Extreme races?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by MrNurse, Apr 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well extreme-ish. Anybody got any good ideas for more adventurous runs etc than the usual fun run. Did the toughguy thing in Jan and am looking to do the Hell Runner in November which are good for a start but does anybody have any better ideas or better still any recommendations for events they know of/have done. I'm pretty clueless on whats out there, had a google on the subject but recomendations are probably a better way to pick.
    The more challenging/insane the better.
    Cheers all.

2. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

A good event is the Devizes to Westminster Canoe Race.

125 miles, 87 locks and a lot of paddling.

3. Prove it..

4. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

I am not sure what you mean. The correct verb to describe propulsion in a Kayak or canoe is 'to paddle'.

So I have nothing to prove.........

Edited to add: Callum13 - Since you can't be arrsed to google it here is a clicky to DW Race website. You won't do well if you can't motivate yourself to check.

5. extreme ironing...fun and practical!?

Attached Files:

6. Check out "The West Highland Way" race. 95miles, 35 hours. Extreme enough?

7. Have you considered adventure racing?

The Rat Race is a good series to get into here - HERE and check out SleepMonsters Here.

If you are looking for some enduro type racing ever considered an Ironman Triathlon, if you cant swim consider Duathlon - Ballbuster is great, or maybe have a crack at extreme/ultra running Here

The next blue ribbion event I want to tick off my list is the Bob Graham Round - any here already done it?

Here

8. Cheers so far.
    Need to learn to canoe first for some of these, but would quite like to so maybe thats motivation enough. Definately gonna have a look at those ultra running races,

9. One of our lads has just come back from a 7 day a marathon run through the Sahrah (spelling?) desert. Guess whos carrying the gun from now on?

Raised over £700 for RBL. I'll try and get details.

10. That will be The Marathon Des Sables http://www.saharamarathon.co.uk/index.html
    but is as hard to get on it as it is to do it.

11. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Some of the Af races are good.

Namibian Ultra Desert Marathon - 120 km within 24 hrs, but won this year by Thomas Maguire in 17h 15'
    Carry your own kit although water will be provided every 20 k.
    Susan McDonagh at: Susan@acrossthedivide.com

The Comrades Marathon from PMB to Durbs - or vice versa. It's only 89 km within 12 hrs
    Just beat 5h 35' 51" - piece of piss. :)
    http://www.comrades.com/

There were a couple of 100 milers/24hrs, The Foot being one, but I don't think they run them any more as society has become too soft. :wink:

12. Mountain Marathons?
    eg http://www.lamm.co.uk/
    They have multiple classes so they're as challenging as you want to make them.

13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I heard the Eskimos were a pretty extreme bunch - wot with all that cold an'all . . .

aaahhh, my taxi . .