Extinction Rebellion protesters - what to do?

You’re right those 1,000 plus people who were arrested was a direct result of police doing nothing. Again, with your extensive policing, human rights and legal experience tell us how you would have dealt with them with the extremely limited resources available and in a way that wouldn’t get you and your officers sacked and dragged through the courts.
Police have always chosen when and how to enforce the law it was called discretion until that became a dirty word. I choose not to arrest every beggar I see because it’s a massive waste of time and money. I’d like to think that all but the most simple minded would prefer I do this so I’m free to answer emergency calls.
Let me be clear, I would prefer you NOT on emergency calls at all, but actively stopping crime before it happens, as your original remit was once written... Traffic and a myriad of other roles should be hived off into some other entity and your policing in comparison to a football match is clearly softer and cuddly.

On the 1000 Green Shirted Heroes arrested, how many were allowed back on the streets almost immediately ?? how many were detained for a week or more to cool there heels.

Because there’s not the officers or the custody space for them. Over a thousand were arrested in the previous spate in London and it cost the Met millions it doesn’t have in OT and tied up huge numbers of officers who have far better things to be doing. It’s also extremely hard to justify using force on peaceful protestors regardless of how irritating and disruptive they’re being, and they’d be outrage if you had front pages of public order officers smashing about old dears and kids for trying to save the planet.
They’d actually be scoring a massive own goal if they ramped up their actions and would give us much more options to deal with them more robustly. Which is why they’re leadership has made sure they all behave themselves and have done a good job of it.
But that means they get to severely disrupt the lives of countless thousands of innocent people just trying to go about their lives.

If you wish to allow them to protest peacefully then make sure it is done in Hyde Park or some other space off the public highway.

They know exactly what they are doing and the police are protecting them by allowing innocent people to be inconvenienced, simply to make lives easier for the police. The police know that the inconvenienced public will do nothing, so better to let the protestors do their thing. A quiet life, win all round. Except for poor Joe Public who has had to be troubled and inconvenienced, and they had better do so quietly.

The police need to take a look at themselves. You are losing public support rapidly over this. Can you continue that?

At some point there will be violence by motorists taking the law into their own hands, and then the spotlight will be turned on the decisions made by the police, highlighting that they failed to understand the public mood. Unfortunately some of those protestors will be injured in probably life-changing ways by that point. So the police will even have failed in what their aim is right now - to protect them. It will be pointless for their daddies to sue the brickies in the white van who will have been banged up, but the senior police team will be ripe for legal action. Hillsborough all over again.

But that means they get to severely disrupt the lives of countless thousands of innocent people just trying to go about their lives.

If you wish to allow them to protest peacefully then make sure it is done in Hyde Park or some other space off the public highway.

They know exactly what they are doing and the police are protecting them by allowing innocent people to be inconvenienced, simply to make lives easier for the police. The police know that the inconvenienced public will do nothing, so better to let the protestors do their thing. A quiet life, win all round. Except for poor Joe Public who has had to be troubled and inconvenienced, and they had better do so quietly.

The police need to take a look at themselves. You are losing public support rapidly over this. Can you continue that?

At some point there will be violence by motorists taking the law into their own hands, and then the spotlight will be turned on the decisions made by the police, highlighting that they failed to understand the public mood. Unfortunately some of those protestors will be injured in probably life-changing ways by that point. So the police will even have failed in what their aim is right now - to protect them. It will be pointless for their daddies to sue the brickies in the white van who will have been banged up, but the senior police team will be ripe for legal action. Hillsborough all over again.
The police are stuck between a rock and a hard place. being pressurised on both sides. As DrunkenIrish has said they face practical constraints ( funds and cell space ). On the other side a media / social media storm , no doubt cheered on by some politicians, if they were to act as you suggest above.

Who'd be a bobby these days ?

Oh, apparently they are lining up to join.

Whether any stay is another matter.....

I do like ARRSE. It reminds me of Monday morning Senior Management Team meetings.

Damned.jpg

offog

LE
Let me be clear, I would prefer you NOT on emergency calls at all, but actively stopping crime before it happens,
You are aware that Minority Report was a fictional film right, just need to clear that up.

I take it you have never heard of the Nine Principles of Policing ?
That's not a problem, neither have many senior police (or they act like it).

Plus with the cuts now effectively meaning anything other than a blue light response is out, I fail to see your point?

I am afraid the days of cops walking beats and establishing ground knowledge or (what were called) Safer Neighbourhood Teams are numbered if not gone.

But hey, blame the front line filth. Simpler than criticising systemic issues and political direction (a term I use to tar both politicians, civil service and senior police).

Meanwhile, protesters are unencumbered by bureaucratic nonsense. Does anyone wonder that a more agile adversary dances rings around them? Took the peelers a couple of MayDays to get it right, they'll prepare for the last confrontation with Extinction Rebellion; whilst Extinction Rebellion evolves to the next.

It's a bit like a health care or computer issue; viruses that remain the same are eventually defeated. Ones which mutate and change are not caught by vaccines or anti-virus.

Be water, my friend.

That's not a problem, neither have many senior police (or they act like it).

Plus with the cuts now effectively meaning anything other than a blue light response is out, I fail to see your point?

I am afraid the days of cops walking beats and establishing ground knowledge or (what were called) Safer Neighbourhood Teams are numbered if not gone.

