F117 pictures

Nice link/pics!

"Lock on a F117"? 8O :roll:

There seems a lot of myths surrounding this aircraft, It does not have a Klingon cloaking device! just a smaller long range radar signature why are they so surprised it can get shot down.

Remember speaking to a RA air defence Bdr once about an airshow appearance and they locked Rapier on it for a laugh, when the septics were challenged later they excused this as they had "disabled" some gizmo for the show. :wink:

Still credit where due it is an impressive piece of kit and perhaps they have now upgraded it to Worf standard. :wink:

Live long and prosper ( :oops: oh that was Spock, never mind you know what I mean)

They were rather good them pics. Call me a mong though... (MONG!) But why does it need a parachute. Are the breaks sh1t or something?

Bad_Crow said:
They were rather good them pics. Call me a mong though... (MONG!) But why does it need a parachute. Are the breaks sh1t or something?
Certainly. You are a MONG!!!

Happy?

Thankyou. You fcuking Turd licking SkipRat. :D

Nah i know its a bit of a mongy question because it obviously needs help slowing down. But whats up with the breaks and the Uppy downy things?

How come Civvie Bill were providing the Security?

Bad_Crow said:
Thankyou. You fcuking Turd licking SkipRat. :D

Nah i know its a bit of a mongy question because it obviously needs help slowing down. But whats up with the breaks and the Uppy downy things?
Thankyou. The pleasure is all mine. :roll:

Civ pol because its at a air show, easier for civpol to justify shoting someone !

they simply say he had wires sticking out of his ARRSE.

Okay here is a technical, sorta, answer for the question over the Parachute for braking..... well first, means it can be used to land on short run ways, even the Yanks think it wise to have that capability in case they have to go for an alternate airfield landing, as i am sure they mostly use huge runways in those well kept expensive airbases, but you never know when you may need an alternate!
Second, in case the brakes are damaged and not working, it does after all stand the chance of getting shot at, means it can land with say no brakes and have a chance at stopping in time, eg parachute out, full back pressure on the stick and all spoilers and air brakes out
Third any retractable landing gear has inherent weakness, as its able to fold up and stow away, so anything that will help slow the aircraft down without stressing that rather tall gear is a good thing
and lastly but not least, its a rather nifty gimic and you know what the yanks are with their toys!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay, anyone who knows better please feel free to correct me,

Whys it called the stealth FIGHTER and got an F-number, it says it only carries air-to-ground stuff, so that makes it a BOMBER doesnt it. Although I suppose the Spam fighter pilots wouldnt let anyone else get their hands on this toy, and GR117 sounds pants really!

Gook said:
Whys it called the stealth FIGHTER and got an F-number, it says it only carries air-to-ground stuff, so that makes it a BOMBER doesnt it. Although I suppose the Spam fighter pilots wouldnt let anyone else get their hands on this toy, and GR117 sounds pants really!
<dons anorak>

The reason for the F-number works out as follows (roughly).

First, it's because designators from F-112 upwards were used to cover a variety of 'black' projects, details of which are still unclear. They supposedly include captured/'borrowed' MiGs, and it appears that the F-116 designation might have been used for 2 different aircraft.

When the US went to joint service designations in 1962 (allegedly because Robert MacNamara failed to appreciate that the USN F-4 and USAF F-110 were, in fact, the same aircraft), the designators were reset to '1'. This meant that the F-1xx series provided a very handy place to hide 'black' aircraft away from prying eyes.

This worked quite well until Northrop nearly f*ked the whole cunning plan up. They asked that what was then known as the F-5G Tigershark be redesignated, since their marketing department belatedly realised that customers thought that it was simply a warmed over version of the old F-5.

The new aircraft should have been the F-19 Tigershark as a result of any redesignation, but Northrop wanted an even number, since they thought that this would distinguish the aircraft from all the odd-numbered Soviet designations for fighters (Mig 19, etc).

The USAF branch responsible for designations said 'no', since this violated standard practice as laid out in some manual. However, it would seem that Northrop lobbied someone, somewhere, and the F-20 designation was granted. At which point, the tin foil hat brigade asked 'what's the F-19?', answering their question with 'It's the stealth fighter!'

The USAF cheerfully went along with this, proferring the (geniune) explanation that it was 'to avoid confusion with the MiG-19'. Tinfoilers everywhere said 'That's a weak excuse', and went on believing that the F-19 was a stealthy fighter, designed to gain air superiority over the Central Front. The USAF's joy was complete when model companies produced airfix kits of a frisbee-like aircraft. While the world firmly believed that the USAF was hiding a frisbee-like dogfighter called the F-19, it was quietly getting the angular attack aircraft called the F-117 into service (complete with an RAF exchange tour posting).

The precedent set by the F-105 and F-111 meant that using F-117 was appropriate. Neither the '105 or '111 was a fighter in the true sense of the word, but fitted the bill for the 'tactical fighter' description used to deliniate between an aircraft used by SAC and one employed by TAC.

<removes anorak>

the reson i have heard is alot simpler than that, Archimedes

the big wigs wanted the best pilots and the best where thought to be fighter pilots
but it was thought that no fighter pilot worth his salt would want to fly an aircraft with a B deignation ie a bomber

so they simple gave it a F designation to make it more appealing to the best pilots

was watching a programe about the F-117 and this was the explaination given by sum high up lockheed skunk works designer