Extinction Rebellion protesters - what to do?

I thought I'd check up on the news, to see what our favourite belters have been up to locally. And here's the moment when Mateyboy from up thread received his fracture:

Now, seeing as on Monday, they pulled this shite:

Once again they target one of the main through fares in north Cambridge, locking everything up for about an hour and a half. At the far end of the road they blocked is a roundabout, which leads onto Elizabeth Way Bridge. This is again one of the main ways to cross the Cam, and is the most direct route for Fire and police, and often for Ambulance. Do you think that bridge was clear? Police response time of 1 hour, to a pre-advertised event! The tree huggers only had 15 minutes left, so they knocked it on the head.
One of the officers is speaking to the group and said: “Is there anything I can reasonably say to any of you to get you to move out of the road?”
Really...? How about "Get in the van!".

Those who want to join them are asked to bring banners, flags and leaflets and are advised there is a “low risk of arrest” but should be trained in non-violent direction action.

Legal observers and “de-escalators” are also requested.
There you have it, a low risk of arrest. My bigger worry is what's going to happen as this keeps on going.
1: The police do not seem to want to enforce the laws of the country.
2: People are getting narked off.
So how long until the XR lot march out in front of a car, and someone says "I refer you to Prosser Vs Dent, 1979!", sticks it into first and goes. When that does happen, the root cause would be the police not enforcing the law. normally I support the police, but it does look like they're at fault here.

but it does look like they're at fault here
Logistics.
I mentioned the chicken farm blockade on Monday.There 20 30 protestors first thing.Six coppers.The numbers of protesters grew through the day maybe about 60 at the end.Still only a slack handful of coppers.How could they arrest all of them? And on what grounds? Their press release said they had broken into the chicken farm is that trespass and a civil matter? Then what to do with them? I doubt there are enough cells in the local area to hold them all.
Wading in with nightsticks is an option, but not one that would look good.
The heavy rain dispersed them eventually, along with 50 chickens the farmer let them have.And I don’t think any arrests were made.

Logistics.
I mentioned the chicken farm blockade on Monday.There 20 30 protestors first thing.Six coppers.The numbers of protesters grew through the day maybe about 60 at the end.Still only a slack handful of coppers.How could they arrest all of them? And on what grounds? Their press release said they had broken into the chicken farm is that trespass and a civil matter? Then what to do with them? I doubt there are enough cells in the local area to hold them all.
That is an entirely different matter.
Here you only have about seven-ten individuals. The laws are there, Eg Blocking a highway, unlawful demonstration. I suspect there's a few more that can be found, to do with noise in a residential area etc. There's also a bit of a difference between doing a business like a chicken farm which the vast majority of people will not use, and blocking everyone's commute home on a public highway.
Heck, they could be arrested, bussed off to the police station and then de-arrested (with or without a FPN? No idea at the moment) and released at the police station. Road clear, police are seen to do something, they've had their fun and games shouting at people, police cells are not blocked up. Equally if that happens then people will be less inclined to do something themselves as the police are perceived to be able to enforce the law of the land. Its the down side of the whole policing by consent of the community thing. If the community gives its consent, but you're not seen to be policing and protecting the community, then how long until the community says "screw this", and shows up with the metaphysical 2x4's.

You'll note, no one has complained about the Grand arcade stunt, where they sat down, had their say, and caused zero disruption?

Consider, if you will someone who got caught up in last weeks blockade at the science park, now this weeks one on the main road, and the ensuing traffic chaos. The Police have been largely ineffective and not even seen to be present. XR have said they'll keep doing it, at least twice a week. So in two-three weeks, of this, how frustrated and royally pissed are people going to be? Especially if the Police are only noticeable by their absence. That's when things start to go wrong, like the mob incident at Canning Town.

Equally look at some of the key words you see in the above links. How many times do you see the word "Rebel", social justice or anti-establishment phrases similar? There's some dodgy rhetoric there. Apparently they are also moaning about Cambridge's 'over-reliance' on fossil fuels, and demands for Cambridge council to do something about public transport.
I'm sorry, but that's a deranged statement. Cambridge is well know for being a cyling city, indeed just getting into it by car can be fun. Then you have the Guided busway, all the park and rides and recently a second train station being opened. As others have pointed out, this isn't about climate change, its about other things.

