Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Extreme anti-Woke among the young

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
On the Harry and Meghan thread, I posted an article which detailed how Herself is pitching a history of a founder of BLM as one of her ideas to Netflix:
Several ARRSErs commented along the lines of, "Are you surprised?"

The depressing reality is, of course, I wasn't but then I found this:
Unpaywalled copy follows in italics at the bottom of this post (thanks again, @velcrostripes).

For me, the most telling part is the final paragraph. How anyone can't see how Woke just bundles together various prejudices - the 'acceptable' ones, the anti-establishment and anti-British ones - under a single banner is beyond me.

SWMBO often talks about the Pendulum Effect of Politics, whereby if things swing to one extreme, they will inevitably swing back to the other. That's what we're apparently seeing now.

The 'intolerant tolerance' of Woke is - surprise, surprise - breeding intolerance.

Naturally, it won't be 'Woke''s fault; confirmation bias will only serve to prove that they were right and we were Right all along. The reality, of course, is that if you beat a dog often enough it'll eventually turn.

This could have been stopped. It is undermining pretty much every institution we have, and pandemic notwithstanding this government, on the face of it, on repeated occasions, appears to be doing nothing about it.

We need balance. Not more extremism but equilibrium.

Thoughts?

The British Hand has one deeply ineloquent goal: “To get rid of Islam and those little BLM f---ers.”

Using Instagram and Telegram, a multi-platform messaging service where “secret chats” are protected by end-to-end encryption and self-destruct timers, the neo-Nazi group has been able to spread their message and make threats, like a recent plan, shared with its more than 1,000 followers, to “attack… the Dover coast where every Muslim and refugee has been given safety”.

Their poster boys are Anders Breivik, who murdered 77 people in Norway in 2011, and Brenton Tarrant, who last year massacred 51 worshippers at mosques in New Zealand. One member has even named his pet hamster after Tarrant.

Because the leader of the British Hand, I should have said, is 15 years old.

Instagram may have shut down this Derby schoolboy’s account at the weekend, but the British Hand’s official account has been shut down before, only to pop up again in different guises.

There’s a growing appetite for online neo-Nazi hate, you see, and - according to a new report by anti-fascism campaigners, Hope Not Hate - many of those being groomed for the white supremacist cause are as young as 12. The report’s revelations are shocking, but not surprising. Why is that? Is it because over the past year, we’ve seen a growing number of similar cases in the news?

The 17-year-old boy jailed back in January after being found guilty of planning a neo-Nazi terrorist attack in Durham; 23-year-old Alice Cutter, from West Yorkshire, jailed in June after posing for a Miss Hitler competition run by the banned group, National Action; the 13-year-old who casually told another Telegram group that he wanted “gays to kill themselves”.

After all, we know that these neo-Nazi groups overlap with similar online organisations using the same secret language to promote hate against the LGBT community and women.

We know that hate breeds hate. Or is it because many parents have secretly glimpsed a watered-down version of that hate and intolerance in their own children?

Because of the generation of “baby Breitbarts” - named after the online alt-Right news network that helped propel co-founder Steve Bannon into Donald Trump’s White House - that is rising up against a censorship they feel has been imposed upon them at school, college and university, where PC dogma now often threatens to eclipse traditional subjects; at home, with their ferociously liberal parents; and in a mainstream media that seems to want them to admit their ‘unconscious bias’ and atone for the sin of being born white and privileged by self-flagellating ad infinitum?

Clamp your hand over someone’s mouth every time they speak, and what finally emerges is a howl of rage. I’ve been privy to some of those whispered conversations among parents, and heard mothers and fathers express their horror at the casual racisms and sexisms that are suddenly deemed acceptable both in verbal and online chats among the young.

“Pick them up on it, and you’re branded an ‘SJW’ (social justice warrior),” says one mother. “Because that, for them, is now an insult.”

Through her work discussing gender equality, sexual violence and consent in British schools, the feminist author Laura Bates says she has “started to experience fierce and angry resistance” over the past two years from boys. “Especially white ones,” she wrote earlier this month; they claimed they “were the real victims in society”, refusing to believe accusations of rape from women, “repeating false statistics”, and refusing to accept the facts. “They already knew,” she points out, “that ‘feminazis are out to destroy men’.”

These vicious baby Breitbart ideologies aren’t excusable, but they are explainable, and as a knee-jerk reaction to the illiberal liberalism the young as well as the old have felt increasingly imprisoned by, this is all depressingly predictable.

For years, I have derided “woke” culture in this column and with friends, because the idea that Baby, It’s Cold Outside promotes date rape, that non-Chinese people shouldn’t be allowed to cook Chinese food and that being obese is healthy was laughable to me. But over the past few months the laughter has stopped. The readers who write to me don’t see any humour in the word “women” being banned and replaced by “people who menstruate”.

None of my friends were amused by news reports earlier this month that a cheese shop in Paris was vandalised by militant vegan activists, who spray-painted the words “farmers = rapists” across its window. These extreme, intolerant stances aren’t funny, but dangerous.

They’re the reason Trump is not only in office but, at a rally in Nevada on Saturday, assured his supporters that he would “negotiate” a third term in the White House in 2024 – because he’s “entitled” to it. They’re the reason extreme Right-wing hate is springing up like poisonous weeds online, and young people are seeing value in that poison.

