Extreme anti-Woke among the young

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

philc

LE
No, I’m not - and I’m frustrated at not being able to find the link. It was MSM and talked about the presumption against male teachers in primary schools.

It wasn’t about males electing not to get in. It was about them being ‘encouraged‘ out.
Thinking about this, I started Primary School mid 60s, we had no male teachers, just an elderly Male headmaster.

I asked my wife if she had male teachers at Primary, she said, no she then pointed out the shortage was possibly due to the War, young officer class not coming home etc. So I am none the wiser.

Its an odd one.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Surely Primary teaching has always been dominated by women? In my Primary ('70s), the only men were the Headmaster and the caretaker.

In my kids' Primary (2005-2015), the only men were the Deputy Head, a very camp young newly qualified teacher for one year, and the caretaker.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Thinking about this, I started Primary School mid 60s, we had no male teachers, just an elderly Male headmaster.

I asked my wife if she had male teachers at Primary, she said, no she then pointed out the shortage was possibly due to the War, young officer class not coming home etc. So I am none the wiser.

Its an odd one.
In my experience, and as an army brat I moved around and went to a few more than most, infant and primary schools were always female-dominated. The forces-run schools in Germany tended to have more males. My last, in Middlesbrough, had from memory just two male teachers and a male head (who was absolutely idolised by all; I was messaging with a friend from school just a few weeks back and she mentioned how she "adored Mr Lake's assemblies").

But that was mid 1970s/early 1980s. I'm talking about 20 years on, when things seemed to have got more overtly political.

This is derailing the thread, though.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
...although (he said, trying desperately to get the thread back on track) this:
I think you may be confusing that with the moral panic about 'male aggression' in Primary Schools some years ago which centred round discouraging kids from character-building activities such as pretending that sticks were guns and deciding who would be the Germans. Essentially right on groups of female teachers had little or no understanding of male patterns of play and viewed competitiveness/playing 'war' as the work of the Devil/Patriarchy.
...would certainly explain a lot of what we are seeing now.

Blimey, look at that; something that I, as a white male, aren't guilty of for once.

...although (he said, trying desperately to get the thread back on track) this:

...would certainly explain a lot of what we are seeing now.

Blimey, look at that; something that I, as a white male, aren't guilty of for once.
You’re breathing so still guilty.

I'll take Nazi thanks, it's less extremist.
You jest but you make a salient point.
I've posted this before but it warrants a repeat.

An old work colleague who had dealings with both sides from the 40's onwards once said to me:

"The Nazis were bad but you knew where you stood with them. The Russians <slow intake of breath and shake of the head> there was no telling what they'd do next. They'd turn up and take you away and that was it, nobody ever knew why."

They look like a dangerously out of touch party, with BLM and ANTIFA as their home grown stormtroopers they can’t/won’t control.
...and unlike Hitler Biden and his ilk won't have the b*lls to run a Night of the Long Knives against BLM and ANTIFA to bring them to heel.

Yokel

LE
I think you may be confusing that with the moral panic about 'male aggression' in Primary Schools some years ago which centred round discouraging kids from character-building activities such as pretending that sticks were guns and deciding who would be the Germans. Essentially right on groups of female teachers had little or no understanding of male patterns of play and viewed competitiveness/playing 'war' as the work of the Devil/Patriarchy.
Have you seen the YouTube videos with Christina Hoff Summers? She has written and spoken about this extensively. For example, she concludes that one of the reasons boys perform worse than girls at reading is because the books offered are unappealing to them. I have mentioned this on the education standards thread.

All part of an anti male drive?

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
To be fair to India in that respect, Australia and Canada are both very young countries by comparison whose (pretty damn small) populations were imported from Britain or Britain and France and the indigenous populations were tiny and at a massive technological disadvantage. India however was ancient by the time the Brits arrived with a patchwork of nations, languages, religions and cultures and a huge population many of which had hated each other for many centuries there had been plenty of time for what can be labelled as racism and the caste system certainly made for friction. The only thing that stopped the many wars was the British Empire siding with a few selected leaders and stomping the rest and imposing order.
Modern India is degenerating a bit into the old ways and we've already seen several partitions and plenty of tensions break out into armed mayhem, the racism between groups has never gone away and probably never will. Humans are tribal by nature, just look at sports like Wendyball, Rugby, Cricket, Hockey etc you see tribalism very clearly displayed.

