Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extinction Rebellion protesters - what to do?

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
Yep, universities make a lot of their money on accommodation. I think something like 30 British universities were at risk of going under - right across the spectrum from the ancients to the post-92s - if the students did not attend this year. Loss of rent compounded with loss of income from summer conferences, holiday makers using halls accommodation etc.

Though ironically student numbers were up in many places! Not just from domestic students who didn’t want to sit around all year playing on the Xbox, but also from international students - which I think I recall the government extended the length of the U.K. visa which probably helped there. Many places actually took on new staff because of the increased student numbers.
I saw the uni's were screaming for a government bailout so the cynic in me wondered if the government had reached a deal with the unis to allow them to stay open so they get the rental income in return for shutting up..

I saw the uni's were screaming for a government bailout so the cynic in me wondered if the government had reached a deal with the unis to allow them to stay open so they get the rental income in return for shutting up..

I suspect so. Also our VC said despite the government talking about reigning in the university sector, it seemed like that line of medicine was very much "for other people’s children" given the A level fiasco seemed to be quite a priority for them. And then of course not starting lockdown until a few weeks after the students returned.

I have no clue as to why Universities even went back. They should have gone online, where most of them could have continued with little to no problem, and a decent laptop would have been cheaper than a term's accommodation.
If the OU can do it . . .

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

If the OU can do it . . .

It’s not what the majority of the market wants though, many are opposed to lock down generally. Most students I have spoken with were/are certainly not happy with online lectures even if it was the exact same material. Sense of learner community (which many students want) is hard to provide with an online format.

Chef

LE
It’s not what the majority of the market wants though, many are opposed to lock down generally. Most students I have spoken with were/are certainly not happy with online lectures even if it was the exact same material. Sense of learner community (which many students want) is hard to provide with an online format.
The learning community? Nothing to do with getting away from the parents and pissing it up of an evening then?

Mainly because the unis needed the money from renting out on-campus accommodation - 10,000 students at £120 a week is a lot of wedge. Can't pay the vice chancellors £400k salaries without it!
Can't the Unis rip off the Govt with accommodation for 'Asylum Seekers Welcome Here' ? When it come to having them next door the tune changes

Chef

LE
Plus the shagging and weed?
A friend of mine did the OU and said that the two week residential phase was mostly shagging with a bit of learning thrown in.

A friend of mine did the OU and said that the two week residential phase was mostly shagging with a bit of learning thrown in.
Sounds like my Electrical Engineering tutor at college who was a very direct Glaswegian who described a Sociology degree in the same way but you wrote about it afterwards.

I did OU including a couple of summer camps as an OUSA rep (Students Association who run the entertainment side raising money to help poor students pay for courses). Perfect excuse for mummies to be legitimately away from hubby and have some letting down hair times. A very excellent hunting ground, sometimes you're the hunted :)

stop posting pictures of Anna Soubry

she's going through a rough patch

Still, and all, probably won't faze @don't tell him pike . He'll be on that like a tramp on chips, etc. ;-)

Beetlejuice.jpg

Daz

LE

Chef

LE
I did OU including a couple of summer camps as an OUSA rep (Students Association who run the entertainment side raising money to help poor students pay for courses). Perfect excuse for mummies to be legitimately away from hubby and have some letting down hair times. A very excellent hunting ground, sometimes you're the hunted :)
We know a song about that. Take it away Bonnie.

I know - but these are not normal times. Both learning providers and their students will have to adapt to different (albeit temporary) ways of learning and its delivery. Whether people are / are not happy is irrelevant.