Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by fatiguedsheep, Mar 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi im new here,i want to join the army in the future, reg/ta ill see how it goes after college/uni.
    Well i have eyesight troubes(short sighted)and when i asked in the online advice office he said specs were acceptable in some units and the army was a bit sketchy on accepting people who have has eye surgery.
    I was given info about diopers or something like that and i dont really know what mine are.Ill have to look it up again.If i were to go for eye surgery so i can see clearly at long distances,would this be acceptable?

any help appreiciated
  2. Could try eating some carrots?
  3. The cut off point is like +/-6, but I have heard of a few people who just wore contacts and said they didnt need glasses and then into training wore specs.
  4. Spectacle correction must be no greater than -7diopters or +8 in any meridian.
  5. Take the standard below to your optician they can tell you if you meet it.

Eyesight Standards The standard personal weapon is the SA80 and this requires vision in the right eye to be correctable to no less than 6/9. Vision in the left eye must be correctable to no less than 6/36. Spectacle correction must be no greater than -7diopters or +8 in any meridian. Certain types of surgery or laser treatment to correct visual defects are unacceptable and clarification should be sought prior to application.

Wearing of glasses is in itself not a ban on service. You must pass the medical and achieve the minimum standards required for both corrected and un-corrected vision.

Not to long ago any form of laser eye treatment was an instant medical rejection for service in the Army. They recently changed the policy to look at each case individually. Depending on the type of treatment carried out, the time since carried out and the final outcome of the surgery you may be considered. This is subject to final medical approval. They will consider applications from those who have had LASEK, PRK and ICRs/ICSs corrective surgery. Entry will not be considered for those who have had RK, AK or any other type incisional refractive surgery other than those listed above. All invasive intraocular surgical procedures will remain a bar to entry. Those who apply must meet 6 basic entry criteria; it will take at least 12 months from the date of surgery for the tests to be completed.