Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extinction Rebellion protesters - what to do?

I believe that as the nuclear threat waned a lot of the CND supporters moved across to climate change groups and probably get a lot of their funding from the same old sources. Extinction Rebellion didn't even bother to hide their anti capitalist and western world agenda.

Plus ca change. Useful fools and all that.
CND seemed to enter low profile when India, Pakistan and N Korea got 'the bomb', do not seem to remember any demos or riots outside the two High Commission's or what passes for the North Korean Embassy in London. Some CND activity reported at Faslane but I think this is more SNP.

A friend of mine did the OU and said that the two week residential phase was mostly shagging with a bit of learning thrown in.
Me too, but OU summer schools have been defunct for nigh on 15 - 20 years.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Me too, but OU summer schools have been defunct for nigh on 15 - 20 years.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

When I was at the OU in 2010, Martin Bean was VC (ex Microsoft executive) and he sought to get rid of them completely as part of restructuring. (He also wasn’t a great fan of research because it didn’t bring in as much as teaching (despite research being where credibility to lecture comes from)).

I think when I attended a summer school as an OU student around 2004, they already gave the option of taking them online. Having just checked, it seems like only a small handful of modules are offering residential schools now.

Edit: thinking back when I did my summer school, it was classed as a duty so I got travel expenses and leave. I suspect that’s gone now too.

Last edited:
I did OU including a couple of summer camps as an OUSA rep (Students Association who run the entertainment side raising money to help poor students pay for courses). Perfect excuse for mummies to be legitimately away from hubby and have some letting down hair times. A very excellent hunting ground, sometimes you're the hunted :)

In the summer of 1993 I was studying at Royal Holloway College in Egham (University of London) when the OU rocked up for their summer school.

As a postgraduate I was there for the entire year and the whole of the summer was supposed to be spent doing research in our labs but on the first week's OU course I said to a couple of oppos "Let's go down the SU and grab a couple of "Mrs Robinsons". Fun was had when we tried to walk in to the SU building as a couple of OU door goons tried to stop us from accessing the bar but once our ID cards were brought out and threats of calling the SU president were made we were very begrudgingly let in. Talk about a target rich environment!! We were the only three blokes under 30 and the bar / dance floor was rammed solid with wifeys, milfs and singletons all drinking and nattering away about their particular week long study subjects.

By the end of the night I'd hooked up with a banker from London in her mid 30's studying Victorian Fine Art and with the promise of a bottle of Johnny Walker Red I was able to lure her back to my study room, or at least that's what I tell myself what happened. In actuality I'd hardly broached the subject when we were out of the door, across to the postgraduate accommodation and we didn't surface for three days (so much for studying Victorian fine Art). Every night for the rest of the two weeks she stayed over and at the end of the course phone numbers were duly exchanged. For the rest of the summer she'd turn up on the Friday evening with champagne and strawberries and then disappear off back to London on the Monday morning tired and smiling.

Happy memories indeed.

It’s not what the majority of the market wants though, many are opposed to lock down generally. Most students I have spoken with were/are certainly not happy with online lectures even if it was the exact same material. Sense of learner community (which many students want) is hard to provide with an online format.
And yet when they're all locked up together as a community they get all weepy and tear the fences down... go figure.

When I was at the OU in 2010, Martin Bean was VC (ex Microsoft executive) and he sought to get rid of them completely as part of restructuring. (He also wasn’t a great fan of research because it didn’t bring in as much as teaching (despite research being where credibility to lecture comes from)).

I think when I attended a summer school as an OU student around 2004, they already gave the option of taking them online. Having just checked, it seems like only a small handful of modules are offering residential schools now.

Edit: thinking back when I did my summer school, it was classed as a duty so I got travel expenses and leave. I suspect that’s gone now too.
I did a psychology residential week in Southampton, summer of 2012.

It was shagging central as 95% of the course were yummy (and not so yummy) mummies. It's quite amazing how many women turn out to be bisexual when away from their husband.

My wife was explaining to me the sympathy she’s got with students though.

Paid a load of money to generally be isolated from study, family and friends.

The media has spun a load of pish about students, but they have had a bit of a difficult time.

If you look at it though, you’ve got an enclosed group of people, in close proximity to each other that ate more likely than most to travel out of their immediate vicinity.

Herd them, jab them and move onto the next target .
Daughter finished Uni end of 2019. We both agree how absolutely shit it would have been if she had been at Uni this year.

Yes, there are some stupid students who will ignore the rules, but it's a shit place to be this year. They've been let down by both the government and the educational establishment, who should have moved to remote learning wherever possible for at least the first 6 months - reviewing every 3 months and extending as necessary so that there was some stability for students and their families to plan around.

Daughter finished Uni end of 2019. We both agree how absolutely shit it would have been if she had been at Uni this year.

Yes, there are some stupid students who will ignore the rules, but it's a shit place to be this year. They've been let down by both the government and the educational establishment, who should have moved to remote learning wherever possible for at least the first 6 months - reviewing every 3 months and extending as necessary so that there was some stability for students and their families to plan around.
Yet it was the many students demanding to go to a university that pushed the government into allowing it, not just the universities themselves. They're adults you know, and nobody can take their right to a good educationtime from them.

From friends who are in the university education system it's not some stupid students that are to blame, it is a majority.

It was shagging central as 95% of the course were yummy (and not so yummy) mummies. It's quite amazing how many women turn out to be bisexual when away from their husband.
And probably some of the male students....

lol

cheers

Daz

LE

The problem being, for some courses, remote learning is not that practicable - DD1 is currently doing an Applied Theology degree, a significant part of that is supposed to be spent on placement in Churchs and Religious institutions, its not really something that can be done remotely

The problem being, for some courses, remote learning is not that practicable - DD1 is currently doing an Applied Theology degree, a significant part of that is supposed to be spent on placement in Churchs and Religious institutions, its not really something that can be done remotely
True (and daughters Masters is not possible to be done completely remotely). However, having fewer people on site would make the risk to those who actually have to be significantly lower.

Daz

LE
True (and daughters Masters is not possible to be done completely remotely). However, having fewer people on site would make the risk to those who actually have to be significantly lower.
I think the main problem tends to be located in the halls of residence, rather than on the courses where students have to attend, thankfully, DD1 is house sharing off campus

I think the main problem tends to be located in the halls of residence, rather than on the courses where students have to attend, thankfully, DD1 is house sharing off campus
Probably, but if the courses were offered remotely to begin with, many of those students wouldn't be in halls or house shares, they'd be in the family home.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

lez.JPG