Worth noting that the princes were Muslim, generally ruling people that were not in the vast majority of cases. We didn't invent or impose the entire power structure on the continent, we merely replaced the leaders with ourselves.

Importantly the Indian caste system and religions in general seem to utterly reject the notion of equality. Something I have been pondering on recently... Which is at the heart of the various nefarious cultural movements such as feminism. Humans are not equal and it is not obvious to me that any successful religions or societies promoted the notion.

At our most successful as a nation we had the class system, which wasn't a million miles from the caste system. Whilst the concept of people knowing their place is sneered at today as being opposed to equality, knowing one's place also meant knowing one's role and responsibilities in society as a whole. The Victorians were a bit obsessed with bees for this reason, the idea that knowing your role and place made for a better hive for everyone. Seems to me it was a matter of pride rather than forelock tugging from the working classes, and one of grace rather than contempt from the ruling classes. Everyone still hated the slimy middle classes, so that was ok.

Our strong institutions are based upon these principles, though they are now entirely riven with an idiocracy of wokists / feminists / globalists whose political commissars in the form of Equality and Diversity managers are more equal ( and better paid!) than others, so it isn't obvious to me how this could change. I doubt we have ever had a bigger ideological gap between the governors and the governed.

Interestingly the term meritocracy was coined as a warning for what would happen, rather than describing a fair and just society as the arch feminist Blair used it. It was originally termed as a warning of a dystopian nightmare.

Which we now live in.... So good on the yoofs for recognising this.

While I earnestly wish you were right, I doubt you are.

Universities are full on woke now and there's a fair bit of indoctrination of teachers in schools with reading lists for teachers in some areas including the deeply racist tome White Fragility (Douglas Murray interview the other day recounted this from teachers he knows and emails he'd received), there are enough tales of woke at schools.
The BBC and other bits of the media are full on woke.
So called Social Media sites are deeply woke and there's evidence the big search engines favour woke links and downplay the sensible alternatives. A significant percentage of 35 and younger folks spend their lives on these sites and regard them as gospel.
Critical and analytic thinking isn't really important to an awful lot of people these days, nor is reading if it's not on Faceache or over 20 words.
Comedy is all woke.
Entertainment on broadcast media is painfully woke.
Many politicians are deeply into woke, that won't change unless they think it will lose them votes and their place with all 4 trotters in the trough.
There's no shortage of woke and no sign of it doing anything other than increasing exponentially.
Hollywood also terribly woke. Couple of movies I've watched recently are cringingly embarrassing in their attempts to push the agenda.

ugly

LE
Have you seen the YouTube videos with Christina Hoff Summers? She has written and spoken about this extensively. For example, she concludes that one of the reasons boys perform worse than girls at reading is because the books offered are unappealing to them. I have mentioned this on the education standards thread.

All part of an anti male drive?
My reason for dropping English Lit at O Level (unheard of in 1979) was the course book to be read over the summer Hols was Pride and Prejudice.
Even my Mother exclaimed that its a girls book, what was wrong with Shakespeare or Chaucer ffs?
Anyway I still managed English Language O level much to my tutors disgust!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
You jest but you make a salient point.
I've posted this before but it warrants a repeat.

An old work colleague who had dealings with both sides from the 40's onwards once said to me:

"The Nazis were bad but you knew where you stood with them. The Russians <slow intake of breath and shake of the head> there was no telling what they'd do next. They'd turn up and take you away and that was it, nobody ever knew why."
Woke/Antifa is almost comical. 'Anti-fascist' is supposedly about anti-Right but Woke/Antifa are certainly not anti-authoritarian. Just because it/they are notionally Left doesn't change that one iota. They are currently out-doing the fascists in, well, behaving like fascists.

Certainly, the levels of fear that are being instilled are up there. People are frightened of being no-platformed. Supposedly centrist politicians and societies are being complicit by seeing people lose jobs and livelihoods over supposedly 'extremist' comments which are in fact quite innocuous (or which, at worst, are of a level that should be tolerated in a tolerant society).

