Extra kit

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by ghost3h, Sep 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Passed my selection and will be doing a 2 week consolidation course so dont really have the option of comin back from a weekend then buyin something that i could have used.

I've been using this article to see what useful things to buy, but missed a few things out.

Extra Kit

It doesnt include thermal layers which i told are very useful, (im doing it in the north so cold) some people say helly hansen, some say others so whats the best?

and any other suggestions on more kit?

2. Where are you doing your Course?
  3. well its not in scotland north its in strensall
  4. As someone who also did a condensed course in May, I would personally suggest a turbo lighter, note pad, bungees, a knife, a spare spork, baby wipes and some tent pegs (sticks don't work too well).
  5. helly hensen are good, but you need to be carefull about taking extra kit away with you, when you are doing your recruit course you will normally only be allowed to use the kit that you have been issued (so every recruit is the same), you should of been issued thermals anyway ;-)

edited to add, you also have your fleece and norweigen so should be ok for warm kit
  6. Strensall isn't cold - it just feels cold because it's damp (early morning mists etc).

You haven't travelled much in Britain, have you? Although they have a different language up there, the temperature's much the same. I gets a bit different in Otterburn, though...
  7. I think the items idententified on Arssepedia are spot on, you'll learn in time what extra kit you'll need yourself.

Strensel's a decent set up. Do yourself a favour and make sure your boots are well worn in before attending the course, I'm sure you've been told this before but it is imperitive. It would be also worth learning how to treat blisters should you get them.

Hope this helps.
  8. On topic with this, a good pair of insoles.

I still haven't had any blisters or sore feet.
  9. any form of eating utensil is gay - the food is squidgy so just squeeze it out of the packet. simple. nothing to wash after.

oh and if you're into your hot brews, use the bit you pulled off the boil-bag to stir it. otherwise use a thermal flask beast and shake it up to stir. i dont recomend using the big mug unless you like 'share'...
  10. the problem is i get my kit issues on the tuesday, and am away for 2 weeks on the friday, so not a lot of time to break my boots in :(

so what are quick ways of doing it? i heard soakin in warm water is good and what about insoles?
  11. Don't worry about "quick ways" to wear your boots in. Just wear them all day. If your feet start getting sore, take them off as soon as you feel soreness and leave them off for a few hours. It'll be good if you do a few push ups with them on too - that way you'll bend the toe into a natural crease.

The more recent boots don't take a lot of wearing in - unlike some of the junk we've had in the past.

Don't mess about soaking them - you need to wear them for as long as possible, and wearing wet boots is a sure way to get blisters.

You'll be issued inner soles (or you should be). They're OK, but you may want to get some that are a bit spongier. Careful, though - if they're too thick, the top of your feet will be pressed hard against the uppers. It goes without saying that you should be wearing the innersoles while you're wearing your boots in - don't wear the issue inner soles then buy some spongy ones the day before you go away.

If you find that the boots rub against your heels, you could try gel heel inserts - available from most chemists. They'll fill the gap at the back of the boot. Could be worthwhile getting a few extras - they are self-adhesive but tend to unstick.

If you intend to wear liner socks as a preventative against blisters, make sure that you get some decent ones that don't have a toe seam - otherwise they'll give you blisters on the top of your toes.

You haven't said when you're going on your course - if it's a few weeks off, it could be worth getting a pair of (genuine and current issue) boots from a surplus store so that you have more time to wear them in.

I wouldn't worry too much though. Most people fret about breaking boots in, then find that they don't really need to.
  12. on the boots issue, decent zinc oxide tape isn't all that hard to pick up in a hurry.

wear a layer of 2 of that on all your 'hotspots' (to find hotspots, wear boots until you feel pain in certain areas of your feet, a few hours should do it. look at feet, find red spots, that's where blisters will form).

that stuff acts as second skin so it'll wear down instead of your skin. except its a lot stronger.

you'll probably get blisters anyway... but that's just part of the fun. When I did my recruits course I used boots that I'd been using for about 3 years, and I still got a blister the entire way down the bottom of my foot (ie the sole of my foot was just one giant puss balloon). sharp knife sorted it out the quick way, at the expense of making my basha buddy vomit as I literally poured it out onto the ground!
  13. Jesus! Take a bloody spoon and knife. Load of bollox squeezing food out of the bags. If you have time to sit down and grab a hot brew and scoff, you have time to pull out utensils to eat it. Lick the bloody spoon clean and stir your brew!!
    But agree with a thermos mug. Get them issued now anyway if your going away.
  14. dont forget talc, never had bad blisters
  15. ive been using the same fork for 3 and a half years, washing it by licking it clean and drying wiping it off with my smock. haven't got ill yet.

stir my brew with a twig. haven't got ill off that either.