Extinction Rebellion protesters - what to do?

They've started on a nearby petrol station. Here we have Tilly involved in another bout of Criminal damage:

Which considering she's on bail for criminal damage (I think? She was charged with it two days ago) might lead to some interesting questions.

More amusingly, apparently one protester has glued himself to the roof. He's out of the way in a safe spot, leave him to it, he's only trespassing at the moment and that's a civil offence, no need to get the police involved, after all we have to respect his right to protest. I'm sure we can all accept that some disruption has to be expected.

8 degrees is forecast for tonight with some slight drizzle about 0200.
Underside of that forecourt roof thing (what is the correct name for it, anyway?) looks like it could do with a wash with a high pressure washer. Right now.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I suspect that irony is not their strong suit.

You'll likely know this. How much it takes to get booted from University for a student? Which I think would be a valuable lesson for Tilly. IE: Actions have Consequences.
Anywhere you could drop that thought into conversation, where it might do some good?

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You'll likely know this. How much it takes to get booted from University for a student? Which I think would be a valuable lesson for Tilly. IE: Actions have Consequences.
Anywhere you could drop that thought into conversation, where it might do some good?
Oddly enough I have just been having that conversation with one of our professors who is at Kings. His view is that were it one of his law students then he would be lobbying the Proctor and the discipline committee, however, when you remember that a student who burned a £20 note in the face of a homeless guy got away with a terms suspension then Tilly may escape censure. However, a criminal conviction ( and she is on bail for a criminal offence) can lead to being rusticated

Oddly enough I have just been having that conversation with one of our professors who is at Kings. His view is that were it one of his law students then he would be lobbying the Proctor and the discipline committee, however, when you remember that a student who burned a £20 note in the face of a homeless guy got away with a terms suspension then Tilly may escape censure. However, a criminal conviction ( and she is on bail for a criminal offence) can lead to being rusticated
The case that popped into my head was the Gilmour/Cenotaph interface.

Tyk

LE
I'm just around the corner from them and it is bloody cold. Had thought I might wander down and have a look and give them a bit of support but; a) I don't want to leave my comfy chair. b) It's cold. c) I have a heater beside me. d) I have a hot cup of coffee. d) I don't support them in any way.
It seems that the lovely Tilly ( who seems dimmer than her lamplike namesake) is pouring molasses. Such a shame it's not summer, the wasps around that filling station are voracious, thanks to unemptied bins outside.
Maybe bob round with some icrecreme for them, I'm sure a nice snack would be in order.

@wetsmonkey spectacular saying nothing can be done on any level.

No great surprise people plan to sort the feckers out themselves given the Police have given up.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Exactly. We take what we want from them, the losing cheese-eating surrender monkey's.

The SCOTS DG also took what they rightly wanted and smugly display it as their cap-badge

So youve got a flag.
And you gave it a french name.

In fact that type of flag had a french name even before your regiment existed.
Yet you still chose to use a french name.

Every step you take brings you closer to a full on mince.
Get off the gay pony before you're infected.

Kevll@r

Old-Salt
I suppose one option would be for the UK gobment to start taking global warming and the destruction of the environment seriously.

MsG
Seems people would rather take the p1ss out of the activists. All very funny and easy but misses the point completely- fair play to them.

Nine arrested for the shell hi-jinks. Five for Criminal Damage, four for aggravated trespass.

More interestingly:

One of the members of Extinction Rebellion Cambridge said: "We found a typed up letter on an A4 piece of paper threatening us with physical harm between 9pm tonight and 6am tomorrow. It had one of our member's names written on the back too.
SO the letter was left lying around at the camp? In this wind? Also, with the sheer number of Cameras/Press in the area you'd think they'd be able to spot the letter being dropped off. Bit like the masked bloke who showed up hurling insults the other day. Still no footage of that.

What is it about Cambridge that is attracting this round of protests?
University, students, professors, idealistic naivety breeding ground.

offog

LE
Nine arrested for the shell hi-jinks. Five for Criminal Damage, four for aggravated trespass.

More interestingly:

SO the letter was left lying around at the camp? In this wind? Also, with the sheer number of Cameras/Press in the area you'd think they'd be able to spot the letter being dropped off. Bit like the masked bloke who showed up hurling insults the other day. Still no footage of that.
I see from ER tweet they left a bit out.

""A reminder of who this mob violence is being targeted at. People dressed as fruits and vegetables, children, clergywomen and men, mothers, daughters, sons and fathers who want a habitable planet for all living beings".
It should end "Provided you do what we say or else we will make life very difficult for you. For we are the true religion and any who disagree are heretics and stupid and will be hunted down".

Why not other university cities and towns? Labour MP got in there with 25,000 or so votes.The Green managed about 2000.Hardly a hotbed of environmentalism is it?
I dunno, just my thoughts. Although I doubt you dispute the idealistic naivety. ;-)

More interestingly:

I guess they could have made it more obviously faked. But only by signing it 'From Jeremy Clarkson and assorted racist Brexit fans. (PS we hate the planet)'

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

More interestingly:

And beautifully written, almost calligraphy. Not like the normal 'right wing thuggish group' that it seems to want to paint.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Why not other university cities and towns? Labour MP got in there with 25,000 or so votes.The Green managed about 2000.Hardly a hotbed of environmentalism is it?
You are right, Cambridge is a really multi-cultural city, with enormous levels of tolerance. It can be violent, we have had a number of murders and violent attacks recently, but like a lot of these events they are pretty much confined to a very small community. This community being of a certain demographic type, by which I mean young men , usually drug users or, failing that, having tipped out of a club full of alcohol and aggression.

In general terms, crime is of the low level nuisance variety, and the city is quite easy going. Which is perhaps why this group have been prominent. They have shown wisdom in positioning themselves quite a distance from the "entertainment" section of the city, close to two very expensive and exclusive hotels where the chances of being attacked by half a dozen drunken lads from a club is remote.

Latest Threads