Eyesight in the army+contacts

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Jack06, Jun 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi guys
    Just wanted people's thoughts on wearing long-wear contacts i.e 30 day continuous wear disposables in the army. I am going into a non-combat role (mechanic) and find spectacles to be quite uncomfortable. If there is anyone who wears contacts in the army, who would be able to advice, it would be very much appreciated!
    cheers lads

2. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I've been wearing soft 'daily wear' contacts of various types for 18 years: the only time I've ever had a lens related problem was in Belize when I picked up a minor eye infection. Contact lenses aren't a problem or an issue unless you're trying to be a pilot or trying to join the SAS.

3. hi punk
    thanks for the quick reply. Do you have problems on night exercises or exercises that go on for a couple of days. (by night I mean you wear contacts throughout the day, would u put a new pair in for the night?)
    jack

4. The SAS will not allow applicants to wear glasses. They have to wear soft contact lenses. The eyesight requirement for the SAS is exactly the same as for regular infantry - 6/6 both eyes together, 6/6 one eye, 6/12 other eye (all corrected figures)

5. During the jungle phase of selection there used to be, maybe there still is, a degree of supervision of those candidates who wear contact lenses to ensure they are looking after their eyes properly.

6. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Vaguely related, whats the state of play for laser corrective surgery these days?

7. I wear the long wear contacts and i find them fantastic, however you need to keep them really clean which sometimes can be a nightmare in the field, i ended up with a blister type thing on my eyeball after collecting sh1te behind one of them while on exercise in Cyprus and then ended up having to put cum like lotion in my eye and having to wear my specs for a month (which makes me look like howard from the halifax!!!) (the glasses that is not the cum like lotion) if you are in a cushty number though and wont be out humping it in the ashau valley then you should be fine

8. I wore contacts for 15 years of my army service and never had any problems with it. When I went out on ex with Div HQ etc I tended to leave 'em in but took along contact friendly eye drops.

I've known a couple of guys get corrective laser surgery done but if I recall the MoD won't help out if anything goes wrong and they used to recommend you didn't get it done. (Maybe because it was new "technology" and the long-term effects were unknown?)

9. brilliant!
    thanks a lot for all your help guys
    I will go for the long wear contacts, one last question, they recommend taking the contacts out of your eyes every week, does anyone actually do this?

10. Nope, only when my eyes sting!, kept one pair in for about fourty five days before too (Bad memory). everynow and again i do put my specs on though but only in the confines of my own home! :lol:

11. yeh us sight-challenged people, don't want the world knowing about it!
    cheers again guys
    very much appreciated!

12. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Maybe its changed then, but the uncorrected standard to pass the medical for 22 SAS selection used to be the same as for volunteers for AAC pilot training.

13. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I've never had a problem of that kind. I usually just wear them as I would normally. If I have to stay awake in excess of 24 hours, I'll either give them a quick clean and soak or put my specs on for a bit to give my eyes a rest.

14. good stuff
    thanks again!

15. Be really careful with the wear all month lenses, I ended up with ulcers in both eyes through them!

VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY painful, and I had to have eyedrops every hour for a week so I got very little sleep...