Extracting short clips from DVD or movie files

As the title would suggest I am trying to take small clipets from DVDs and from MPG4 files I already have on my computer. Can someone suggest how this can be done and what program I will need. I want them to be stand alone clips that I can place in things like power point presentations.

Cheers fellow ARRSERs.

THE_ODP

In the Absence of msr who is GOD in these matters....

try this forum
http://www.computing.net/digitalphoto/wwwboard/forum/206.html

it tells you which free software is available to use etc

it basically converts your DVD to a avi file

you can then mess about with a avi file to convert again to a windows file
(I use Riva encoder - freeware)

you can use BlazeDVD Pro 5.0
which lets you capture a DVD format and play about with it

more modern DVD's are copy protected (they are getting wise!!)
so neither software might not work if it has a protection code on it
(more for music videos i think..)

Final thought
google in 'Capture DVD' see what you get..

in the absance of someone more wiser coming along to help -I'll have to do!!

Did your computer come with any video editing software such as Ulead videostudio or similar?

Either way do be careful of any copyright issues.

msr

Top link Cabarfeidh, I have added it to the wiki.

msr

Cheers ARRSE Geeks! You never fail to amaze with you fountain of cyber knowledge.

THE_ODP

As the title would suggest I am trying to take small clipets from DVDs and from MPG4 files I already have on my computer. Can someone suggest how this can be done and what program I will need. I want them to be stand alone clips that I can place in things like power point presentations.
Bump.
My bold.

As what is says on the top of the tin. Is the information contained current, or is there a better 'mousetrap'? As what the OP says, I want to get some 'grabs' from a DVD movie and have them set up for posting on say a forum.

Over to you my most learned colleagues, and don't come back without the DS solution.