Extract from the Independent

I knew tech's used to get promotion on completion of trade training but I think this is taking it a bit far :D

Lt Col Daniel Scott, 19, is a typical apprenticeship candidate. A communications engineer with the Royal Signals regiment, he is on a 30-month advanced apprenticeship in IT in Salisbury. "The Signals are the Army's IT experts so in my training I'm learning how to carry out checks on communications kit and technology and solve problems as they arise.

"I joined the Army after my GCSEs as I wanted to start working right away, but I decided an Army apprenticeship was a good way to get a qualification while getting paid. The qualifications and skills I've gained are recognised on civvy street so I'm pretty confident about getting a job when I do decide to leave."

30 month course!?!?! With Civvi quals?!?!?! 8O

exbleep said:
ex_sigs said:
Royal Signals Regiment !!
It was this bit that I really liked
The Signals are the Army's IT experts
Well, they could hardly put 'army Headquater's dogs body and caravan dwellers' now could they :twisted:

BinaryWarfare said:
30 month course!?!?! With Civvi quals?!?!?! 8O
I think it is like NVQ. They work towards it, whilst they work, over 30 months.

StickyToffeePudding said:
Well, they could hardly put 'army Headquater's dogs body and caravan dwellers' now could they :twisted:
The Royal Signals Regiment are the Army's leaders in tent erection, making brews for staff officers who regard you as something slightly lower than a ginger Taleban peadophile because Daddy doesn't own half of Gloucestershire and pointless dick jobs to make sure that morale remains tip top.

E-Layer said:
jimmys_best_mate said:
StickyToffeePudding said:
The Royal Signals Regiment are the Army's leaders in tent erection, making brews for staff officers who regard you as something slightly lower than a ginger Taleban peadophile because Daddy doesn't own half of Gloucestershire and pointless dick jobs to make sure that morale remains tip top.
You're selling us short there JBM.........what I don't know about guiding the large rubber pipes from blow heaters around panzers and tents just isn't worth knowing.....
Large rubber pipes from blow heaters....you was lucky :)

Rubber pipes!!...luxury. We had cast iron ones!!!

jimmys_best_mate said:
The Royal Signals Regiment are the Army's leaders in tent erection, .
I beg to differ on this point. The RAMC as a corp has a long and fine tradition of tent erection....However, I do admire the Signals for their ability to take bullshit to new heights whilst being unable to get comms over distances exceeding 50m

drain_sniffer said:
jimmys_best_mate said:
I beg to differ on this point. The RAMC as a corp has a long and fine tradition of tent erection....However, I do admire the Signals for their ability to take bullshit to new heights whilst being unable to get comms over distances exceeding 50m
Rubbish and I have two excellent examples last time I was on exercise in Germany.
1. Unable to obtain comms back to Regiment (some 8 km away) we sent a despatch rider to collect the crate of Herfes.
2. Able to obtain comms from the exercise area near Celle (way over towards the east) all the way back to a house in the East Midlands of UK. Simply dialled 0044............. on the mobile and told the missus to get the webbing out as I'd be back for the weekend.
Simples.
Meanwhile, the medics were still trying to drag their field ambulance out of the peat bog they'd parked in overnight.
Anyway, with every man and his dog (and local council) listening in to comms nowadays, why would you want to risk compromise?
Loose lips sink ships, you know.

exbleep said:
drain_sniffer said:
jimmys_best_mate said:
Rubbish and I have two excellent examples last time I was on exercise in Germany.
1. Unable to obtain comms back to Regiment (some 8 km away) we sent a despatch rider to collect the crate of Herfes.
2. Able to obtain comms from the exercise area near Celle (way over towards the east) all the way back to a house in the East Midlands of UK. Simply dialled 0044............. on the mobile and told the missus to get the webbing out as I'd be back for the weekend.
Simples.
Meanwhile, the medics were still trying to drag their field ambulance out of the peat bog they'd parked in overnight.
Anyway, with every man and his dog (and local council) listening in to comms nowadays, why would you want to risk compromise?
Loose lips sink ships, you know.
Shouldn't you have that with you? Oh, that sort of webbing :eek:D