Extinction Rebellion protesters - what to do?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, considering the following...

XR appear to regard the police as a minor inconvenience and nothing to worry about.

The Police seem more concerned with the "rights" the XR protestors than maintaining public order or responding to the fears of the general public about aggresive vandalism etc

Joe public is becoming to see the police as a laughing stock with no ability to do anything but spout endless excuses about why they are "unable" to do anything.

Situations like this are undoing any respect given to the plods for their prompt and efficient despatch of several recent terrorists.

Something is going to have to give. Personally I hope the Home Secretary gets a grip of the senior plods and instructs them to grow a pair or resign.

The only other option I can see happening is when Joe Public has had enough and gives XR a quick hands on demonstration of how little support they actually have from the public. Somehow I can't see this lot putting up much of a fight when a couple of white van blokes show them where to put their banner...

Fundamental debate: 'rights' (a nebulous concept) versus law and order.

The police and politicians need to decide whose side they're on.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Spoken to him, his reply was 'operational police matters are in the purview of the Chief Constable and the role of the PCC is to support him and not interfere in operational matters'.
So, a pointless position then.
In other words they really are commissars and not commissioners because the politics come first.

NSP

LE
The only other option I can see happening is when Joe Public has had enough and gives XR a quick hands on demonstration of how little support they actually have from the public. Somehow I can't see this lot putting up much of a fight when a couple of white van blokes show them where to put their banner...
And that's the point that Plod suddenly becomes motivated, and not against the XR twunts...

I know even less about this stuff than Jim Shortt but isn't that the old US woodland pattern camouflage? Coupled with some strange rank badge that looks vaguely US air force?
Yes it is either the older American woodland or a close copy of it.

That's what came in in the '70s and the badge is a homage to XR.
I can see some similarity to DPM but if you examine it more closely, it isn’t DPM but the old American woodland.

I had to look a couple of times to be sure. The old boy wearing a pretty obvious UK beret doesn’t help.

offog

LE
Yes it is either the older American woodland or a close copy of it.

I can see some similarity to DPM but if you examine it more closely, it isn’t DPM but the old American woodland.

I had to look a couple of times to be sure. The old boy wearing a pretty obvious UK beret doesn’t help.
He also has a RAnglian beret on, You don't see many of those around.

One of the Cambridge bunch who appears to be a spokesperson of sorts is one Tilly Potter, a 3rd year Philosophy student at Kings. Now, bearing in mind that in a few weeks the exam season is abroad, I can't help but wonder if her tutors, and those who financially support her will be as excited and pleased at the lack of study preparation. Mind you, Philosophy?
Basically art history.

And do what with them?
Well I think we should help them in their cause, and convert them into natural fertilisers for the very Earth they decimate.

They can dig their own graves and when they are done with their shovels thay can all deliver a swift blow to the head to each other to occupy said graves and cease their existence - therefore ensuring they become carbon neutral.

I'd happily deliver the final blow to the last man standing in order to do my bit for the planet.

It's what they would have wanted anyhow.

One of the Cambridge bunch who appears to be a spokesperson of sorts is one Tilly Potter, a 3rd year Philosophy student at Kings. Now, bearing in mind that in a few weeks the exam season is abroad, I can't help but wonder if her tutors, and those who financially support her will be as excited and pleased at the lack of study preparation. Mind you, Philosophy?
I'm sure I read something that basically says that period in the run up to exams I'd the key time student protests.

Venting pressure, trying to get control of life, who knows.

I'm sure I read something that basically says that period in the run up to exams I'd the key time student protests.

Venting pressure, trying to get control of life, who knows.
What? Rebellion against the norm from University students? Next you are going to tell me young soldiers are drinking too much and having fights with local civilians!
The only difference today is PC Plod are terrified, it's not that they don't have the power, it's the backlash that they are afraid of, similar to the prison service where the upper echelons will not back them up as they may besmirch their good name and miss a spot on the next Honours list!

aardvark64

Old-Salt
Apparently a wealthy sponsor is donating some £800 a week to help their cause. Love to know who it is.
Probably the same philanthropists who used to donate to CND during the Molesworth and Greenham Common demonstrations. Their name (or their collective name) escapes me at the moment.

View attachment 450818

Is he the same chap?

An ex-serviceman from Cambridge says he is in ‘serious pain’ and ‘might need an operation’ after a car allegedly drove into him while he was protesting with Extinction Rebellion.
Last Saturday (January 18), Extinction Rebellion (XR) protesters blocked entry to the BP garage on Elizabeth Way in the longest shutdown staged in Cambridge so far.
Born-and-bred Cantabrigian Donald Bell, 64, was protesting with Extinction Rebellion when a car tried to enter the petrol station.
View attachment 450819

Clearly not in any pain now.
US Woodland cammo, US rank insignia, British beret. All combat indicators of a grade 1 chopper.

Latest Threads