Extinction Rebellion protesters - what to do?

Kevll@r

Clanker
One or two days a month, a couple of dozen people, outside different embassies each time? That's hilariously ineffective. A permanent presence, potentially for years, the chasing down of everyone who goes in and out -- these actions are do-able and yet not done.
Do you seriously think that the Met would have any of that? Get real.

offog

LE
1) Cleaner cheaper coal- why buy british expensive dirty coal?
2) Solve the problem of radioactive decay in 100 years? There is one way- use it as a neutron source for thorium reactors, but that'll never happen.
3) Edison may well win- 100 years after Tesla won with his (then) far better high-voltage long distance transmission. You're right about the materials for storage, but vanadium is one option if a little bulky.
4) Sellafield is a mess, underfunded, dangerous and doesn't have the capacity for the amount of spent fuel it is required to reprocess. That's not greenpeaces fault, that's BNFL and the government.

Can we agree on at least one thing? We need a better answer to our power needs.
200 years ago no one traveled faster than a horse.
100 years ago the only way to fly was to travel with the wind
60 years ago they thought the sound barrier would never be broken.
50 years ago we saw that the world was round.
If we wanted to solve the nuclear waste problem it would take less than a hundred year.

3 and what is going to power all these local power plants and which houses are you going to knock down to build them. National grid was set up for a reason and DC would not fill that. Not too long ago I was in a rural house in NI which still used hurricane lamps and turf for heating as it was too far from the grid. How are you going to get power to the remote areas of the county. DC may work for towns but the cost of replacing the grid would be enormous. China could do it as they are almost starting from scratch.

As for 4 - not Greenpeace who put obstacles in the way of Sellafield.

There are far too many to put up, Government is like a river, it takes the path of least resistance.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

offog

LE
There is quite enough of the necessary chemicals to meet our needs. Google is your friend. As for the RSPB- a big scrap between them and XR would settle that :)
With China expanding and India following the drain on rare earth minerals will be very great. China has some of the biggest reserves but has chosen to buy lot from Australia, I wonder why, have they seen the writing on the wall?

TamH70

MIA
You're taking all the fun out of life, you are.
Google is not your friend, it's mine, I tells ya, MINE! ;)

All but one of the photos in the video (there's one of a lassie in Wehrmacht uniform from a post-war film pointed out and time-stamped in the comments section as not even being German) are gen up ones that were taken of the BDM, the Bundes Deutscher Madel or League of German Girls - the distaff equivalent of the Hitler Jugend, or Hitler Youth. Including the one linked above, which is that video I just found's thumbnail image.

Or maybe not. Black and white images are notoriously amenable to being taken out of context.

Awol

LE
I think it's quite telling that our Kev has been called a sock several times, but hasn't once asked what it means.

It's almost as if he's a site regular.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Google is not your friend, it's mine, I tells ya, MINE! ;)

All but one of the photos in the video (there's one of a lassie in Wehrmacht uniform from a post-war film pointed out and time-stamped in the comments section as not even being German) are gen up ones that were taken of the BDM, the Bundes Deutscher Madel or League of German Girls - the distaff equivalent of the Hitler Jugend, or Hitler Youth. Including the one linked above, which is that video I just found's thumbnail image.

Or maybe not. Black and white images are notoriously amenable to being taken out of context.
None of these then?

hitler maiden.jpg

SS.jpg

warden.jpg

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I think it's quite telling that our Kev has been called a sock several times, but hasn't once asked what it means.

It's almost as if he's a site regular.
Yes, I have noted it slips up on certain little bits here and there.

Kevll@r

Clanker
With China expanding and India following the drain on rare earth minerals will be very great. China has some of the biggest reserves but has chosen to buy lot from Australia, I wonder why, have they seen the writing on the wall?
China buys iron ore and coal from Aus. They have a monopoly on rare earths (which aren't rare, and aren't earths)… they're terribly polluting to extract and they don't really care too much. The five really essential ones (like for your iPhone screen and such) are basically diluted from the earth with acid and the land left poisoned. China will be buying less iron ore as their growth slows.

I see the problem here You are one of those "If you aren't agreeing with me completely" you are totally against everything I say and must be I complete agreement with the other side types.

Someone who cannot grasp that not agreeing with the methods and POLITICAL aims of XR does not mean doesn't agree with protecting the environment.

Hence the teddy out the pram strawman that by not bowing down before the altar of XR im calling for mass consumerism

@BugsyIV - I believe this to be one of yours for remedial action.

Tell you what I will read all 5000+ posts to get the context of the thread and get back to you.
Thursday Eleventytwelveth of Smarch.

TamH70

MIA
Tell you what I will read all 5000+ posts to get the context of the thread and get back to you.
Thursday Eleventytwelveth of Smarch.
Stop using the fragrant Flabbottopotamus's day planner.

So Fwancis has been an extinct shark, a bootie YO, feckin' Baglock, a fake Wyomingite and now a narrowboat-dwelling park rapist with a creepy fixation on a Scandi kid with severe learning difficulties.

How many have I missed?

Latest Threads