Eye sight requirements

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Haribo, Oct 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi i was wondering if someone could help me im a bit confused on the above my right eye is -3.25 and my left is -3.50 (or so it says on my prescription) is this gonna effect my application to join?
    any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

2. oh forgot to add that this is for contacts, not sure if this makes a difference
  3. I doubt if it's changed much since I was in, I was -4.00 right, -4.50 left and wore contacts. Never ever wear your contacts when there's CS gas about, unless you like the idea of a corneal transplant, other than that the biggest problem I had was the (gas permeable) contact lenses popping out when I was doing drill (eyes left and blink, and there went another one...)
  4. Hmmm no i dont think i want a corneal transplant lol :)
    was your eye sight like that when you joined up? just worried that its going to bar me entry eek
  5. Other than you wont get to join "Them" or fly whirlybirds not a lot of impact (I believe they both need near perfect vision).

You may even find you shoot blind better than with your glasses - I think it's down to having one less refractive layer in the sight path.
    If anyone knows for certain please correct me please.
  6. ta for that but still a little confused it says "visual acuity between 6/6 and 6/12" is that just like my -3.25 but in a different format, im not understanding it oops!
  7. haha i'll bear that in mind - though if i did that i probably wouldnt be able to see the target
  8. Visual acuity is not the same as the measurements taken for your prescription. A visual acuity of 6/6 means that when you look at something 6 metres away, it's as clear as if it was 6 metres away. A VA of 6/12 means that the object 6 metres away is as clears as if it was 12 metres away... The key thing is "corrected", your vision has to be at least 6/12 when wearing glasses/contact lenses.

Yes that was my vision when I joined. With my glasses/contacts, my VA was 6/6, without it was probably about 6/60 (I couldn't see anything clearly that was more than a foot away from my face).

If you can read a number plate at 20 metres away (the eyesight test for your driving license), you'll be fine. That limit is 6/9.

If your prescription hasn't changed in the last couple of years, have a look at laser correction. I had my eyes lasered 5 years ago and it was the best money ever spent. The savings in contacts, solutions and frames have already paid for it.
  9. thanks for clearing that up for me Grey Mafia i really was confused.com about it, you have eased my mind i can do the number plate from 20m away with contacts/glasses so should be ok

i have thought about corrective laser surgery but you need to wait a year from the date you have it done to be able to join and im going to be 28 in Feb so need to crack on with my application as i'm not getting any younger haha
  10. Best of luck Haribo :)
  11. Mate, I haven't read through all this but in a nutshell, yes, you have to have eyes to join the army. Hope that helps.
  12. most helpfull thing i've heard all day ;-)

na seriously thanks for the replies guys, booked an eye sight test to double check as the last one i had was a year ago and then i've got it if i need to to it to the selection centre, just want this so bad this is the only thing i may have problems with