They’re also the reason Helen Pluckrose and James Lindsay’s brilliant new book, Cynical Theories: How Activist Scholarship Made Everything About Race, Gender and Identity… and Why This Harms Everybody, became an immediate bestseller when it was published in the US last month.

Because by arguing that bad ideas cannot “be defeated by being repressed”, but instead “need to be engaged and defeated within the marketplace of ideas, so that they may die a natural death and be rightly recognised as defunct”, the authors have summed up everything that’s wrong with extreme wokery. It’s just another brand of hate.

Oddly enough my youngest lad who is 26 is as anti woke as possible but luckily has no intention of going on to become some extremist of any ilk.

Of course - I thought I was pretty libertarian, a live and let live kinda guy, but I've recently found out that as a white western male, I'm a thumping racist, homophobe, sexist, etc... The only thing I have an issue with really is organised religion, one in particular, and that is completely borne of personal experience from an open minded starting point. But basically, you can do wtf you want as long as none of it affects me and my kin.

Going by the article you posted, I don't see Alt-right in the truest form of white supremacists etc.. springing up everywhere, I see anti-woke and a stand against the automatic reverse racism, sexism etc... they push. The latter I'm 100% up for, the former is dangerous, but nowhere near as much as the MSM push.

And, I'm opening myself up for stuff here - the left have not addressed the reasons behind the likes of Brevik & Tarrant. Unfettered immigration, threats to culture etc... Those two are symptoms of a disease that will get worse unless the causation is examined debated with facts and common sense, not hyperbole and feelings.

Oddly enough my youngest lad who is 26 is as anti woke as possible but luckily has no intention of going on to become some extremist of any ilk.
The two are readily conflated by Woke, though. If you’re not conforming, you’re an extremist - of the Right-wing variety.

Of course - I thought I was pretty libertarian, a live and let live kinda guy, but I've recently found out that as a white western male, I'm a thumping racist, homophobe, sexist, etc... The only thing I have an issue with really is organised religion, one in particular, and that is completely borne of personal experience from an open minded starting point. But basically, you can do wtf you want as long as none of it affects me and my kin.

Going by the article you posted, I don't see Alt-right in the truest form of white supremacists etc.. springing up everywhere, I see anti-woke and a stand against the automatic reverse racism, sexism etc... they push. The latter I'm 100% up for, the former is dangerous, but nowhere near as much as the MSM push.

And, I'm opening myself up for stuff here - the left have not addressed the reasons behind the likes of Brevik & Tarrant. Unfettered immigration, threats to culture etc... Those two are symptoms of a disease that will get worse unless the causation is examined debated with facts and common sense, not hyperbole and feelings.
Pretty much, I hope, the thrust of my words in the OP.

All my kids, 3 boys and a girl, 32 down to 20, either utterly despise woke or are amusedly indifferent to it. Only one has been to uni (28, ex-Army) and he said that dealing with fellow students and lecturers was like pushing shit uphill.
The wokesters are in a minority I reckon, they just throw louder tantrums.

The founders of the BLM movement describe themselves as 'trained Marxists'. The ideas behind intersectionality have their rooted in critical theory and other drivel that pretends to protect minorities and individuals but does nothing of the sort. Indeed it rejects the idea of the individual as opposed to simply being a member of a group engaged in a power struggle.

All my kids, 3 boys and a girl, 32 down to 20, either utterly despise woke or are amusedly indifferent to it. Only one has been to uni (28, ex-Army) and he said that dealing with fellow students and lecturers was like pushing shit uphill.
The wokesters are in a minority I reckon, they just throw louder tantrums.
Again, agree. But they who shout loudest...

A good mate’s son has one transgender kid in his school. The whole school is effectively being run around one kid’s ‘needs’.

It’s that mentality among those in our institutions which the problem. Accommodate that kid. Don’t make it paramount.

Pretty much, I hope, the thrust of my words in the OP.
Yup - I hate to say it but many of the things that are complained about basically show how well 'we' have it, and why folks are risking their lives to get here on pedalos. Personally I do wonder sometimes if we need a good old fashioned World War to give people a bit of perspective and to make them focus on the important things. I was hoping C-19 would help but nada, just even more entitlement coming to the fore, which has been saddening.

I suspect this is going to end in tears, not least for the "woke" idiots who started this nonsense.
Absolutely - being tolerant of the intolerant has never worked, it never will.

Places like Russia, China etc.. must be laughing their arses off, because if things keep going as they are, they'll just walk in - no need to fire up a single tank - the West is softening themselves up so there will be zero resistance in time, and those championing all this bollocks will be the first thrown off buildings when they get here.

Last edited:
The founders of the BLM movement describe themselves as 'trained Marxists'. The ideas behind intersectionality have their rooted in critical theory and other drivel that pretends to protect minorities and individuals but does nothing of the sort. Indeed it rejects the idea of the individual as opposed to simply being a member of a group engaged in a power struggle.
Bah. They’ve just weaponised skin colour to push Marxism through while no-one’s paying enough attention.

“You disagree with us? You must be a racist. Racism is wrong, therefore everything you think is wrong.”

It’s that simplistic when you boil it down.

Places like Russia, China etc.. much be laughing their arses off, because if things keep going as they are, they'll just walk in - no need to fire up a single tank - the West is softening themselves up so there will be zero resistance in time, and those championing all this bollocks will be the first thrown off buildings when they get here.
Useful fools.

People like Scargill would have been first against the wall if the Soviets had ever rocked up here.

Independent thought? Can’t be having that.

Status
Not open for further replies.