F35 - Money well spent.

What is the likely outcome if we refuse to go along with the US on sanctions of Iran? Is there a way Trump could pull the plug? :cool:
He could, but he won’t as it would be equally damaging for US interests.

Regards,
MM

With the same symbol repeated on the tail fin?!
Turkish jets have always had the tail flag...

However, the Islamic crescent has never appeared on their rounders previously. Perhaps they feel they need it differentiated from other all-grey F-35 roundels!

Regards,
MM

Turkish jets have always had the tail flag...

However, the Islamic crescent has never appeared on their rounders previously. Perhaps they feel they need it differentiated from other all-grey F-35 roundels!

Regards,
MM
[SPOTTER] It's the first TuAF roundel from 1913-15, albeit that 'roundel' was the origin of the famous 'square roundel' worn on Turkish aircraft until the early 1970s

The lack of a crescent was because of the post-Attaurk approach of secularism; this looks rather like Erdogan eroding that just a little bit further by putting the crescent back on the roundel. [/SPOTTER]

I am

After the 48 B models, (and I'd say there is a very good chance these will be moved under RN auspices and operated as a subset of the USMC fleet), its a fairly safe bet the order will switch to A models to replace the Tranche 1 Typhoons in the mid to late 2020's and then the newer Typhoons in the 2030's. 90 A models is about right to replace the Typhoon fleet.

I am

After the 48 B models, (and I'd say there is a very good chance these will be moved under RN auspices and operated as a subset of the USMC fleet), its a fairly safe bet the order will switch to A models to replace the Tranche 1 Typhoons in the mid to late 2020's and then the newer Typhoons in the 2030's. 90 A models is about right to replace the Typhoon fleet.
Even if Navy Command could absorb the cost of its own fast jet fleet in isolation, we’d need an entirely new fleet of boom tankers for the F-35As.

Regards,
MM

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Even if Navy Command could absorb the cost of its own fast jet fleet in isolation, we’d need an entirely new fleet of boom tankers for the F-35As.

Regards,
MM
Hush now The Oracle has spoken and he knows things. @meerkatz don’t you listen to him. He’s just an expert and we know how you hate experts. What with their knowledge and stuff.

An equipment deficit of £4.9bn out of a budget of £179.7bn amounts to a shortfall of 2.7%. The £20.8bn number is the worst case scenario where everything they can think of goes wrong and realistically isn't likely.

The items that are of the most concern are the nuclear submarine and nuclear weapons projects. The issue is that there are a lot of uncertainties involved with these at the present time. That doesn't however mean they won't get sorted out.

I wouldn't get into a panic just yet.

With regards to the F-35 project, anything beyond the 48 planes initially planned for is probably speculation at this time. The actual decision will be made by the government of the day based on many factors. Japan's direction for their next gen fighter may influence this if their talks with the UK go anywhere. Given this latter factor, the UK government may decide to keep their options open for now.

Very similar to lieger30 and his constant negativity about the UK armed forces, yet neglects the Italian contribution or lack of.
For what it is - Liger / Gabby / UK AF commentary Blog Isnt too bad - a bit OTT with the were doomed because cuts routine and a tendency to fantasy fleets.
But I think hes a better source of defence reportage than any of the news papers at present - Just have to separate fact from his opinion or perception of aspirations.

Jeneral28 on the other hand - That's proper loon spud - I cant remember his blogs name now - but its preface used to rip into Gabby and @jim30 - he hates those 2* with a passion.

*He hates me as well but I dont have a blog for him to attack

An equipment deficit of £4.9bn out of a budget of £179.7bn amounts to a shortfall of 2.7%. The £20.8bn number is the worst case scenario where everything they can think of goes wrong and realistically isn't likely...
Equipment is only one aspect. It doesn't reflect the challenges involved with personnel and infra which are closely linked, particularly in terms of retention.

...The items that are of the most concern are the nuclear submarine and nuclear weapons projects. The issue is that there are a lot of uncertainties involved with these at the present time. That doesn't however mean they won't get sorted out...
Unless Corbyn gets elected, I'd say Dreadnought is one of the safer programmes. However, that will simply aggravate the MoD's financial issues.

...I wouldn't get into a panic just yet...
I'm not panicking.

However, I do think there's a need to be realistic and those who only look at numbers of shiny 'stuff' add to the problem. We can have 100 x F-35As and 48 F-35Bs all supported by a nice new fleet of 20 x boom/drogue equipped Voyagers/A330MRRTs. However, if there's no one to fly and maintain them it's an entirely hollow force. I'd therefore willingly reduce F-35 numbers if it meant we could pay for decent accommodation and leisure facilities for service personnel and their families.

...With regards to the F-35 project, anything beyond the 48 planes initially planned for is probably speculation at this time. The actual decision will be made by the government of the day based on many factors. Japan's direction for their next gen fighter may influence this if their talks with the UK go anywhere. Given this latter factor, the UK government may decide to keep their options open for now.
I've always said we'll get no more than 100 F-35s and, as long as they stay in service alongside our Typhoons, I don't see that as a huge problem, particularly if it means more balanced capabilities elsewhere. As you say, a UK-Japan programme to replace these from around 2040 is attractive at several levels.

Regards,
MM

I've always said we'll get no more than 100 F-35s and, as long as they stay in service alongside our Typhoons, I don't see that as a huge problem, particularly if it means more balanced capabilities elsewhere. As you say, a UK-Japan programme to replace these from around 2040 is attractive at several levels.
Just think: even only a few years ago, there'd have been Zero chance of that.

I'll get my coat.

Do you think there will be a Grace period for them to work alongside both the Dave and the Taifun?

PS You deserve an Oscar for that post
To be Frank, Ida put money on it. With Japan defence exports now the Norm, here's a Slim chance that it Myrt be sooner rather than later but, really, Sonja a matter of time.

It's time someone Claude this thread back on track...

Do you think there will be a Grace period for them to work alongside both the Dave and the Taifun?

PS You deserve an Oscar for that post
Typhoon OSD is 2040 and F-35 OSD is 2050 iirc. Therefore, I'd see any new jet gradually supplanting Typhoon over a couple of years and then overlapping with F-35 for at least a decade.

Regards,
MM