Eyesight Requirements Tables from PAP10

John Wick

Swinger
On the guide it only specifies between pilot or soldier, I presume ground crew is classed as soldier and that has a eyesight requirement of 3/1 3/1

Dizzee367

Old-Salt
Ah I see, oh well. RAC and RA are my first and second choices anyway so I'm just glad to hear I qualify for both. Rarely ever wear my glasses but I've always thought my eyesight was shit, so I was just worried I wouldn't be able to get into the army.

John Wick

Swinger
Yeah judging by the Pulhheems system you're good to go on your first two so happy days. Make sure you have a Up to date optometrist report for your medical etc showing your corrected and uncorrected vision as you've stated above. Good luck.

Dizzee367

Old-Salt
Yeah judging by the Pulhheems system you're good to go on your first two so happy days. Make sure you have a Up to date optometrist report for your medical etc showing your corrected and uncorrected vision as you've stated above. Good luck.
Thats what I had done today, got given the report sheet at my army brief to take to the opticians for them to fill in. Just need to send it off now which I'll do tomorrow. Thanks!

John Wick

Swinger
Yep that's it mate, should take around a week to get the answers you want but I'm confident you're good for your first two choices

Hi, sorry if this has already been asked in some form- currently I'm sending an optician's report showing that my eyesight has improved to Glencorse medical board. Previously, my eyesight led to my discharge from 52 MI Gateshead- I was attested and the next day I was informed that I had been discharged; apparently my eyesight has now changed to exactly 6.00 in my right eye, and I'm now asking to be readmitted. Can anyone give me an idea as to how likely I am to succeed?

This is a great thread! According to that list then, what trades are the least strict on eyesight requirements? You see i have amblyopia ( lazy eye) , to make it worse i have it in my right eye. I can see out of it easily etc im not blind but it is poor. On the eye chart i can see the top big letter and the two underneath but not much more. Glasses and contacts can't correct it as its more to do with the brain. My left eye is perfect. Always wanted to join the army but i dont know what trades i can if any at all. Any suggestions?
I was diagnosed with a lazy eye, turned out I have not got a lazy eye but do have astigmatism in the right eye. It sucks being left eye dominant and right handed but I was able to pick any trade by eye tests when I joined.

I did get jokes from the DS about having a lazy body/attitude etc. to go with the lazy eye. How I laughed.

I have amblyopia and strabismus in my right eye but my visual acuity in both eyes is:
Right eye: 6/9 unaided
Left eye 6/6 unaided
Would my squint / wonkeye stop me from joining? Because this has been a life long dream for me.

Sorry to revive this thread but could someone just clear something up.

'Can't read 6/60 = 8'
Infantry (Including Para**):
All - R 8/3, L 8/6

Does that imply if you fail to read 6/60 ( 8 ) but have a corrected vision of 6/12 (3) you're still eligible for service?

I just thought I'd confirm because it seems most roles are R8 L8 (unaided).

Last edited:
Just a quick one;

>Unaided Visual Acuity

Binocular vision: 6/5

Right eye: 6/5 Left: 6/15

>Aided visual acuity

Binocular vision: 6/5

Right eye: 6/5 Left: 6/12

My prescription is Right 5+ Left +6.

Would this be acceptable to join RLC?

Cheers
Knighty

DirtbagCivvy

Old-Salt
Again another apology for reviving an old thread;
I haven’t got glasses but eyesight is 20/20 right eye and 20/30 left eye, using a size adjusted Snellen chart at 3 metres, and cannot for the life of me work out what this means on the figures at the first post, anyone think it will stop me joining as Recy Mech?

Latest Threads