Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Arfur, May 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why does the AAC have such strict eyesight regulations for pilots? My eyesight is better than 20/20 when I've got my contacts in, but without, I'm outside the limits and so ineligible to join - a little bit frustrating as I'd love to fly (am at RMAS at the moment).

It seems odd to me that even though there's a shortage of Apache pilots and such, the AAC have such narrow application criteria. It's not as if I'd be attempting to fly in glasses, and types of contact lenses can be worn 24/7 these days.
  2. Interestingly, if your eyesight deteriorated during your flying career, you were allowed to wear glasses. Well they did 20 years ago.
  3. Is there such a thing as "better than 20/20?"
  4. Oh and shortage of Apache pilots is due largely to the lengthy training programme which has limited places rather than we simply have a shortage of applicants.
  5. Yes there is.
  6. - apparently so. I was told my left eye was 'better than 20/20' and my right 20/20 after laser surgery 18 months ago. I didn't ask the opthamologist to expand on that comment at the time as I was just so pleased with the result. One of my better decisions - absolutely no regrets!
  7. If I remember my AME correctly
    If you have 20/20 vision, it means that you can see at 20 metres (or maybe feet) what a person with normal eyesight can see at 20 metres
    If you have 30/20 vision then you can see at 30 metres waht a person with normal eyesight can see at 20 metres.

But then again, I could be wrong!
  8. Yes, that's basically it, although it's 20 ft or 6 metres, ie 6/6 vision. Even though I wear specs the optician told me that my vision is still classed as better than 20/20.

When I expressed surprised she(and a very nice she, she was!) told me that with some people, even with glasses, never get anywhere near 20/20, due to other problems with the retina, optic nerve and so on, rather than just old age problems with the lens as with me.
  9. Now I am intrigued, I want to know what my "spec" is?
  10. the eye sight limits are there for you safety, I very much doubt that there is any type of contact lense that can be worn 24/7 in the army (we tend to live in unpleasant conditions for long periods of time), and anyway thats not the problem, the problem is that your eyesight is below the limit set, there are thousands of applicants with much better eyesight than yourself so the army can afford to be picky. I wear glasses to fly so I know what I'm talking about, like you my eyesight can be corrected to 20/20 with specs but when they fall off my head I can still see further than the nose of the aircraft. live with it.

sorry for being blunt but the truth sometimes hurts