Slight but relevant drift:

I spoke in the street a few days ago to some neighbours about the potential for another lockdown. The point, between to that point strangers, as we've never done much more than nod before, was made about how certain groups within our society aren't following the rules and it's having an effect on everybody. The guy out of the couple I was talking to made the point that everyone he knows knows this and feels the same way about it but it's not being reported in the media, and nor are those groups being taken to task.

The point? That the media are out of kilter with the population, every bit as much as the politicians. The other point? That in the situation we're drifting towards, he made a brave play in being honest with me, a stranger. We are reaching a point where people are talking about things in hushed tones in their own houses. We are reaching a point of totalitarianism - at least in the media.

I think, for instance, that Dawn Butler's attempts to 'prove' institutional white racism the other week when the car she was in was stopped were ridiculous. But if I as an individual make that point on social media, I'm a gammon, a Right-wing extremist. I'm neither; I'm calling out someone over their ridiculous behaviour over something that doesn't actually exist. The extreme Left are very organised and devious. They'll work on groups on Facebook to pretend that they're independent of each other when they target someone - just 'concerned citizens' acting against various prejudices when in fact they're colluding elsewhere.

The majority, as has been noted up-thread, just want to get by and get on with each other. The problem is that the media are being dominated, or are allowing themselves to be dominated by, some very loud and insistent extremists.

And, as extremists always have, they claim to have 'the voice of the people'. They don't but the media are, I think, increasingly partial. Meanwhile, either because they're naive or really don't realise the level of the problem (there's that out-of-touch bit again...), the government isn't doing enough about this.

Edited to correct 'nationally' to 'notionally'.

Last edited:

Its an odd one.
50% of the teachers in my primary school were blokes and I went to an all boys secondary school where all the staff were blokes. Most of them were all ex Forces in their 50s and 60s with the older lads serving in WW2. We did have Miss Farnon turn up in secondary school - she was a Latin mistress. Fit as. Christ knows what she was thinking about going to an all boys school in Sunderland......

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Worth noting that the princes were Muslim, generally ruling people that were not in the vast majority of cases. We didn't invent or impose the entire power structure on the continent, we merely replaced the leaders with ourselves.

Importantly the Indian caste system and religions in general seem to utterly reject the notion of equality. Something I have been pondering on recently... Which is at the heart of the various nefarious cultural movements such as feminism. Humans are not equal and it is not obvious to me that any successful religions or societies promoted the notion.

At our most successful as a nation we had the class system, which wasn't a million miles from the caste system. Whilst the concept of people knowing their place is sneered at today as being opposed to equality, knowing one's place also meant knowing one's role and responsibilities in society as a whole. The Victorians were a bit obsessed with bees for this reason, the idea that knowing your role and place made for a better hive for everyone. Seems to me it was a matter of pride rather than forelock tugging from the working classes, and one of grace rather than contempt from the ruling classes. Everyone still hated the slimy middle classes, so that was ok.

Our strong institutions are based upon these principles, though they are now entirely riven with an idiocracy of wokists / feminists / globalists whose political commissars in the form of Equality and Diversity managers are more equal ( and better paid!) than others, so it isn't obvious to me how this could change. I doubt we have ever had a bigger ideological gap between the governors and the governed.

Interestingly the term meritocracy was coined as a warning for what would happen, rather than describing a fair and just society as the arch feminist Blair used it. It was originally termed as a warning of a dystopian nightmare.

Which we now live in.... So good on the yoofs for recognising this.
Oi! I'm middle-class!

We shop at Waitrose and I have some clothes from Boden and everything.

My reason for dropping English Lit at O Level (unheard of in 1979) was the course book to be read over the summer Hols was Pride and Prejudice.
Even my Mother exclaimed that its a girls book, what was wrong with Shakespeare or Chaucer ffs?
Anyway I still managed English Language O level much to my tutors disgust!
The one line that has stuck with me from Chaucer was from the Nuns Priests Tale where Chauntecleer jumped down from the rafters and feathered Pertolotte (excuse the spelling and they were hens).. the dirty b@stard

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
We did have Miss Farnon turn up in secondary school - she was a Latin mistress. Fit as. Christ knows what she was thinking about going to an all boys school in Sunderland......
Probably had much the same thoughts as Miss Parker, the English teacher at our comp in Middlesbrough; the irony of young girls being told off for their skirts being too short by a teacher wearing a miniskirt.

I'll be back in a few minutes.

Latest Threads