eyesight .. infantry

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Chris_2oo6, Aug 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. apparently the eyesight requirements are

6/6 both eyes together, 6/6 one eye, 6/12 other eye

both my eyes are 6/5, does this make them better or worse than above?? ^^

i duno how it works out
  2. worded that wrong soz

they're 6/5 when corrected

right eye is -2.00 / 1.75 x 110

left eye is -2.50 / 1.50 x 70

anyone in the know.. is that too blind for the infantry?! its not that bad like.. i can survive without them
  3. Ok, get those eyesight requirements printed off and pay for a private eye examination, show the optician the requirements and he'll tell you on the spot, it'll cost you 25 nicker maximum, but your peace of mind is worth it. Thats what I did and I thought I was blind as a bat, apparently not though.
  4. I am really blind and the Infantry had me, my eyes are much worsr than the required standard.
  5. We had a bloke in our Coy nick named Woggle Eye so don't worry about it too much,but like your man Morty say's go get it checked out by a profesional for piece of mind...
  6. yeah av got an appointment at the opticians tomoz

to fill in this questionnaire i got from the careers along with the medical one

last time i had me eyes tested was in jan.. but i may aswell get another 1 tomoz whilst i need these forms doin, only gona cost me £12 before 12pm

me eyes have hardly changed aswell in 5 years..so hopefully they wont get any worse in the near future.
  7. 6/6 = perfect vision. (It is the same as 20/20 vision)

here are the standard eyesight requirements:

I would say you would be fine.
  8. can i wear contacts in iraq help me no
  9. can i wear contacts in belize
  10. You can wear womens underwear if you wish.
  11. No idea scouse! Why not?

As for the eyesight thing:

The requirements SorridStroker posted show that Chris will be fine.

Just for anyone else who might be wondering how the 6/6 thing works, 6/6 is good/acceptable vison. There is no such thing as 'perfect vision', its just that 6/6 is adopted as the measurement where no visual impairment is said to be present. You can have better vison that this.

20/20 is the same, 6 metres is (approx) = 20 feet, that's where it comes from.

How it works is this, if your vison is x/y then it means you can see at 'x' distance what a person with no impairment can see at 'y' distance.

Normally, the test is done at 6m so the first number is 6. 6/6 means you can see at 6m what a person with unimpaired vision an see at 6m. In other words, you have unimpaired vision.

If you have 6/12, then you can see at 6m what an unimpaired person can see at 12m. In other words, you can only see things clearly from half as far as a person with good eyesight.

On the other hand, if you have 6/5, then you can see at 6m what an unimpaired person can see at 5m, so your eyesight is better that theirs. So you have better than 6/6 (20/20) eyesight.

The snellen charts used for eye exams have the numbers written below them and start big with something like 6/24, going down through 6/6 to 6/4 etc etc.
  12. does anyone worn contacts lens out in iraq
  13. sorry to drag this back up like

i can only read the top line , maybe the second line on the chart..without glasses/contacts

got a funny feelin that falls below infantry standards :/

can see perfect wen corrected.. do they go off uncorrected or corrected standard of vision?
  14. Check sorridstoker's post above. As long as your eyesight is correctable to those standards and your lenses are within those powers, then you'll be fine.
  15. cheers

shouldnt be a problem then hopefully

can only read the top line without them :/