Extinction Rebellion protesters - what to do?

Just saw that on the news. They were cleared reasonably quickly though by the sound of it. Perhaps Plod have listened to Joe public...
Might have taken longer if one of the protesters had been flattened by moving traffic and made the middle lane a crime scene.

While I don't wish ill on any human, it won't be long until something like that happens and there's an injury or fatality. Will we then see a media onslaught aimed at the poor car / lorry driver?

The government simply needs to amend existing legislation to mandate the police to clear any blocked public route in the shortest possible time.

The requirement should be to use minimum force, but the police should be allowed full latitude in how they interpret the term minimum force.

I think the current enthusiasm for blocking roads will very quickly evaporate. Activists will be content to stand next to roads with their placards and banners, exercising their inalienable right to peaceful protest...

The requirement should be to use minimum force, but the police should be allowed full latitude in how they interpret the term minimum force.
It was between 2 and 5 pounds to pull the trigger on an SLR wasn't it....?

Only joking!

Would todays antics be enough to allow them to be remanded, even if it was for their own safety?

Might have taken longer if one of the protesters had been flattened by moving traffic and made the middle lane a crime scene.

While I don't wish ill on any human, it won't be long until something like that happens and there's an injury or fatality. Will we then see a media onslaught aimed at the poor car / lorry driver?

It'll be coming soon if they carry on pulling these stunts in another 6 weeks or so when it's dark and foggy during rush hour.

Would todays antics be enough to allow them to be remanded, even if it was for their own safety?

According to Auntie:

No need to remand into an already overcrowded system: a release on Police Bail with some relevant restrictions will do the job.

Nicked again for the same offence whilst under Police bail? Luvverly: then is the time to be remanded as we now have a history of previous conduct.

:)

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
I feel sorry for the fellow proles stuck in the tailbacks but ultimately I think these protests a good thing. It shows people just how extreme and detached from reality some of these "environmental" protest groups are, and hopefully it'll lead to the closing of the legal loopholes that allow they to effectively get off scot-free. Similar to how the painful industrial unrest of the 70s ultimately did for the union movment.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
A f*cking gain they have done it. This time on the main carriage way at Woking. Looks like they nearly caused a multi vehicle smash this time.

Having read that little lot it seems that Zoe Cohen is an actress and a very rough one at that. I assume her address will be promulgated sooner or later.

This ongoing problem is what happens when the criminal justice system decides it has a soft spot for certain groups:-
1. Smoking cannabis warps a minority of minds.
2. Climate or Remain Demos (Good), anti-vax or brexit demos(racist).

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
A f*cking gain they have done it. This time on the main carriage way at Woking. Looks like they nearly caused a multi vehicle smash this time.

The Daily Mail said:
Surrey police say they have arrested 23 people in relation to the protest.
I first read that as "police say they have arrested twenty-three people in retaliation to the protest."
And before my brain could re-read it I pictured twenty-three motorists kicking the kak out of the crusties.

Having read that little lot it seems that Zoe Cohen is an actress and a very rough one at that. I assume her address will be promulgated sooner or later.

An eco-friendly Director:

How very Home Counties.

Site Admin

Old-Salt
It'll be coming soon if they carry on pulling these stunts in another 6 weeks or so when it's dark and foggy during rush hour.

LOL, you do realise climate protesting in this country is a seasonal affair?! I even have the photos to prove it!

End of this month there probably won't be (m)any climate protests until spring time.

Site Admin

Old-Salt

Another sh1thouse with a nice house and almost half a mill in the bank:

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I just had a look on the CPS website, and looked up the max sentence for criminal damage. I noted the site not only mentioned damage, but also referenced the damage risking injury to others. The max sentence is pretty stiff.

I can’t help thinking these Insulate types have not only caused criminal damage to carriageways, but have very much risked the death of motorists.
I'm probably out of date but the old Criminal Damage act, in sec 1 mandated a life sentence. Ok, it was for arson with intent, but the rest of the offences usually carried 7 years on first conviction ( the old def of an arrestable offence). However, that, and the Liverpool and Bootle Barbed Wire act may have been updated by something much woolier.

Hmmm while DNA can be found in urine, it’s directly related to the presence of epithelial cells, and not the urine itself. In fact, DNA can often be better detected in female urine because women may have higher epithelial cell counts that enter their urine from vaginal walls.
Increasing my knowledge of forensic awareness is seldom time wasted.

Latest Threads