Extinction Rebellion protesters - what to do?

It's a lawn ffs !
And in a university town too.

I don't know why local residents and sportsmen don't pitch for some nice peaceful cricket practice on that grass.
Stop getting so het up, just go out and enjoy yourselves.

As with every game and practice it would be unfortunate if anyone were to get in the way of a bat or ball, but I imagine people factor this in and treat these minor dangers as acceptable when invading the pitch.
“Pitch” - Very good.

…..In other assorted news. It seems local people have been a complaining to the police:

And not getting the responses they desired....
Any mileage in someone putting in an official complaint against individual police? For example, if you are personally affected by criminal damage, obstruction etc., you point this out to the senior officer present and they refuse to do anything.

Any mileage in someone putting in an official complaint against individual police? For example, if you are personally affected by criminal damage, obstruction etc., you point this out to the senior officer present and they refuse to do anything.
that, it seems would be utterly counter productive, as the front line types are willing to do their bit:

(looks like they managed to find someone who would stand up to XR and stick a complaint in, or morel ikely had them on something else.)

The problem lies elsewhere:

Interestingly the clause they're using to get out of doing some work comes from the ECHR. Which maybe quite an interesting one for Boris. and the EU repeal act.

I did wonder if recalling the PCC might suddenly focus the higher ups minds. However that idea which was floated in the wake of Rotherham seems to have been quietly dropped, and as it stands the PCC's are remarkably unaccountable.

On the Plus side the PCC elections are this year. The Local newspaper has held a poll on XR's actions... seems to be going well for XR.
Also the Lawn stunt gained the Change.org petition, gaining it 2,000 extra votes.

Like any other silly children, and the religious, they should just be ignored. As someone said, build a cordon or better, lined heras fencing around them and everyone else just carries on.

Well, considering the following...

XR appear to regard the police as a minor inconvenience and nothing to worry about.

The Police seem more concerned with the "rights" the XR protestors than maintaining public order or responding to the fears of the general public about aggresive vandalism etc

Joe public is becoming to see the police as a laughing stock with no ability to do anything but spout endless excuses about why they are "unable" to do anything.

Situations like this are undoing any respect given to the plods for their prompt and efficient despatch of several recent terrorists.

Something is going to have to give. Personally I hope the Home Secretary gets a grip of the senior plods and instructs them to grow a pair or resign.

The only other option I can see happening is when Joe Public has had enough and gives XR a quick hands on demonstration of how little support they actually have from the public. Somehow I can't see this lot putting up much of a fight when a couple of white van blokes show them where to put their banner...

Well, considering the following...

XR appear to regard the police as a minor inconvenience and nothing to worry about.

The Police seem more concerned with the "rights" the XR protestors than maintaining public order or responding to the fears of the general public about aggresive vandalism etc

Joe public is becoming to see the police as a laughing stock with no ability to do anything but spout endless excuses about why they are "unable" to do anything.

Situations like this are undoing any respect given to the plods for their prompt and efficient despatch of several recent terrorists.

Something is going to have to give. Personally I hope the Home Secretary gets a grip of the senior plods and instructs them to grow a pair or resign.

The only other option I can see happening is when Joe Public has had enough and gives XR a quick hands on demonstration of how little support they actually have from the public. Somehow I can't see this lot putting up much of a fight when a couple of white van blokes show them where to put their banner...
I've said as much on here. Although I suspect its going to be someone driving their car through the next XR roadblock.

Hmmm, I wonder how the police would react if someone were to hold a pop up demonstration, blocking Warkworth Terrace, about 115 from from the junction with Parkside Road*? Invite the press along as well for shits and giggles.

*That's the front gate for Parkside police station, the main station in Cambridge.

I've said as much on here. Although I suspect its going to be someone driving their car through the next XR roadblock.

Hmmm, I wonder how the police would react if someone were to hold a pop up demonstration, blocking Warkworth Terrace, about 115 from from the junction with Parkside Road*? Invite the press along as well for shits and giggles.

*That's the front gate for Parkside police station, the main station in Cambridge.
Do you mean at shift change, when the oncoming shift have arrived and the off going shift haven't left yet? That would be a dreadful inconvenience but perfectly exercising legal right to demonstrate.

Do you mean at shift change, when the oncoming shift have arrived and the off going shift haven't left yet? That would be a dreadful inconvenience but perfectly exercising legal right to demonstrate.
Obviously, I'd suggest anyone doing so allow blue light runs through.

