F35 cuts in US could put program at risk...

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Yeoman_dai, Nov 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Link.

2. News reports on my (Septic) side of the pond are that the DoD budget will be cut $78 Billion. That works out to about GBP 50 Billion I think. Being Septic I have no real idea of the UK MoD budget but I would guess that it would be a very large chunk of your budget.

The real problem will arise when it gets to Congress. All congressmen care about is jobs in their districts to keep the labor unions and contractors happy and will cut stuff the military really needs in order to put stuff the military doesn't want back into the budget.

How would the MoD cope with a 50 million cut??

3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Considering our budget is £38 Billion, a sizeable chunk yes!!!!

4. Not really.

The US situation is completely different from ours and they can delay of put off both the B and C variants without losing capability.

USN has the F/A-18E as it's primary fighter and it still has plenty of life in it with the Block III upgrade available that can extend that out to 2035. So F-35C is not a pressing need for them and they can move the purchase to the right if needs be. I forsee the F-35C being slow timed into USN service.

USMC also flies the F/A-18 Hornet in the baby Hornet guise so they can always buy the F/A-18E to fill any gap they have. F-35B is a 'nice to have' not a 'need to have' for them. I see the F-35B being cancelled.

USAF are in the worst situation, they need the F-35A as they are facing block obsolesence of almost their entire fighter fleet of F-16's and F-15's and there's not much life in either of those designs so new build make no sense. I see the main production effort being diverted to the F-35A.

Effects on UK of all this?

Minimal. We have the ISD set about 2017 anyway for the F-35C so in effect we are already were the USN will also probably end up. An ISD of 2017 instead of 2014 as was being widely predicted a year ago..