• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Extreme races?

Well extreme-ish. Anybody got any good ideas for more adventurous runs etc than the usual fun run. Did the toughguy thing in Jan and am looking to do the Hell Runner in November which are good for a start but does anybody have any better ideas or better still any recommendations for events they know of/have done. I'm pretty clueless on whats out there, had a google on the subject but recomendations are probably a better way to pick.
The more challenging/insane the better.
Cheers all.

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
A good event is the Devizes to Westminster Canoe Race.

125 miles, 87 locks and a lot of paddling.

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
I am not sure what you mean. The correct verb to describe propulsion in a Kayak or canoe is 'to paddle'.

So I have nothing to prove.........

Edited to add: Callum13 - Since you can't be arrsed to google it here is a clicky to DW Race website. You won't do well if you can't motivate yourself to check.

MrNurse said:
Well extreme-ish. Anybody got any good ideas for more adventurous runs etc than the usual fun run. Did the toughguy thing in Jan and am looking to do the Hell Runner in November which are good for a start but does anybody have any better ideas or better still any recommendations for events they know of/have done. I'm pretty clueless on whats out there, had a google on the subject but recomendations are probably a better way to pick.
The more challenging/insane the better.
Cheers all.
Have you considered adventure racing?

The Rat Race is a good series to get into here - HERE and check out SleepMonsters Here.

If you are looking for some enduro type racing ever considered an Ironman Triathlon, if you cant swim consider Duathlon - Ballbuster is great, or maybe have a crack at extreme/ultra running Here

The next blue ribbion event I want to tick off my list is the Bob Graham Round - any here already done it?

Here

Cheers so far.
Need to learn to canoe first for some of these, but would quite like to so maybe thats motivation enough. Definately gonna have a look at those ultra running races,

One of our lads has just come back from a 7 day a marathon run through the Sahrah (spelling?) desert. Guess whos carrying the gun from now on?

Raised over £700 for RBL. I'll try and get details.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Some of the Af races are good.

Namibian Ultra Desert Marathon - 120 km within 24 hrs, but won this year by Thomas Maguire in 17h 15'
Carry your own kit although water will be provided every 20 k.
Susan McDonagh at: Susan@acrossthedivide.com

The Comrades Marathon from PMB to Durbs - or vice versa. It's only 89 km within 12 hrs
Just beat 5h 35' 51" - piece of piss. :)
http://www.comrades.com/
Sam Tshabalala ran into the history books in 1989 when he won the down run in a time of 5 hr 35min 51 sec. This time would have secured him further wins in subsequent years, but this was sadly not to be. Sam was seriously injured in a motor accident in 1991. After the most remarkable and courageous fight-back Sam returned to again attempt Comrades in 1992, when he finished in the excellent time of 6 hr 23 min to secure a silver medal. He has continued running, achieving another 3 silver medals and is always greeted with a rousing welcome at the finish. In March of 1998 Sam was awarded the prestigious Platinum Medal by the CMA in recognition of his contribution to the Comrades Marathon.

There were a couple of 100 milers/24hrs, The Foot being one, but I don't think they run them any more as society has become too soft. :wink:

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
I heard the Eskimos were a pretty extreme bunch - wot with all that cold an'all . . .

aaahhh, my taxi . .

Two Oceans Ultra Marathon in SA.

Run from the Indian Ocean to the Atlantic across the African isthmus. Need to qualify with a marathon within the calander year before you can enter. Claims to have the most beautiful running route in the world. A friend of Mrs ITC did it a few years ago and raved about it.

Linky

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
in_the_cheapseats said:

Run from the Indian Ocean to the Atlantic across the African isthmus. Need to qualify with a marathon within the calander year before you can enter. Claims to have the most beautiful running route in the world. A friend of Mrs ITC did it a few years ago and raved about it.

Linky
ITC, the Two Oceans is only 56 km !
MrNurse said he wanted something extreme.

Seriously though the Two Oceans really is a damn good run plus it's a qualifier for the Comrades. if you're going to go for it.

Cutaway said:
in_the_cheapseats said:

Linky
ITC, the Two Oceans is only 56 km !
MrNurse said he wanted something extreme.

Seriously though the Two Oceans really is a damn good run plus it's a qualifier for the Comrades. if you're going to go for it.
I know, I know but it is managable without sending massive amounts of time and money in prep. + I like SA - good people.