F35 - Money well spent.

UK workshare is worth £150Billion to UK Plc.
I know. Does anyone have know what percentage (by value?) of the F-35B is UK made? The RR LiftSystem and associated bits and bobs, and STOVL controls, SRVL stuff as well as stuff on all three versions of the jet.....

F-35 - UK share 10% approx. F-35B - UK share is ? %. 15%? 20%?

There there are things like testing and simulation - which should have spin offs and not just for aerospace/defence. Keeping cuts down for F-35 should also have made the whole sector more competitive.

Many aerospace components are made in the UK, even when the UK plays no real role in the aircraft. It is as if we have ISO 9001/AS9100 exporters who excel...

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Once again, someone with Google level knowledge, and grammar, makes a proclamation.
Careful, he’ll stop putting clip art in your PowerPoint presentations.

Once again, someone with Google level knowledge, and grammar, makes a proclamation.
What's particularly interesting is when you examine the comments made by @meerkatz in his earlier incarnations @sunnoficarus and @SOI. For instance post #9 back on Page 1...

Personally, I'd pull the plug thing and buy the Rafale and leverage the FAA off the Aeronavales training and support base.

There! i said it! Buy French.:x
...or #148 back in 2013...

...Nope, it's spectacularly expensive and expected to get more so. Even by Defence standards, the costs are running away with the program, even the Yanks are getting worried at the procurement and operating costs.

...5th Gen? Stealth is overated. EO systems defeat it.

Very high performance? It's not even considered high performance now. Kinematically, it's right back to the 60's.

Stealthy? Limited frontal aspect only against radars, nothing on the IR front, like the F-22

Multirole? Yes.

Integrated? Meaningless buzzword.

Sensor fused? How very BAE! Sensor fused with what? Our fleet wide integrated air/land/sea engagement and battlespace management system we don't have and won't get?

...You think?
We bought into a wizzier Harrier, not superhightech stealth fighters costing nearly as much as a Frigate a piece.
We wanted 160, we're now at best going to be able to afford 48, 3 of which will be development planes.
Yes, a stellar procurement programme, that allowing for test and development frames, and an OCU, will leave us with the grand total of two 9 plane squadrons with which to go forth on our shiny new BFO carriers and slay the fuzzy wuzzies…

…just as long as we can afford the eyewatering operating costs of these epically complex planes.
You DO remember operating costs don't you? When the GAO says things like the life cycle costs of the F-35 are 'unaffordable', and that's for the rather deep trousered Americans, it rather suggests we should sit up smartly and take notice.
Then @SOI turns up and all of a sudden...

Why on earth would we buy an inferior product like the Rafale where every Cent and all the jobs go to France?
Everyone keeps saying the F-35 is 'dearer', but is it? Every F-35 the UK buys, 30% of that spend goes straight into the UK economy and creates high skill, high tech UK jobs.
Planes like the Rafale are only 'cheaper' because the French Government is fire saleing them at effectively cost price to try and recover some of the huge loss it's incurred on the now still born programme.

LRIP 7 F-35B is $105 Million plus the engine - @$145 Million all up, not a bad cost at all when compared to the smaller and far less capable Rafale at @$120 Million once you add in some essential upgrades and systems.
And of course, lest we forget, buy Frog, you have to buy all the Frog weapons too or spend a fortune integrating your own.
Note the similar narrative styles and the registration and 'last seen' dates:

@sunnoficarus was last seen on 2 Oct 13.
@SOI registered on 7 Oct 13 and active up to at least Apr 15.
@meerkatz registered on 24 May 15.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
What's particularly interesting is when you examine the comments made by @meerkatz in his earlier incarnations @sunnoficarus and @SOI. For instance post #9 back on Page 1...

@SOI registered on 7 Oct 13 and active up to Apr 14.

Regards,
MM
Before that (and in the run up to SDSR 10) there was a 'Semper Flexibilius' or something who insisted the future for the carriers had to be CTOL or nothing.

Are you suggesting there is a bandwagon surfer in our midst?

@SOI registered on 7 Oct 13 and active up to at least Apr 15.

Regards,
MM
I’m never playing Cluedo with you...

Certainly a number of us were suspecting this to be the case.
Did they put it into the recent Syria operation against Iran after the F-16 was hit the other week I wonder?

How many F-35 is Israel planning to buy?

Did they put it into the recent Syria operation against Iran after the F-16 was hit the other week I wonder?...
The IDF-AF have apparently stated that the F-16I was lost when the crew failed to deploy countermeasures against an SA-5 shot despite warnings from their on-board systems; it's therefore been categorised as 'professional failing' (for external consumption at least!).

Either way, I doubt that incident had much influence on what was probably a planned gentle introduction to ops for their F-35Is. I suspect they've simply fed the jets into some relatively unchallenging tasks, possibly without them even having to leave Israeli airspace or employ weapons initially. I also get the impression that Israel is quite keen to use the type's capabilities in a PSYOPS role given the rumours of F-35I forays into Iran that appeared on media outlets which have previously been associated with government sponsored 'fake news.'

...How many F-35 is Israel planning to buy?
They've got plans for at least 75 x F-35Is (a sub-variant of the A with Israeli specific systems) and have also discussed procurement of some Bs for operation from short and/or austere locations.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
What complete and utter bollocks.

Regards,
MM
So you don’t believe the oracle? Wonder why?

He has previously stated that he would rather stack shelf’s at Asda than join the armed forces, funny how he perma sends on a British military forum.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
old_bloke MoD News 3
2/51 The Intelligence Cell 49
schwarzie Tanks, planes & ships 46