• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Extra Sockets

@Joshua Slocum and any other 'electricians'...

I want to change an existing single socket - seemingly on a ring with two T&E (black & red) - to a double and then take a spur from it across the room to another new double socket. The two sockets will be at the same height above the skirting and on the same 'dab and dot' wall. I am thinking new T&E behind the dab and and dot in a perfectly straight line between centred between the two sockets ( two to three metres apart).

Is there any reason why I should not be doing this? Is it notifiable? Is it safe? Should I get an electrician to do it?

The last time I had an electrician in I spent a whole day sanding down the hardest filler known to man that he threw, blindfolded into his chases with a shovel.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer

I want to change an existing single socket - seemingly on a ring with two T&E (black & red) - to a double and then take a spur from it across the room to another new double socket. The two sockets will be at the same height above the skirting and on the same 'dab and dot' wall. I am thinking new T&E behind the dab and and dot in a perfectly straight line between centred between the two sockets ( two to three metres apart).

Is there any reason why I should not be doing this? Is it notifiable? Is it safe? Should I get an electrician to do it?

The last time I had an electrician in I spent a whole day sanding down the hardest filler known to man that he threw, blindfolded into his chases with a shovel.
Should not be a problem, as its in a safe zone if its just above the skirting , otherwise could you lift a floor board and go down from the socket or even joint the existing cable under the floor then back up to the new one ?

Should not be a problem, as its in a safe zone if its just above the skirting , otherwise could you lift a floor board and go down from the socket or even joint the existing cable under the floor then back up to the new one ?
I'd rather not lift the floor as it would mean taking the carpet up. Original thinking was to extend the ring but it's a lot of faff for a bedroom and the intended use.

The aim is to end up with a double socket with USB either side of a double bed - a 'Philips Hue' bedside lamp either side plus an Amazon Echo one side and a clock on the other.

Thanks Joshua. As long as there is no Darwinism or illegality involved I'll give it a go. I'll chop out for the new socket and if I can mouse a length of 2.5² mm T&E across the room I'll do it. If not... rethink.

If its the old black and red colour scheme are you sure its not a (far superior) radial circuit rather than a ring?

And surely you're not advocating touching the electrickery supply without invoking the great power of a part MLA qualified priest who will use his mighty knowledge to carry out a bloody simple task and charge a fortune? What next plugging in a multipoint fitting on a gas cooker without the magical touch of a gas safe registered engineer anointing the join with holy soapy water?

:)

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
If its the old black and red colour scheme are you sure its not a (far superior) radial circuit rather than a ring?

And surely you're not advocating touching the electrickery supply without invoking the great power of a part MLA qualified priest who will use his mighty knowledge to carry out a bloody simple task and charge a fortune? What next plugging in a multipoint fitting on a gas cooker without the magical touch of a gas safe registered engineer anointing the join with holy soapy water?

:)
its Ok hes not REME

Use one of these ;)

1537385306900.jpeg

I thought about that already and it is not totally ruled out yet. That said, to have a double each side I'd need three of them.

One to plug into the existing single and then two more to plug into that, one running left and one running right. I'd end up with seven physical sockets, one fixed and six loose instead of just just four (two very smart USB doubles) fixed.

Maybe it Is totally ruled out after all. I think @Joshua Slocum is the leading authority here and if he says I can do it without killing myself or incurring the wrath of building control /council / Emperor Mong then he is my go to chap for electrickery.

I'd invite him up to do it for me but he'd probably fall in live with me and I'd feel obligated.

I think ring... house built in '89 and there is a pair of 2.5² mm T&E dropping the short distance down to under the floor.

Mind you, the wiring to the light switches is like none I've seen in my previous houses so who knows...

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I thought about that already and it is not totally ruled out yet. That said, to have a double each side I'd need three of them.

One to plug into the existing single and then two more to plug into that, one running left and one running right. I'd end up with seven physical sockets, one fixed and six loose instead of just just four (two very smart USB doubles) fixed.

Maybe it Is totally ruled out after all. I think @Joshua Slocum is the leading authority here and if he says I can do it without killing myself or incurring the wrath of building control /council / Emperor Mong then he is my go to chap for electrickery.

