Eyesight

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by matt12, Feb 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi
    Sorry if this has been covered before I had a flick back but couldn't find any related posts.

I was under the impression that i would need perfect eyesight to fly and as I am fractionally short sighted I'd never even looked into it. I was informed recently though that this is not the case. I've just taken a look at the army website and it would appear that slightly less than perfect eyesight is acceptable as long as it is correctable. My problem is that the information given on the army site about what is acceptable is in a different format than the information then my perscription so I do not know if I am within the limits aloud.
    I will put both the army info and my perscription below to see if anybody can enlighten me.

Off army site:
    Visual Acuity without spectacles: 6/12

Visual Acuity with spectacles: 6/6

Lens power: Minus .75 Dioptres to Plus 1.75 Dioptres

Astigmatism: Maximum .75 Dioptres

My perscription:
    Sphere Cylinder Axis Distance acuity: Right 6/45 Left 6/6 (It does not say whether this is when corrected or not)
    Right -1 -0.25 80
    Left -1.5 -0.5 160

Any light anybody could shed on this would be a great help.

2. dont know about that, but when you go for the medical at cranwell, the eyesight chart is immediately left of the door as you walk in the doctors office. so glance left, memorise the bottom line and you're in ;)

3. Having been career fouled because of a fat useless recruiter's unprofessional interpretation of eyesight requirements in the PULHHEEMS Admin Pamphlet this subject gets me on my soapbox quicker than anything (even stealing my Pimms). He told me that I was permanently medically unfit for any form of service (twenty odd years later and commissioned, wonder what he would say to that, the FLUB!!) owing to a problem with one of my eyes. Now, CAA have an input into flying eyesight and it would be interesting to compare yours with what is on their website too, via a professionally qualified person, certainly not a BAT or fuel monkey.

The golden rule is, if you want your car fixed, see a VM; well intentioned people are simply that and that is why optometrists and opticians go to uni.

4. Contact the Aviation Medical centre at Middle Wallop, they will be able to tell you. I don't have the number to hand, but as an aspiring pilot, I'm sure that you can find it. :lol:

5. Mil Net (9)4329 4209 Civ 01264 784209 Will get you through to the reception.

6. Thank you for all your help.

I've just got off the phone now and unfortunatly i'm just out of the range so it looks like aviation is out :(

Matt

7. Matt, Dont give up so easily!!! Have you thought about laser surgery? Its just a thought but it might be worth pursuing, all they can say is "no" and it shouldnt cost you anything for a consultation. Be positive, pursue your dream.

8. Its funny you should mention that because I was on the phone today to the doctor at rcb about laser eye surgery. He basically said I can have it done but i would have to wait a year after having it done before I could attend sandhurst, on the other hand once you are commissioned these rules do not apply and you are fine to get it done.

As for the relevance with this and the air corp i assumed that they would not touch you if you'd had laser eye surgery as it is a bit of an unknown quantity?.

9. talk to the military experts!!! be warned,,,,,,,,,,,,

10. As a side-note, ASAIK, the UK Civil Aviation Authority will not countenance laser eye surgery for commercial pilots.

Standards must have changed in the Corps, as I recall a mate known as 'Blind Pew' who passed both ACM(O) and APC.

11. each eyesight prescription is different; Yorkshires finest were once checking drivers, they only stopped those wearing glasses the thick ufcks; people who wear glasses generally do so to see properly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,speak to the experts peeps,,,,,,,,,,,,

12. Do not, do not, repeat DO NOT entertainn laser eye surgery. As has been said, the CAA will ground professional pilots out of hand and so will the military. As a side note, the US have been doing laser eye surgery this for about three years now in the aviation community, UK is adopting a "watch and shoot" policy.

13. I've got an AirTpr with a similar predicament and he was initially told that his vision wasn't good enough but has had a civvy optometrist check him out and had some encouraging numbers. He will shortly get checked out at ASC Cranwell for the definitive answer. So persevere and don't let them reject you on paper - let them look you in the eye and then look you in the eye and give you a straight answer.

Good luck - plenty of people fly with corrected vision. :wink: