F***ed Right knee

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Fang_Farrier, Jun 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Right knee is not doing what it should do.

Now 45, history of Shark's mouth tear in Lateral menicus, repaired at age 27, arthroscopy aged 30.

Painfree for many years, suddenly started clicking, locking, loss of function and quite frankly being very painful.

No specific injury as cause, just has worked up to this over last 6 weeks or so. Getting so may have to actually take time off work or take some brufen!

GP less than useless though admited have only them very briefly when they admitted to lack of knowledge and requirement for orthopedic referral.

Physio's unable to see for 4 weeks due to their worklaod, ( though manged to get it down to a week due to being NHS employee)

Any suggestions as to possible causes, possible self treatments till see professional?

2. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Tubigrip.

3. No expert but, an injury like that in your late 20's is never going to heal and there will always be a weakness. After 15 years of wear and tear and it's only giving you jip now, I'd say you 've done well. I'd deep heat the shite out of it, it may do F all, but I do enjoy the smell.

4. It'll be the dogs.

5. my knee is giving ma jip been to docs he has prescribed me diclofenac diethylammonium gel to rub in twice a day. hope this helps you

6. Neoprene braces and tubi grips do sweet **** all, if your knee really has become destabilsed then it's a choice of walking with a stick very slowy and not doing anything that might damage it further or getting a actual brace on the NHS, as in spazzy girl collection box outside the news agent brace.

Modern ones are a lot better, you might have to shell out yourself though for something a bit more racey.

7. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Welcome to the club!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. I'm amazed it's taken as long as it has to start playing up. One of my knees gives me constant shit after an old injury - what I do is slather the ****** in horse liniment when it flares up. Sounds ridiculous, but it works.

9. You forgot to mention the entheogenic Ketamine you take at the same time Kosch. Neeeiiiiggghhhhbopbopbopbopbopzzzzzzzz

10. A man's got to get his buzz on somehow.

11. Osteoarthritis? No cure,knee replacement only option,I believe.Rest easy.

12. Yes indeed!

Only advice I can give is to echo what I was told when my knee became a show-stopper at age 30; stop doing the shit that is doing the damage. I don't suppose you are a retired rugby-playing, Lynx pilot too, are you?

I guess it's too late for the other nugget, offered by an Oz Spec Med Avn; "Don't let any bastard go near your kness with a scalpel."

13. Had same thing, none waiting for knee replacement!! They won't give me one yet as I am too young, the only thing I've been too young for something in a couple of decades!!

14. If it's locking Fang, there's often a 'loose body' in the joint, could be a small chunk of knackered cartilage floating about. It's almost certainly OA to some degree, when did you last have it x-rayed (standing) to assess the joint space?

Have a look in here NICE guidelines

15. Life is like a box of chocolates. Run, Forrest, run.