Eyes and The SAS / SBS

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by BARB0UR, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

It has been awhile since I posted, this is purely theoretical as I do not intend to join the SAS / SBS (don't be sily) . But can a royal marine or paratrooper join the two regiments above if they wear glasses, contacts or have had laser eye surgery that has gone successfully?
  2. It doesn't matter, they put black tape over your eyes anyway.
    • Like Like x 11
    • Funny Funny x 5
  3. I believe you need 20/20 un aided for SAS but you can wear glasses/contact lenses in the SRR as long as your eye sight isn't too bad.

As for laser eye surgery, maybe.
  4. my experience is that glasses get blown off on exit...hence the need for black tape
  5. I was under the impression that a soldier who wears glasses gets better zoom when looking through magnifying sight.

Is that not right?

6. A little bird has told me that all members of UkSF now get fitted with telescopic eyes similar to the six million dollar man.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Unless things have changed very recently, the army takes a pretty dim view on laser eye surgery. This is because the eyes never properly heal and so the individual is permanently left vulnerable to infection, plus the question mark over the longer term implications. I would be amazed if you would pass the SF medical screening having had your eyes lasered (of course I could be wrong).

Also, to correct your other assertion, you don't need to be a para or marine to join the SAS/SBS.
  8. Strictly not true.
  9. That might confirm what I read the other day about frogmen being given liquid oxygen in their scuba gear to stop the bubbles giving away their presence on the surface.

10. Barbour, if you are serving go into the office tomorrow & get the entry standards DIN on DII. It's all in there. Also a section in the AGAI's about eyesight standards & Laser Eye Surgery - there is a certain type that the army isn't too keen on.
  11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

There are no bubbles with oxygen rebreathers anyway, liquid O2 may cause a couple of issues with regard to its temperature......which may affect the delicate bionic electronics...
    • Like Like x 1

12. I'm afraid you may find you damn well do have to be a booty to serve in the SBS!!!!
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  13. I think you'll find that you're talking shit. The SBS have most applicants from the Bootys, for obvious reasons, but the Tri-services are eligible to apply.
  14. Sure of that?

Bugger: Beaten by Smudger.
  15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

As long as they have a swimming test pass in docs - its not a free for all.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.