Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extinction Rebellion protesters - what to do?

Sounds like everyone's favourite clump of wasters have decided they've been out of the news too long, and have announced four days of fun and games.
Local to me is speculation is that Cambridge will be getting hit the hardest, as other towns will require them to put some effort in and travel.

Points will include: Incitement to Rebel - which will involve banner drops from bridges on major roads into London (one wonders how well this will go, and if there will be a massive pile up or not)

As usual each day will have a theme:
  • Fossil Fuel Friday - a day to focus on regional fossil fuel actions
  • Airports and Aviation - a day to focus on regional airport and aviation actions
  • Trust the People, Gather Your Community - a day of community building, outreach, talks and trainings
  • Money Monday Permanent Bank Holiday - a day to focus on finance

Personally I'd use the Sunday to take notes... of whom is giving the lectures. Monday could be looking into whose paying for all this as well.

Protesting against industry and chemicals by using chemicals produced by industry...
Also they wear clothes and shoes made in factories. How is this supposed to demonstrate a "better" way?
It obviously has bugger all to do with the environment.
I have this argument with a number of these type people, they are happy to wear clothing and dyes that are chemically derived but not wear leather etc. that is from a renewable source and sustainable.

I will be naked under my red robe on the next demo.

1598264472033.png

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Sounds like everyone's favourite clump of wasters have decided they've been out of the news too long, and have announced four days of fun and games.
Local to me is speculation is that Cambridge will be getting hit the hardest, as other towns will require them to put some effort in and travel.

Points will include: Incitement to Rebel - which will involve banner drops from bridges on major roads into London (one wonders how well this will go, and if there will be a massive pile up or not)

As usual each day will have a theme:
  • Fossil Fuel Friday - a day to focus on regional fossil fuel actions
  • Airports and Aviation - a day to focus on regional airport and aviation actions
  • Trust the People, Gather Your Community - a day of community building, outreach, talks and trainings
  • Money Monday Permanent Bank Holiday - a day to focus on finance

Personally I'd use the Sunday to take notes... of whom is giving the lectures. Monday could be looking into whose paying for all this as well.
Big rally on Parliament Sq planned for Sat.

NSP

LE
So... COVID all round, then! Every cloud...

Yokel

LE
There was a local news story about protesters trying to cause disruption and telling holiday makers they are not welcome, here in the South West.

Apart from the local economy needing visitors, surely encouraging people to holiday in the UK cuts the carbon dioxide emissions caused by flying?

Am I missing something?

There was a local news story about protesters trying to cause disruption and telling holiday makers they are not welcome, here in the South West.

Apart from the local economy needing visitors, surely encouraging people to holiday in the UK cuts the carbon dioxide emissions caused by flying?

Am I missing something?
The fact that they will never be happy, no matter what is achieved or how much attention they get?

Am I missing something?
To be fair, the locals were doing it first. Dawlish in July apparently.
1_grim-reaper.jpg

Yokel

LE
To be fair, the locals were doing it first. Dawlish in July apparently.
View attachment 500814

As I remember that was due to COVID-19 and worries that people would come and forget about social distancing and other things. People have been sensible on the whole.

Extinction Rebellion seem to want to use anarchist tactics at the expense of educating people about steps they can take to save energy and money. Pissing people off has rarely been a good way of getting them on side.

Last edited:

aardvark64

War Hero
As I remember that was due to COVID-19 and worries that people would come and forget about social distancing and other things. People have been sensible on the whole.

Extinction Rebellion seem to want to use anarchist tactics at the expense of educating people about steps they can take to save energy and money. Pissing people off has rarely been a good way of getting them on side.
Sensible? Good grief, whatever next?

PIssing people off just feels so good and virtuous - you got their attention, right?

It feels great to be part of a small, vocal minority who can be virtuous and ideologically pure, without the slightest hint of irony. You're persecuted because you are feared...

The XR idiots feel a lot like the Animlal Lib terrorists from a decade or two back. It's the same mind-set and adolescent pushing of the boundaries, daring the authorities to react.

It's all so exciting, darling.

The XR idiots feel a lot like the Animlal Lib terrorists from a decade or two back. It's the same mind-set and adolescent pushing of the boundaries, daring the authorities to react.

It's all so exciting, darling.
You'll probably find that many XR were those animal rights activists in their younger days, and before that they were ban Trident/Polaris/Cruise missiles at Greenham Common protestors, with maybe a hint of "mummy and daddy met on the ban the bomb march to Aldermaston..."

They have grown up in the shadow of parents who protested and felt righteous because of it, so they see it as their duty to carry on the crusade...

You'll probably find that many XR were those animal rights activists in their younger days, and before that they were ban Trident/Polaris/Cruise missiles at Greenham Common protestors, with maybe a hint of "mummy and daddy met on the ban the bomb march to Aldermaston..."

They have grown up in the shadow of parents who protested and felt righteous because of it, so they see it as their duty to carry on the crusade...

I bet you could laid with some of the fit birds by saying that Aldermaston was nothing, you weren't there on the Alderaan ban the death star march

Latest Threads