Extra week at Christmas ,but no R&R?

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by FEASG, Dec 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Strange way to move the Covenant forward as CMD has stated as a priority.
  2. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

Again the stupidity and arrogance of our MP's leaves me speechless...................
    • Like Like x 1
  3. If you can't take a joke..............
  4. Calm down dears, apart from the pointless comparison to what Yanks get, there are some good points raised.

It appears the R&R time wouldn't be lost, it would be attached to POTL.
  5. "A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence said: "Rest and recuperation provides a vital boost to the morale and operational effectiveness of our personnel, and is carefully balanced against operational requirements."

I agree with what he said! :)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. And this comments follows in the wake of lots like it all over this website (and more than a few POR available on the AKX). Of course, because an MP is saying it it's automatically stupid.
  7. I’ve often wondered about these people to whom you refer. I bet they never get further forward than an air conditioned Ops room in bastion. Apart from, the odd afternoon of combat tourism.
  8. I can see the MP's point to be honest - is all of the strain that R&R puts on the log chain (getting personnel from all over Afghanistan via road or air to an airport, at least one and possibly two planes to get them to the UK/Germany then transport from the airport to their home camp plus doing it all in reverse) and the extra risk it causes (through leaving units shorthanded and through the additional transport of troops around theatre) worth a few days at home that could be tacked onto your POTL instead?
  9. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

Lets see if they could hack six months in a FOB in shit conditions, getting shot at and having an unreliable ally beside you (ANA or ANP) and see if they can do it without R & R.

Or here's a better idea, if you are not in a FOB or PB or in a ground combat role, you do not get R and R, if you are in a FOB or PB then you do get R and R.

I know they RAF used to do 4 months and 1 day, so they would get R & R, however if you were RN or Army attached to RAF you did 3 months 3 weeks and 6 days, so no R & R, so for a notional 2 extra days in theatre they got to go home and actually spent less time in theatre than the dark blue and green jobs.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. It costs tens of thousands per head to move someone back for R and R. Why not just offer a £5,000 bonus for those who decline R and R?

It will save money, save mid-tour undermanning and I for one would have snapped off someone's hand for an extra five grand.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. From the Afghanistan thread, more than a few 'Toms' who seemed to be in a ground-holding role.
  12. Spoken, I assume, as somebody with a vast personal experience of actually having worked in an Ops Room.
  13. Eh? never heard that one.

RAF just bolt R&R time on to the end of tour leave.
  14. Some, but sans air con.