Eyes Down Gents, your expertise needed

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Pronto_Mike_Uniform, Mar 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have here a present from the Mrs PMU in 2000/2001. Receipt says C 19th Sporting Gun.

Some proof marks stamped on the top of the barrel.

Anyone throw any further light or advise on type, use value etc?

My eternal thanks

2. and proof marks here
  3. Shotgun loosely based on the P53, circa 1850-60. Looks like Birmingham commercial proofs with the number in the middle indicating "bore". Might be a makers mark inside the lock and/or under the breech.

Value: A few 100 at most, depends on bore condition too. Something to keep loaded with rock salt by the flont door for the Jehova's Witnesses IMO.
  4. C_M is correct (as usual) - the left mark is the Birmingham inspection mark, crossed scepters - crown at the top and the letter V at the bottom. The mark on the right is the Birmingham proof mark, same crown and scepters but the letters B C P added into the crosses.

It does not look to have the Birmingham provisional proof mark that was required under the proof law of 1855 and would have been a crown over the letters PP so that would put him in the right time period too.
  5. Oooh, I never thought of that, and as for Halloween! I'll give em Trick or Treat. Thanks for the input though, I looked to see if it had the Purdey mark anywhere :lol: No joy though.

So safe to flog for a couple of hundred and invest in a little treat for myself :)
  6. Sorry about the quality but could this be the proof mark you mean (1855)
  7. Looks like the one!
  8. Much appreciated Gents.