But hey, blame the front line filth. Simpler than criticising systemic issues and political direction (a term I use to tar both politicians, civil service and senior police).

Meanwhile, protesters are unencumbered by bureaucratic nonsense. Does anyone wonder that a more agile adversary dances rings around them? Took the peelers a couple of MayDays to get it right, they'll prepare for the last confrontation with Extinction Rebellion; whilst Extinction Rebellion evolves to the next.

It's a bit like a health care or computer issue; viruses that remain the same are eventually defeated. Ones which mutate and change are not caught by vaccines or anti-virus.

Be water, my friend.
A lot of truth in that, but I was responding to one of the boys in blue who didn't want to see the underlying problems with his organisation and refused to go where you went and demonstrate at least a recognition of something wrong.

On going back to the old principles its a matter of funding and priorities, along with the sacking off the entire police hierarchy like a Stalinist purge.

The police are stuck between a rock and a hard place. being pressurised on both sides. As DrunkenIrish has said they face practical constraints ( funds and cell space ). On the other side a media / social media storm , no doubt cheered on by some politicians, if they were to act as you suggest above.

The only suggestion I made was to force them to peacefully protest away from the road network in say Hyde Park.

If they are truly peaceful they will not object.

My point was that the police are losing public support over this and should something violent happen between the protestors and their victims, the second guessing of the police's actions will start.

On going back to the old principles its a matter of funding and priorities, along with the sacking off the entire police hierarchy like a Stalinist purge.
Whilst nothing (apart from watching the door of No 10 hit Mrs May on the way out) would make me laugh more, I doubt that such a method of management is very efficient.

Neither were the Stalinist purges, which consumed their own kindling.

Just have a chuckle at Genrikh Yagoda. Executed in 1937 after his two years as chair of the NKVD (presumably killing a lot of people himself).

Interestingly, all the other people convicted and executed at the same mass trial were posthumously rehabilitated in the 1950s..... He must have been a right bastard.

the second guessing of the police's actions will start.
Dude, that starts even before you get a warrant card.;)

As soon as new entrant officers, and anyone else grasps that - a lot of decision making becomes understandable.

The only suggestion I made was to force them to peacefully protest away from the road network in say Hyde Park.

My point was that the police are losing public support over this and should something violent happen between the protestors and their victims, the second guessing of the police's actions will start.
Nah round them up, a bit of extraordinary rendition, and then they end up on an oil tanker passing through the straits of Hormuz (not under a UK flag of course), said tanker display a banner the length of the tanker with something really inflammatory to the Iranians

Iranians take them as hostages, and we refuse to take them back unless they allow UN inspectors free range to look for nuclear facilities

Last edited:
Nah round them up, a bit of extraordinary rendition, and then they end up on an oil tanker passing through the straits of Hormuz (not under a UK flag of course), said tanker display a banner the length of the tanker with some really inflammatory to the Iranians

Iranians take them as hostages, and we refuse to take them back unless they allow UN inspectors free range to look for nuclear facilities
With the added advantage that ARRSE mods can do a thread merge.

Whilst nothing (apart from watching the door of No 10 hit Mrs May on the way out) would make me laugh more, I doubt that such a method of management is very efficient.

Neither were the Stalinist purges, which consumed their own kindling.

Just have a chuckle at Genrikh Yagoda. Executed in 1937 after his two years as chair of the NKVD (presumably killing a lot of people himself).

Interestingly, all the other people convicted and executed at the same mass trial were posthumously rehabilitated in the 1950s..... He must have been a right bastard.
His successors weren't much better, as beria was decidedly dodgy, to the extent he wasn't allowed around stalins own daughter.

On the actual thread; its not really the polices fault, everyone can see extinction are fast becoming a major irritant, but that is not reflected in the media coverage and you can't move until they push the politicians enough to give a green light...… That fact, is the charge that is pinned on the police that they are so politicised that as others have said, general trust is starting to go and I find that sad.

As much as we would all like to see protesters making use of large public green spaces that don't hinder everyday life, the protesters would not agree to it. The objective of any mass protest is to make an impact. They would be an irrelevance if they were to protest in Hyde Park and their message would stay there.
Unfortunately these climate goons see nothing wrong with pushing an agenda that is so out of touch with the modern world that it is comical. To ensure their hypocrisy is on full display, getting maximum coverage, they decide to disrupt cities to ensure maximum coverage.
The Police are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Protesters could make an alternative space somewhere to prove Proof of Concept.

But that is not as much fun as being "Dave Spart - Ecowarrior" getting nicked and making a name for yourself, but utimately achieving naff all.

As much as we would all like to see protesters making use of large public green spaces that don't hinder everyday life, the protesters would not agree to it. The objective of any mass protest is to make an impact. They would be an irrelevance if they were to protest in Hyde Park and their message would stay there.
Unfortunately these climate goons see nothing wrong with pushing an agenda that is so out of touch with the modern world that it is comical. To ensure their hypocrisy is on full display, getting maximum coverage, they decide to disrupt cities to ensure maximum coverage.
The Police are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
I have a lot of respect for extinction; they seem to have fused the usual Anarchist Mob and a group of well-to-do wealthy types who have tapped into children's fears and they provide serious cover and protection and are the occupy movement on calpol and thus invulnerable.

What should have happened is the media turn on those encouraging children to misbehave, but clearly the media have sympathies and as usual our fair and balanced press behaves to type..

Latest Threads