Extinction Rebellion protesters - what to do?

A good letter in the latest Spectator.

All very well for the old dogs who know the ropes, but not so helpful for the young ones who are learning their way – there are only so many emails/phone calls you can make to colleagues to say: what do I do now/how should I approach this; very different from an office environment where you can just sidle up to somebody’s desk, or ask while making coffee.
This is a very good point. A lot will depend on the business and its culture. I'm a little older than my boss. My team, I am at least 10yrs older than my oldest manager, the youngest is a couple of years out of Uni. I operate full mission command and have what I would call a "high trust organisation". All our team meetings start with how is everyone doing, feeling, coping before we get on to work stuff. One of my guys took a little while to adjust and others have various domestic challenges. (I should add the team is spread over the UK).
I quickly became the MS Teams Ninja/Guru.

MS Teams is quite good for "sidling up". Its easier because they don't have to come and find you and its easy to see if you are busy or not.
Quite a few times I'll get a chat message, "have you got 2 mins? Can I have a quick chat? etc" I'll ping "go ahead" or "give me xx mins" and then we have a catch up. Somebody was having childcare issues, someone just wanted a chat because they felt a bit isolated. We have some new starters including one who joined 2nd week of lockdown, poor chap hasn't even met me physically yet. But said last week it felt like he has been here months because of the way everyone is so welcoming. I encourage stupid questions, asking if you don't know, etc. Its handy with Teams because in a meeting if you feel embarrassed asking something in open forum you can ping a message.
Especially if you have been browsing ARRSE and not paying attention ;)

The technology is just a vehicle; its good leadership that makes the difference.

E2A: leading properly is actually harder in this environment. I'm "get out on the vehicle park" type. I prefer to face2face, to phoning and I prefer phoning to email. So you just have to work a little harder and adapt your leadership style accordingly.

Last edited:
What I have found very interesting is that with most cars, trucks, planes etc parked up, global CO2 emissions only dropped by 5-6%.

Which might lead one to believe that driving my turbo charged Merc and going on holiday to Spain is perhaps not where the main problem with CO2 is coming from.

So perhaps, just perhaps St Greta and pals could look to where the problem really is and focus their efforts there!

Oddly they've all been rather quiet about all of this over the past few weeks....... how odd.

E2A: Last Sunday, 54% of UK power came from Solar and Wind.

Last edited:
This is a very good point. A lot will depend on the business and its culture. I'm a little older than my boss. My team, I am at least 10yrs older than my oldest manager, the youngest is a couple of years out of Uni. I operate full mission command and have what I would call a "high trust organisation". All our team meetings start with how is everyone doing, feeling, coping before we get on to work stuff. One of my guys took a little while to adjust and others have various domestic challenges. (I should add the team is spread over the UK).
I quickly became the MS Teams Ninja/Guru.

MS Teams is quite good for "sidling up". Its easier because they don't have to come and find you and its easy to see if you are busy or not.
Quite a few times I'll get a chat message, "have you got 2 mins? Can I have a quick chat? etc" I'll ping "go ahead" or "give me xx mins" and then we have a catch up. Somebody was having childcare issues, someone just wanted a chat because they felt a bit isolated. We have some new starters including one who joined 2nd week of lockdown, poor chap hasn't even met me physically yet. But said last week it felt like he has been here months because of the way everyone is so welcoming. I encourage stupid questions, asking if you don't know, etc. Its handy with Teams because in a meeting if you feel embarrassed asking something in open forum you can ping a message.
Especially if you have been browsing ARRSE and not paying attention ;)

The technology is just a vehicle; its good leadership that makes the difference.

E2A: leading properly is actually harder in this environment. I'm "get out on the vehicle park" type. I prefer to face2face, to phoning and I prefer phoning to email. So you just have to work a little harder and adapt your leadership style accordingly.
As I always said when training recruits, 'there are no stupid questions. But there are irrelevant questions'.

Is this not true of any road coming OUT of London...?!
I agree in principle, but the is especially nice. It goes from average speed camera 40mph two lane road to no camera four lane motorway. The 40mph section is usually rammed and moving at 30mph, but I only have to tolerate that for about three miles. And no matter how heavy the traffic there's never enough to fill that road and there's no congestion, so you can mallet it at 70mph, getting around that annoying tit whose doing 60 in lane three.

It will be interesting to see how the lockdown etc changes how we work.
I think working from home (WFH) was viewed with a bit of suspicion by many employers. I think now that many employers have been effectively forced to allow WFH and many have discovered it works perfectly well and can in some cases offer improved productivity.
I've heard that a major bank in Canada One are looking at 50% of their staff WFH going forward. There are quite a few businesses thinking the same. Think of the savings in perm office space.

The org I currently work for already have a policy that everyone should WFH one day a week. We hot-desked, so sometimes getting a desk could be a pain, equally booking meeting rooms. With the restrictions in place now, office capacity is reduced by about 70%

Certainly from my POV I get far more done at home. My home setup is 100% better than the office, I have two 28" HD monitors, a comfy gaming style chair, etc. I can leave work out on my desk, its much quieter.
I don't need to wear a headset on Teams calls, I have a desk mic and audio through speakers.
I'm not commuting for 2 hrs a day, so much less tiring. etc etc. My team feel much the same way.

