 are true, their results could be intriguing and lead to a world-leading fighter. The standard Su-35 design is more than capable of matching the performance characteristics of a fifth-generation fighter — with the sole exception of its lack of stealth capabilities. A fifth-generation variant of the Su-35 could well mean nothing more than modifying the fighter, termed a “4++” generation platform by Russia’s military, to incorporate stealth.
Here's another news story discussing this as well.
Russias Su-35 Super-Flanker: Mystery Fighter No More

So, the SU-57 hasn't been cancelled yet. However, i would not be overly surprised if SU-57 features were to be incorporated into an SU-35 derivative and if that were to become the focus of Russian development instead.

So far as I am aware, there's been no announcement of actually cancelling the plane. Production is however being delayed further due to continueing technical problems. The story in The Diplomat which Business Insider uses as the basis for part of its report states that the engine is not expected to be ready until 2020.
Russia Will Not Mass-Produce 5th Generation Stealth Fighter Jet

Another story in The Diplomat suggested that the Russians may decide to bring out an updated and improved SU-35. This might give them most of what they want from the SU-57 at a much lower cost. While the story discusses this as an export product, it is possible that the Russians may be looking at it for their own needs as well as having better export potential.
Could Russia Design a Fifth-Generation Variant of the Su-35 for India?

Here's another news story discussing this as well.
Russias Su-35 Super-Flanker: Mystery Fighter No More

So, the SU-57 hasn't been cancelled yet. However, i would not be overly surprised if SU-57 features were to be incorporated into an SU-35 derivative and if that were to become the focus of Russian development instead.
Like other wonder weapons which never got to the front line it'll end up rotting away at Monino. It never looked good, the finish being LO defeating. Their economy is shagged and India has decided not to be the sucker on this.

No SU35 or derivative is going to be stealthy by slapping on some LO coating, best bet would be bigger missiles for it.

Personally, I wouldn't write off the Su-57 just yet.

As discussed previously, it also needs to be seen in the context of Russian doctrine which sees SAMs as their primary means of restricting enemy freedom of manoeuvre.

Regards,
MM

Personally, I wouldn't write off the Su-57 just yet.

As discussed previously, it also needs to be seen in the context of Russian doctrine which sees SAMs as their primary means of restricting enemy freedom of manoeuvre.

Regards,
MM
They're skint, I don't think it's a bad jet but its LO is oversold. The engineering finish on pictures was appalling, rivet heads proud and the like.

Last edited:
They're skint, I don't think it's a bad jet but its LO is oversold. The engineering finish on pictures was appalling, rivet heads proud and the like.
Even a cursory glance at the Su-57 (particularly unpainted variants) indicates it's not a true LO design. However, I think LO is of only secondary importance to the Russians and this has to be seen in wider context.

Regards,
MM

(...) No SU35 or derivative is going to be stealthy by slapping on some LO coating, best bet would be bigger missiles for it.
One of the links suggested an SU-35 derivative which had improvements to it along the lines of what Boeing has been trying to do with the F-15SE. Radar cross section can be reduced a good deal without a complete redesign. The SU-57 has a reduced radar cross section, but they have a different idea of where the optimal trade-off between stealth and performance are than the US does and have leaned more towards the performance side of that balance.

What these reports are suggesting is that newer versions of the SU-35 with a reasonably reduced frontal radar cross section could offer most of what Russia hoped to get out of the SU-57 at a significantly lower cost.

Here's another article which expands on this idea.
Death Match: Russia's 'Stealth' Su-57 vs. Su-35S Flanker-E (Who Wins?)
Indeed, the Su-35 has proven to be so capable, there are many in Russia’s military circles who wonder if the follow-on Su-57 is worth the time and money.
and also here:
The Russians seem to recognize that the initial version of the Su-57 will not offer a particularly more useful capability than the Su-35. Moscow only plans to purchase a dozen of the initial AL-41F1-powered version of the Su-57. The Kremlin will likely buy as many as 60 of the second stage Su-57 with the new engine, but given the sheer expense and the limited jump in performance of the new aircraft over the Su-35, it does not seem likely that the Russians will adopt the PAK-FA as the mainstay of their air force. Indeed, it is probably much more likely that Moscow will further upgrade its Su-30SM and Su-35S fleets by retrofitting those jets with avionics technology from the Su-57.
In the above they said that Russia would buy a dozen of the SU-57 with the old engine. When the new engine is ready they may buy another 60. However, that may be it because the limited degree of improvement over the SU-35 simply isn't worth the extra expense.

Meanwhile, here's a little dit from the UK Defence Journal website which highlights the value of the immersive QE deck and F-35B sim at BAeS Warton. Note how it represents not only the aircraft's performance but also ship movement and airflow around the islands. This has been hugely valuable in de-risking the integration of the F-35B onto the QEs as such trials would previously have had to be conducted live.

Cheaper, lower risk, and illustrative that, while the naysayers still bang on about 'carriers with no aircraft', that's not true in the synthetic environment!

Regards,
MM

Needs to be seen in the context of Russian doctrine which sees SAMs as their primary means of restricting enemy freedom of manoeuvre.
Which, of course, explains our vast investment in an ALARM replaceme... Oh. Hang on...

It does seem quite remarkable that this reasonably well-known aspect of Russian doctrine hasn't elicited much in the way of comment about the approach to SEAD, and I'm not convinced that the oft-cited answer to the problem (F-35) which emanates from a fair few commentators is entirely the right one... We've just reformed 11 Group, so getting 100 Group back on the ORBAT (granted, it'd start as a slack handful of people and a Labrador)...??

When did we turn into Iran?
UK unveils new Tempest fighter jet model
A model of the UK's planned new fighter jet, the Tempest, has been unveiled at the Farnborough Air Show.
The UK's Defence Secretary, Gavin Williamson, said the jet could be used with either pilots or as a drone.

I think the F-35 (all versions) has been more extensively tested and benefited from far greater use of modelling and simulation than previous aircraft - which can only be good in terms of reliability and knowing how the beast handles in difficult conditions.

Talking of testing: F-35 shipped via Hull

Good to see the Aerospace and Marine sectors working together.
I know this area, and a school friend's dad worked in Blackburn's drawing office.

Two questions:

1. How did they lift it onto a barge at Brough? There is (was not!), any quey side or jetty.

Edit: As @offog said! I thought Brough was due to close, so I can't see them spending ANY money!

2. Having got the thing "on the water", why not go straight to the transport ship at Immingham, instead of all the lifting-off, storage, and re-loading in Hull?

Last edited:
So not cheap then?
When compared with what?

No not cheap, but it would seem that a loyal wingman/drone concept is not unknown over here, and it would seem being looked at.

In a statement at Farnborough Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Hillier Chief of the Air Staff said:'Team Tempest demonstrates our commitment in ensuring that we continue to build our capabilities, draw upon our experience and history to bring forward a compelling vision for the next generation fighter jet.

'The Combat Air Strategy will bring together the best of our people, industry and international partners to support the RAF lift-off into the next century of air power.
Tempest, Britain's laser-firing unmanned fighter jet of the future, unveiled by Government

Is it just me or does Williamson look like he's just escaped from the sixth form?

Anyway, attached is the Bae promotional video on the Tempest. Usual corporate stuff apart from the last few frames, whch show the aircraft's planform: a sort of cranked delta somewhat reminiscent of recent UAVs (X-47b, for example).