F35 - Money well spent.

Considering the technology in the plane, I thinks it’s an outstanding achievement.
Very Risky development method, test and production simultaneously, but they pulled it off and hundred are already in service saving years off the usual development phase.

Let’s not forget Joint Force F-35 now has 14 production model 5th generation fighters waiting in the US to come home to the UK.
And the pilots are ecstatic about its performance, especially as a fighter.
I agree and have said many times that, given the complexity of the Programme, it's progressed pretty well. Similarly, the aircrew and maintainers are enthusiastic.

However, it's still early days and 'being a good fighter' is only one aspect of what 5th Gen should offer; there may therefore be challenges in modifying the traditional fighter pilot mindset such that the F-35B's full potential can be met.

Regards,
MM

I agree and have said many times that, given the complexity of the Programme, it's progressed pretty well. Similarly, the aircrew and maintainers are enthusiastic.

However, it's still early days and 'being a good fighter' is only one aspect of what 5th Gen should offer; there may therefore be challenges in modifying the traditional fighter pilot mindset such that the F-35B's full potential can be met.

Regards,
MM
Isn’t the point that it should be outstanding or superior not “good”?

Isn’t the point that it should be outstanding or superior not “good”?
In some respects such as pilot SA it already is a major step up. However, the F-35 is still a very immature type and, like any new combat aircraft, it'll be quite a few years before its true potential is met.

Regards,
MM

Regards,
MM
]

Agreed, the sensors and information gathering ability of the F-35 are apparently 'simply staggering'.

However, on the 'fighter' front, its proving its critics such as Ward totally wrong.
Its very fast, its very agile, (it can out Sukhoi any Sukhoi in airshow manoeuvres), and has exceptional transonic acceleration and deceleration - a real mini F-22 - with a couple of generations better electronics.
Despite Wards assertions the FAA should buy the F-18, the pilots who have flown both say the F-35 is an entirely different league.

I've seen a couple of articles today suggesting the Joint Program Office is soon to be wound up at the Pentagon's request.
Quite who exactly "the Pentagon" is, is somewhat of a mystery, it being a building, rather than a person.

just saw one last week at a local airshow - unfortunately it wasn't doing a live display ( Thunderbirds were cancelled as well due to a training fatality) . Regardless the plane was very good looking and made a F16 next to it look positively ancient.

The Pilot explained he had come from F15's and his old unit were very jealous.