We use MS Teams which really is very good, sharing screens, whiteboarding, dragging people into meetings (no need to find/book rooms) and using the chat function.
Face to face is good, so we are planning to meet up once a month or for more important stuff, 1-2-1s, performance reviews etc; when the situation normalises a bit. (I'm not giving up my car allowance!)

Suddenly asking people to go to a building a sit together to often talk to other people over the internet; looks very very outdated. So what could be the impact of more people WFH?
How many people not commuting into the city and or not needing to live in the city would it take to start impacting house prices for example. Could that mean pushing up prices outside the cities?
The development of houses with working spaces (we used to call it a study) factored in, etc.

Personally I think much greater WFH is the future.
We always had problems organising meetings around available meeting rooms, but for the past umpteen weeks we've been using a virtual conference app to arrange things and it has been so easy to do. We've had massive briefings for the whole team across multiple sites, down to two people having a chat and inviting a third to join for an opinion or context.

In the land downunder you could claim tax back every year on the days worked from home, I used to do it semi-regularly but you had to keep decent records in case the tax office decided to check up on you. Since this all started the PM has said you can have an increased flat rate for each day you work from home, so I expect a nice little tax rebate this year but if that stops then I expect some people will just decide to go into the office.

There are those who "need" the office environment, normally those who desire the personal contact and love to sit and drink coffee and chat all day, others prefer to be left alone and get on in peace and quiet. I don't mind working from home, but I need certain IT access I can't get from here so I have been going in one day a week to sort that out. Of course if I go back to work the one soul who will object will be the dog, since WFH started he hasn't left my side and goes in the huff for those one day a week in the office days.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Of course if I go back to work the one soul who will object will be the dog, since WFH started he hasn't left my side and goes in the huff for those one day a week in the office days.
Dogs can tell when you're about to die.

We always had problems organising meetings around available meeting rooms, but for the past umpteen weeks we've been using a virtual conference app to arrange things and it has been so easy to do. We've had massive briefings for the whole team across multiple sites, down to two people having a chat and inviting a third to join for an opinion or context.

In the land downunder you could claim tax back every year on the days worked from home, I used to do it semi-regularly but you had to keep decent records in case the tax office decided to check up on you. Since this all started the PM has said you can have an increased flat rate for each day you work from home, so I expect a nice little tax rebate this year but if that stops then I expect some people will just decide to go into the office.

There are those who "need" the office environment, normally those who desire the personal contact and love to sit and drink coffee and chat all day, others prefer to be left alone and get on in peace and quiet. I don't mind working from home, but I need certain IT access I can't get from here so I have been going in one day a week to sort that out. Of course if I go back to work the one soul who will object will be the dog, since WFH started he hasn't left my side and goes in the huff for those one day a week in the office days.
Ignore the shortarse amaZulu in his ghey mincing shorts and take the deg to the office with you.

He'll enjoy the outing and you'll have an excuse to bog off home early.

Chef

LE
A good letter in the latest Spectator.

All very well for the old dogs who know the ropes, but not so helpful for the young ones who are learning their way – there are only so many emails/phone calls you can make to colleagues to say: what do I do now/how should I approach this; very different from an office environment where you can just sidle up to somebody’s desk, or ask while making coffee.
By coincidence a friend of mine is in exactly that position, working for a small company as a PA/general organiser. Been in for a few months then got covid for the first week of the lockdown and working from home ever since.

So not only learning on the job but also with a company learning about WFH on the job too.

As @KnightsofRowallan says a lot of the little things that make life easier are short questions and short answers. Not huge things, plus the idiosyncrasies that all small orgs get:

'We've always filed Mr J Smith under 'T' because he's taller than the other J Smith'. That kind of thing.

It's a steep learning curve for all involved.

As an aside I wonder what'll happen to all the office managers, HR bods and other milk monitors?

As an aside I wonder what'll happen to all the office managers, HR bods and other milk monitors?
Some of them (probably the HR lot) will get new jobs as 'working from home coordinators'. Still doing nothing much and interfering with people actually working.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
They should all progress to their rightful positions as executives in Princess Productions.

Both parties would deserve each other.

Chef

LE
They should all progress to their rightful positions as executives in Princess Productions.

Both parties would deserve each other.
Is there space for a thread in the NAAFI for 'HR and blackboard monitors. Why?'

Some of them (probably the HR lot) will get new jobs as 'working from home coordinators'. Still doing nothing much and interfering with people actually working.
As long as they don't get to check up that you're working from home and not wanking from home

Londo

LE
As long as they don't get to check up that you're working from home and not wanking from home
Nothing wrong with wanking from home . Eeeee ! Ain't retirement grand .
It does upset the wife and cats though .

Latest Threads