Trouble is, the Chief of Police doesn't work from there. Him and his staff are at Hinchingbrooke, and anything the protesters tried to do would be dwarfed by the chaos caused by the car parking situation.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
It would seem that the police as presented by one James Sutherland are merely using various aspects in order to allow themselves to do nothing. Alternatively of course there could be the fact that the police actually are in agreement with those they like to call "peaceful protestors".
I feel the police are too frightened to take on anyone who might, just might, actually question what they are doing. After all it seems a lot easier to investigate and log what they like to term "hate" incidents and crimes.
Needless to say I do not trust, or have respect for the police.

3ToedSloth

Old-Salt
On the Plus side the PCC elections are this year. The Local newspaper has held a poll on XR's actions... seems to be going well for XR.
Also the Lawn stunt gained the Change.org petition, gaining it 2,000 extra votes.
Unsurprisingly, 93% of those responding to the poll consider it a clear act of vandalism, so XR aren't exactly winning the battle for hearts and minds. Without some level of public support their movement is unsustainable.

Two thoughts spring to mind:
1. Are the police taking a never interfere with your enemy when he is making a mistake approach.
2. Has XR been infiltrated at a reasonably senior level?

Awol

LE
I've said it before, a counter-XR protest a few hundred yards away would be cleared out before you could say "useless biased police".

They got one for criminal damage it looks like:

One. Just One.

Interestingly nearly every time I google these muppets it shows recent tweets. They have all been almost universally critical.

In response XR have said they'd let people on a medical emergency through their roadblocks. You just need to coordinate with them before hand.
Of course, it says nothing about what happens if you're stuck at the back of the queue of traffic they caused.

I believe we could influence the local Police to act, we should issue a statement telling all that we, a bunch of Arrse activists, intend to barricade and blockade Parkside Police station and not allow any vehicles through until they agree to certain demands. The demands can be made up as you feel fit but I suggest that one should be that they address the matter of low level crime and disruption. Sure, terrorism, murder and such like have a dreadful impact, but generally on only a very small minority of the public. What does impact on most is the sort of stuff that is deemed not very important; theft of bikes; theft from shops; obstruction of te footpath and highway, etc.
Conversely, we could form a cordon around the XR protesters and refuse to allow them to leave the site of their protest for anything.

My bold … hmm … or possibly a letter to chief plod threatening that if you as a tax paying citizen are obstructed by a bunch of law breaking morons blocking your free passage along the Queens highway with illegal barriers, you will take steps to remove such obstruction and if some yob tries to stop you, their actions will be classed as assault and you, as a highly trained military/ex military person :) , will defend yourself using whatever force you deem necessary in making a "citizens arrest" !
No doubt plod will be sent to arrest YOU for threatening violence, we seem have such a pathetic spineless Farce as Police these days!

that, it seems would be utterly counter productive, as the front line types are willing to do their bit:

(looks like they managed to find someone who would stand up to XR and stick a complaint in, or morel ikely had them on something else.)

The problem lies elsewhere:

Interestingly the clause they're using to get out of doing some work comes from the ECHR. Which maybe quite an interesting one for Boris. and the EU repeal act.

I did wonder if recalling the PCC might suddenly focus the higher ups minds. However that idea which was floated in the wake of Rotherham seems to have been quietly dropped, and as it stands the PCC's are remarkably unaccountable.

My bold I hope that was ironic as 92% of the respondents thought it was nothing but sheer vandalism!

In response XR have said they'd let people on a medical emergency through their roadblocks. You just need to coordinate with them before hand.
I think im spotting the problem there

If you have time to coordinate the movement of a casualty then its not likely your going to wait until its an emergency.
Do many people call ambulances before they fall off the ladder / crash the car / skewer their hand with a knife etc

I think im spotting the problem there

If you have time to coordinate the movement of a casualty then its not likely your going to wait until its an emergency.
Do many people call ambulances before they fall off the ladder / crash the car / skewer their hand with a knife etc
Probably because in Soviet Russia accidents pre plan themselves for you.

Stabbing your self with an ice axe happens all to often there

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
My bold … hmm … or possibly a letter to chief plod threatening that if you as a tax paying citizen are obstructed by a bunch of law breaking morons blocking your free passage along the Queens highway with illegal barriers, you will take steps to remove such obstruction and if some yob tries to stop you, their actions will be classed as assault and you, as a highly trained military/ex military person :) , will defend yourself using whatever force you deem necessary in making a "citizens arrest" !
No doubt plod will be sent to arrest YOU for threatening violence, we seem have such a pathetic spineless Farce as Police these days!
I'm actually seeking advice from the law professors here as to the feasibility of making a complaint to HM Inspectorate citing the gross negligence shown by both the Chief Constable and the Commander of Southern Division.

Latest Threads