F15s over UK South Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain why there were two US F15s flying over the South of England?
The only reports I could find somehow link themselves with another incident a couple days beforehand with the Russians and Typhoons. It only suggests a training exercise before buzzing a local control tower. Its very unusual to have military jets over the South considering the nearest airport is either Greenham Common or St Eval. (From a Google search). I'm not in the military so apologies if ive got names/info wrong etc. But I do have a keen interest in military current affairs.
Any knowledge of what is actually going on? I know we have a nuclear site and a power station, but contingency plans are in place. Just makes me think something else is going on that our beloved government is hiding from us.
Thanks

ACAB

LE
Well I haven't heard them. How do you know they are F15s considering it is dark as Hades outside?

After hearing them, local press reported on it. I don't believe everything I read in the press but when it comes from 3/4 different sources, I believe there's something in it. The airport also tweeted it as well.
This is where the confusion comes from with the incident two days earlier with the Russians flight in the English Channel

Attachments

• PicsArt_1422927051860.jpg
    PicsArt_1422927051860.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 140
Can anyone explain why there were two US F15s flying over the South of England?
The only reports I could find somehow link themselves with another incident a couple days beforehand with the Russians and Typhoons. It only suggests a training exercise before buzzing a local control tower. Its very unusual to have military jets over the South considering the nearest airport is either Greenham Common or St Eval. (From a Google search). I'm not in the military so apologies if ive got names/info wrong etc. But I do have a keen interest in military current affairs.
Any knowledge of what is actually going on? I know we have a nuclear site and a power station, but contingency plans are in place. Just makes me think something else is going on that our beloved government is hiding from us.
Thanks

Should you not be making a bacofoil trilby?

Probably nothing more sinister than the chaps out of Lakenheath doing the necessary flying at night to keep their currency, with the 'buzzing of a control tower' being them going over a building/point which has been chosen as a practice target (obviously no weapons release) or even a waypoint as part of a night navigation exercise.

Greenham Common is no longer active; it was designated as public parkland some 15-20 years ago. St Eval closed as a flying station in 1959.

There are quite a few active airfields in the South of England (using a combination of the BBC definition of 'South' and geography), including Yeovilton, Culdrose, Boscombe Down, Brize Norton, Benson and Odiham for starters.

Hmmmm spetz > spetsnatz? > Spion?

Need to know basis!

There's nothing remarkable about this at all.

jim30

LE
They were ensuring the mothership left UK airspace for Omicron Persei 8 with its latest cargo of victims, sorry 'willing volunteers' to assist our evil alien overlords. How else do you think the Queen will live forever if its not for her regular infusion of fresh tasty tasty manflesh?

lert

LE
They were ensuring the mothership left UK airspace for Omicron Persei 8 with its latest cargo of victims, sorry 'willing volunteers' to assist our evil alien overlords. How else do you think the Queen will live forever if its not for her regular infusion of fresh tasty tasty manflesh?

Just saying like, but what form does the Queen's infusion of manflesh take? I demand to be tol....

jim30

LE
Just saying like, but what form does the Queen's infusion of manflesh take? I demand to be tol....

If you could please report to the quiet backwood lane near your house where you usually go dogging (we do watch you after all), around 1930 this evening and one of my associates will happily show you. It generally helps if you've tidied up your affairs and appointed an executor for your estate. Also, don't scream - you'll only make them VERY angry...

Cynical

LE
Book Reviewer
They could have been lost.
Remember one Farnborough in 1990s when a B52G flew all the way from Idaho to make a low pass down the runway. Sat there watching and although there was engine noise there was nothing visible.
One smart about turn revealed B52 at bugger all height flying down the runway at Blackbushe -much to the delight of the local puddle jumpers.
Rest of the show was a riot -every USAF person on a stand being asked variously "which way is north?" and "what's GPS again?"

They could have been lost.
Remember one Farnborough in 1990s when a B52G flew all the way from Idaho to make a low pass down the runway. Sat there watching and although there was engine noise there was nothing visible.
One smart about turn revealed B52 at bugger all height flying down the runway at Blackbushe -much to the delight of the local puddle jumpers.
Rest of the show was a riot -every USAF person on a stand being asked variously "which way is north?" and "what's GPS again?"
Almost as good as Rapier tracking the B2 at Fairford (IIRC). Pointing Stick alarm onto the a/c, IR autotracking it (admittedly at 300 ft, not 60,000...), Queue US spokesman saying it wasn't in 'Stealth Mode' and most of the UK GBAD community rolling on the floor pissing themselves laughing.

Which rather demonstrated the naivety of the UK GBAD community regarding LO and the capabilities of the B-2.

Regards,
MM

Status
Not open for further replies.