Extra's ?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by gado, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Yes

2. No

3. Sometimes

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are they a legal form of punishment, if your boss is p!ssed off with you, but can't nail any reason down enough to charge you?
  2. I think it's a fair one.

Extra's are sometimes abused by over zealous/pressured adj's.

It is an informal punishment given as a gentleman's agreement. Long may it continue.
  3. The original question asked if extras were legal. I seem to remember that a CO could award 3 extra guards or piquets on orders, but giving of extras as a punishment was against the rules.

Your right, used correctly extras have a place. You can put an individual on Orders and they may take a small financial hit, but you can guarantee that taking 3 saturdays off the soldier will have a far better effect.
  4. Suspect that extras are not legal - extra duties could be claimed to be a summary punishment and/or victimisation/harrassment. However, what is there to be gained from challenging "the system" over a minor informal punishment?

In the longer term I suspect that all non-administrative punishments will be taken away from the CO and verbal/written warnings and recommendations will be all that can be awarded short of CM.
  5. Do any of you lot read "Rights of a Soldier"?
  6. When I was a youngster, I had loads of extras :oops:

It was certainly a better punnishement than going before the OC and getting a 50 quid fine for minor "errors of judgement", 50 quid is nothing realy, however take someones saturday away from them and they tend to learn from their mistakes.
  7. Although extras have always been used as a means to an end they are (or were) a legal punishment if the offence in question was in connection with a duty eg sleeping on guard duty. Only legally awarded on orders - not in lieu of a charge
  8. My dear old SSM told me that the only rights I had were the ones he let me have!!

And those could be withdrawn at a moments notice :twisted:
  9. You are supposed to ask if they will accept extras. If the dimwit is happy to have the charge go on his records by refusing them, that's his lookout.
  10. Who cares? The fact is i would rather get them than a fine, Once done 30 days ROS day on day off. For a slight misdemeanour i may add :oops: :oops:
  11. Extras in the past were used as an extremely effective method of bullying. Therefore they can no longer be given out. As far as I'm aware a soldier can volunteer for extras if he or she feels they have f**ked up.

But in answer to your question no they are most definately not legal!
  12. Extras can serve a useful deterent and ease the weekend guard duty, an equally good thing I found that a formal charge and ROPs worked.

Mind I have been out for a while, can you still award ROPs.
  13. yep rops are still commonplace