Eyesight !

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Rocky30, Dec 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello chaps,

I know this is a well worn subject on here but Ive trawled through previous posts and cant find the answer I need. Im in the process of an application for 4 Para and on Saturday I had an eyetest (I already knew my eyesight was crap but I took comfort from the fact that I was originally looking at the HAC and got accepted).

This Para application seems different , I had to go to my own optician with a form for him to complete. Well according to him my Visual acuity is no worse than the minimum standard for corrected VA but I my presricption is -7.75 (right eye) and -8.75 (eye) and therefore worse than the standard for the army of -7.00.

Am I stating the obvious in that my Para career is over before it even started or can you appeal these things ?.

Im gutted as Im nearly 32 but fancied a real go at this !

Cheers

2. As far as I know, I don't think they will allow you in.
    Theres been a couple of guys/lassses at my unit that were failed on their eyesight, and were told they "could be clerks" if they wanted.
    So other than that I don't know mate, I'm sorry to say.

However, I would probably advise you keep at it until you get told a definate no or whatever - Just for the ofchance they will take you. Theres been a few people i know who had a medical conidtion such as depression (which is usually a straight no-no) but beacuse they kept up the contact and showed real interest, they got in. It may be a different matter with eyesight, but you never know.

Theres no much else you can do really, is there?
    Good luck with it though mate, let us know how it goes.

3. Have you considered laser eye surgery ?