I'd invite him up to do it for me but he'd probably fall in live with me and I'd feel obligated.

I think ring... house built in '89 and there is a pair of 2.5² mm T&E dropping the short distance down to under the floor.

Mind you, the wiring to the light switches is like none I've seen in my previous houses so who knows...
pm me if you need further help
and with your vital statistics I am feeling a bit lonely today !!!

Vital statistics? Short, fat and ugly probably is about it I'm afraid.

Thank you. I am going out to grab a few bits tomorrow for this room.

When I bought the house, every switch, socket and ceiling rose was different to every other switch, socket and ceiling rose. Oh, every door had a different handle pair to every other door too. I am working my way through them all using MK kit to get a bit of uniformity on the walls and ceiling lights and lamps are are now nearly all Philips Hue or LED fixtures in non living spaces. All handles are now modern and matching throughout.

I will ask you about bathroom fans connected to LED downlights next but that is a little way off yet. The bathrooms are next on the to blitz list.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Vital statistics? Short, fat and ugly probably is about it I'm afraid.

Thank you. I am going out to grab a few bits tomorrow for this room.

When I bought the house, every switch, socket and ceiling rose was different to every other switch, socket and ceiling rose. Oh, every door had a different handle pair to every other door too. I am working my way through them all using MK kit to get a bit of uniformity on the walls and ceiling lights and lamps are are now nearly all Philips Hue or LED fixtures in non living spaces. All handles are now modern and matching throughout.

I will ask you about bathroom fans connected to LED downlights next but that is a little way off yet. The bathrooms are next on the to blitz list.
No Problemo
Electricity is not that complicated
it goes up one wire and down the other
like many things in life it is knowing when you need to ask for advice or get proffesionals in
some people dont, thats why my trade body NAPIT takes action against idiots
they helped to get a rental property in my area closed and the tenant who was a Vulnerable member of the LBGT community rehoused , the shower was live, there was no electrical earth to the property, and yet it had been re plastered re decorated and updated while the underpinnings were not upgraded, the property was built in 1958 and had never been rewired, the lighting circuit had no earth because it was not required then, although it would have had plastic plate switches and ceiling roses originally, yet now had shiny chrome stuff everywhere

the property in a small private estate, just off the A40 and next to a river was worth just shy of a million quid 2/3 acre gardens, and no building on the other side of the river ever ( private school playing fields)
the people who owned it live in a 3 million pound regency townhouse and own a fleet of very expensive cars , which I presume they pay a motor engineer to maintain
they got a relative to carry out all the work !!!

It is done... nothing has exploded, melted or caused me to have 240v spasms with frizzy smoking hair.

IMG_0591.JPG

it was one of those jobs I wish I'd never started though. I am now off to buy a cement mixer to knock up a tonne or two of polyfilla as I had to hack into the wall in three places to clear a cable path between the two sockets.

It's probably one of those jobs that one doesn't learn from... no doubt the next room will get the same treatment. None of the rooms have enough sockets, never mind sockets in the right places. Two singles, one each on opposite walls in each of the bedrooms originally.

None of the rooms have enough sockets, never mind sockets in the right places. Two singles, one each on opposite walls in each of the bedrooms originally.
Unfortunately, most houses built pre 2000 ish don't have enough sockets. Me and Mrs MB are looking at moving into our last (hopefully) bungalow, and we are finding that properties with suitable sockets is a major issue, and unfortunately I don't have your DIY skills Mr Nomad, and would definitely end up on a Darwin website if I attempted anything like that, and we don't fancy giving our life savings to a sparky, so the hunt goes on for a modern bungalow, in our area and budget!

MB

It is done... nothing has exploded, melted or caused me to have 240v spasms with frizzy smoking hair.

View attachment 354369

it was one of those jobs I wish I'd never started though. I am now off to buy a cement mixer to knock up a tonne or two of polyfilla as I had to hack into the wall in three places to clear a cable path between the two sockets.

It's probably one of those jobs that one doesn't learn from... no doubt the next room will get the same treatment. None of the rooms have enough sockets, never mind sockets in the right places. Two singles, one each on opposite walls in each of the bedrooms originally.
At least you should now have a better understanding of whether you want the hassle of doing the next room(s) yourself, or paying someone else to do it for you.