Extra Bank Holiday in November

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DodgerH, Jan 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Number 10 Downing Street has approved a petition that was launched requesting a new public holiday falling on the Monday after Remembrance Sunday in November each year. To be known as the National Remembrance Holiday, it's got three aims:
    1. To emphasise the remembrance of those servicemen and women who have given, and continue to give, their lives for Britain
    2. To remind people of the importance of protecting our Nation and what it stands for;
    3. To break that 3 month period between the August Public Holiday and Christmas when there are currently no long weekends, especially as the UK has fewer public holidays than most European Countries.
    If you agree to the idea, please sign up to the petition - it doesn't take long - and it would be great if you were to forward the link to other people as well. If you are not interested, just hit the delete key. This is not just about another bank holiday, but more importantly about having a designated day to remember all those people that sacrificed their lives for our freedom.
    THIS IS A NOTABLE PETITION THAT THE GOVERNMENT HAVE ASKED FOR PLEASE SIGN IF YOU WANT AN EXTRA BANK HOLIDAY .
    http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/remembermonday/
    PASS THIS ONTO EVERYONE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK

2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Done, and link passed to a great number of others!

3. done

4. Done but not with much expectation of success. Will get another letter of excuses from 10 Downing Street.

Hope I am wrong, but not holding breath (poll closes in April so that would be stupid anyway)

5. Done on the dotted line, so to speak. :D

6. I do not agree. Don't get me wrong, I would love an extra bank holliday and especially around that time but do not want to cheapen the act of remembrance.

ATM only people who care (on the whole) turn up for remembrance parades. This would just be another bender for the majority and I do not want the two melded. Eventually remembrance stuff will be overcome by a P. Up.

Feel free to slate me but I do not like this idea.

7. I'm with you on this one. The holiday would be chav'ed with Waynetta complaining that her right to blow the family benefit money on Lizzie Duke's finest, was interrupted by the 2 minute silence.

I'd only agree to a Bank Holiday if all the shops were shut, all TV and Radio programming was turned over to the National Service of Rememberance, and the pubs only opened to serving and ex serviceman and their familes (and gave them free beer).

Rememberance should be kept seperate from a Holiday. For some people, every day is Rememberance Day.

8. Done!
    Too many Bank Holidays in spring.. can't get the kids to school for 2 weeks without 'em cluttering the home up for another week! :twisted:

9. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

10. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

This might be one of those 'Lets float the idea & see the reaction' moments but we live in hope.

11. Sounds good to me. I have signed the petition & will encourage others to do so.

12. I'm with perturbed and fozzy on this one. Whilst I agree that more should be done for rememberance day I don't think making it a bank holiday will do anything more than turn it into a huge pissup and thus push the message even further into the back of peoples minds.

If the government want a day to restore national pride they already have St Georges day or the Queens birthday at their disposal to turn into a bank holiday without cheapening rememberance day. If you want a break between the August Bank Hol and Christmas use your work holidays; that's what they are there for.

13. I don't like the idea, why not just have the day as a proper bank holiday whenever it falls and make shops etc close, or use similar powers to the christmas shopping rules, small shops OK to open big ones closed. If we have Monday afterwards off, people will forget what its for and just have a long weekend.