Extra firepower sent to Afghanistan as UK digs in

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Feb 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.guardian.co.uk/afghanistan/story/0,,2253152,00.html

Extra firepower sent to Afghanistan as UK digs in

· Record deployment of paratroopers
    · Country may be sliding to civil war

Richard Norton-Taylor and Ian Traynor in Brussels
    Wednesday February 6, 2008
    The Guardian

A fresh British force with extra firepower is to be sent to Afghanistan as the US intensifies pressure on other European allies in an increasingly urgent attempt to prevent the country from collapsing into civil war. In what is being described as a "critical week" for Nato's role in Afghanistan, the British move, due to be announced today, shows that the government is prepared to maintain a significant military presence there despite severe pressure on its already overstretched army.
    More on the link
  2. We have troops to spare to send out there, or is this a 'conceptual' move by the Gubmint? In fact by minimising troops in the UK Broon is minimising the chances of a military coup :)
  3. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7229510.stm
    And they are being reinforced by=

Last Updated: Wednesday, 6 February 2008, 06:55 GMT

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Troops set for Afghan deployment

The soldiers will be involved in a spring offensive in Afghanistan
    The Ministry of Defence is due to confirm that more than 1,000 Scottish troops are to be sent to Afghanistan.
    They will be attached to 16th Air Assault Brigade when it takes responsibility for Helmand province next month.

Defence Secretary Des Browne's announcement is part of a rotation of British forces in Afghanistan.
    More on the link
  4. As I understood it:

2 and 3 Para were already going with the Argylls as part of 16 Bde.
    RHF (or Whatever Scots they are now) were also going to supplement 16 Bde.

The recent announcement was that the Highlanders are now going to go in order to go smashed around in Musa Qalah over the summer when the Taliban get a bit more balls and try to take it back (my int assesment by the way).

Some news reports also suggested that '1 Para' were being sent out as well, but I'm not sure who '1 Para' are? I mean, do they exist (other than in the minds of the BHQ of SFSG) :wink: .
  5. The Argylls and the Royal Highland Fusiliers will each be sending more than 500 men who will be joined by more than 100 soldiers from the Highlanders.

If the A&SH and the RHF send 500 men each I wonder how they'll manage to provide a rear party. The way the article is written you'd think we still had 1001 men battalions. (or does thisn include TA)
    When are this load of morons going to realise that you can't go on sending men when you've got noe left.
  6. Isn't this the sort of thing that Hitler did in his last moments?
  7. Moving notional battle groups around a notional map using notional transport equipment. It can't do anything but succeed.
  8. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Its the same as when we deployed our "hard hitting air mobile brigade" that had no air capability.
  9. Well he did mobilise the Hitler Youth. Now there's an idea - the ACF!
  10. What you mean a bunch of scruffy wankers who speak an un recognisable language?

People might assume they were Scottish anyway and not notice the difference :D
  11. Does this link into the thread about Aussie gunners being trained to man British guns over there?

Maybe Brown is forming an Imperial Army again. mind you they didnt fare so well over there last time either.

12. Here's hoping OGL keeps following the same career path.
  13. Stop building my hopes up
  14. Glad to see theyre sending some armour.