eye problem?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by rjm_snafu, Mar 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

I’ve just taken my BARB test and physical test and I’m happy that I’ve passed them both and I’m looking to join the infantry but I’m a bit worried about my medical. I don’t wear glasses and have good vision when both my eyes are open but when I close my left eye my right eye is seriously short sited.

To give you a bit off an idea of how rubbished it is I have to get within 5 inches of my computer screen to read the font on this page. :( I’ve got no problem with having lesser eye surgery and I have the money for it as I’m currently being made redundant from my current job but I relay don’t want to wait a year to get in. Any advice or comments would be much appreciated

Thanks

2. I have a similar problem. When I close both my eyes, I cant see a thing and bump into things. Didn't stop me from joining though

Hope this helps

3. Year thanks mate I fink ill just poke my right eye out might solve the problem

4. Sounds like you might seriously benefit from corrective eye surgery.
    Unless you get it sorted one way or another (Glasses maybe) there is no way you will ever be able to shoot straight. You might have got away with it if it was your left eye that was screwed up.

See an optician and find out what your options are before you go any further.

5. This has made me think of a question my local recruitment office couldn't answer.

What are the eyesight requirements for the infantry? I need glasses to correct my eyesight for driving - to be able to read roadsigns. I can still make out objects (and people) in the distance well enough to distinguish what the objects are.

And if corrective eye surgery is required, what restrictions (time or otherwise) are in place for signing up and training?

Thanks,

Omega.

EDIT: Spelling mistake. Typing too fast and didn't check my errors. :roll:

6. You need to et it sorted out.

As far as I know you need to keep one eye closed when firing the SA80?

7. Thanks guys it’s just relay a problem with reading I can still see what’s in front of me it’s just blurred ill book an appointment with the opticians to get it checked out

As far as I no you can join 1 year after having corrective surgery

8. It's a pity that it isn't your left that's dodgy. Treatment is a minefield. Read loads and don't have LASIK - you don't need a flap on your eye, so if you do have surgery have PRK/LASEK.

But there are major questions. If you are young then your prescription could change later which would be a nightmare if you had surgery.

A low and simple myopia prescription with no other problem that has been stable for a long time is (pretty) easily fixable, but research, pay extra for an experienced surgeon and a fancy laser, and be aware that surgery will downgrade for a long time with the army.

9. I have the same problem but with my left eye, so my right eyes stronger. Now, from what ive heard it does exclude you from certain regiments and it is prefered to have a right stronger than left not left over right, Although im not 100% sure :?