eyesight problems?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by ben1985, Jun 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there, got my BARB test booked on 23rd July

I think I'm settled on the Infantry, i wear contact lenses usually but also have glasses, i have given a form to my optician to fill in that came with the application form, without my glasses on i can't see the tv usually but i walk around normally, it's just i can't see things in far things in high detail, saying that when glasses/contact lenses are in i can see perfect,

ive never had any eye diseases at all so I'm assuming there will be no problem?

2. Let's hope the enemy aren't more than a rooms length away in case you don't have your glasses to hand.

3. From what I can gather, every job has a minimum uncorrected value, and a minimum corrected value. (Individually for each eye!)

The best thing to do, is speak to the recruiter about where you want to be, and they can give you the requirements - I would take a copy of your opticians form for future reference when you find out what all the numbers mean.

4. i can tell you them now, it know it's short sighted, but very mildly, im hoping someone who knows the figures can tell me

left eye: -2:50 DS
    right eye: -2:25 DS

fingers crossed

Ben

5. I did read somewhere, that the min uncorrected was -7, but not sure if it was a pi$$ take or not?!

6. i hope so mate, i hope so!, can anybody comfirm this?, even if it's a little lower i don't need to worry until it's about -3 uncorrected,

I need someone who's been/in the infantry who's sights is the same or worse then mine, i will get in!

Ben

7. Good luck with the eyes, and the BARB! Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

8. You are mildly short sighted. That's about my prescription, and never had a problem. I think you are getting worried about nothing.

9. You shouldn't have any probs, my eyesight was terrible when I joined (that was quite a long time ago mind you) but with a few exceptions, as long as your eyes are healthy and your vision can be corrected with normal glasses or contact lenses you can be almost blind, well not quite but certainly -7 is not a p*ss take.

10. You should be all right I'm roughly similar to you and wear contact lenses, make sure you optician fills that form in as it will help you get corrective goggles fitted in you S10 ressie

11. I'm a wee bit worse than that and I'm fine - couldn't do tanks though, but having said that they do have the highest sight requirements.

Mate, find out your VA (Visual Acuity) and then look up something called PULHEEMS - I'm rushing out the door or else I'd explain it you now, but don't worry your eyes are fine.

12. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

My bold. Not quite true. As some have already said there are minimum correction values and you need to ensure that the recruiter’s sorts this early after you have produced your prescription to avoid unnecessary disappointment.

13. Ben1985
    On the form for the optician it tells you the limt for entry. mine is about the same and my recruiter told me i should be fine. He did say tho it may bar you from some jobs in the RAC due to some of the optics they use. hope this helps.

DM

14. If they say no - demand to see an equity advisor!!

15. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

What is an equity advisor. I have a nephew who has just been rejected even though the ACIO had his opticians report last August and am interested.