Here you only have about seven-ten individuals. The laws are there, Eg Blocking a highway, unlawful demonstration. I suspect there's a few more that can be found, to do with noise in a residential area etc. There's also a bit of a difference between doing a business like a chicken farm which the vast majority of people will not use, and blocking everyone's commute home on a public highway.
Heck, they could be arrested, bussed off to the police station and then de-arrested (with or without a FPN? No idea at the moment) and released at the police station. Road clear, police are seen to do something, they've had their fun and games shouting at people, police cells are not blocked up. Equally if that happens then people will be less inclined to do something themselves as the police are perceived to be able to enforce the law of the land. Its the down side of the whole policing by consent of the community thing. If the community gives its consent, but you're not seen to be policing and protecting the community, then how long until the community says "screw this", and shows up with the metaphysical 2x4's.
Ref my bold: how about arrested, driven 10 miles out of town and released?

Here you only have about seven-ten individuals.
Is an unlawful demonstration an offence? Were 20 30 coppers available to carry out the arrests? (I am guessing at numbers required) We are told police numbers are very low. I agree that “ more needs to be done” about these disruptive protests, but we need to face the reality.
Not much more can be or will be done.

You'll note, no one has complained about the Grand arcade stunt, where they sat down, had their say, and caused zero disruption?

Consider, if you will someone who got caught up in last weeks blockade at the science park, now this weeks one on the main road, and the ensuing traffic chaos. The Police have been largely ineffective and not even seen to be present. XR have said they'll keep doing it, at least twice a week. So in two-three weeks, of this, how frustrated and royally pissed are people going to be? Especially if the Police are only noticeable by their absence. That's when things start to go wrong, like the mob incident at Canning Town.

Equally look at some of the key words you see in the above links. How many times do you see the word "Rebel", social justice or anti-establishment phrases similar? There's some dodgy rhetoric there. Apparently they are also moaning about Cambridge's 'over-reliance' on fossil fuels, and demands for Cambridge council to do something about public transport.
I'm sorry, but that's a deranged statement. Cambridge is well know for being a cyling city, indeed just getting into it by car can be fun. Then you have the Guided busway, all the park and rides and recently a second train station being opened. As others have pointed out, this isn't about climate change, its about other things.
If each time they bussed them off to a random police station hundreds of miles away without an airport or train station nearby, then dearrest them

Would that be legal, it might deter the least committed if they keep being inconvenienced

Is an unlawful demonstration an offence? Were 20 30 coppers available to carry out the arrests? (I am guessing at numbers required) We are told police numbers are very low.
Take your pick:

There's at least two three that can be thrown in on that list.

Equally I'm not sure that 20-30 cops are needed. Risk assessing these lot (One's a university lecturer FFS) are unlikely to kick off.

I agree that “ more needs to be done” about these disruptive protests, but we need to face the reality.
Not much more can be or will be done.
And here lies the problem, what do you think will happen when word of that becomes common knowledge?

If each time they bussed them off to a random police station hundreds of miles away without an airport or train station nearby, then dearrest them

Would that be legal, it might deter the least committed if they keep being inconvenienced
Police: Sorry mate, Parkside Detention is full, we've got spaces for you at Thorpewood though!
Protester, upon Release: I shall continue with my holly vow to protest *goes stands on the Fletton Parkway.*
Driver: Na uboczu, Idiota! *Splat, dribbledribble*

as in "released back into the wild..."? Now there's a concept, "you object to all this traffic and carbon emissions so we will take you somewhere it's not a problem, Welcome to Royston Vasey......"
You'll never want to leave.

One of the officers is speaking to the group and said: “Is there anything I can reasonably say to any of you to get you to move out of the road?”

The above phrase is part of The Five Step Appeal that came about as case law and is considered best practise when dealing with protestors prior to actually arresting them. It is videoed and in court the footage is shown and indicates that police have given the protestors every opportunity to desist before resorting to arrest.

PACE states generally that they must be taken to the closest police station that has a dedicated and authorised detention facility.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
PACE states generally that they must be taken to the closest police station that has a dedicated and authorised detention facility.
I suppose there's no chance of building a perfectly dedicated and authorised police station of suitable size on the island of North Rona.

I suppose there's no chance of building a perfectly dedicated and authorised police station of suitable size on the island of North Rona.
Which could then lawfully be used for people arrested nearby?

Well Cambs are looking at bailing on Parkside (in the middle of the city) and getting a full blown purpose built place out in Milton, with a proper modern full sized detention facility.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Which could then lawfully be used for people arrested nearby?
That's the main problem with you narrow minded people. It would be the nearest perfectly dedicated and authorised police station of suitable size.

Then transport them to the nearest one with spare capacity. If that happens to be in Norwich, or Shoreditch, or Edinburgh, so be it. But don't let them obstruct the highway and wilfully allow them free reign to do what any other citizen would be arrested for. That is just negligent abrogation of responsibility on the part of the police.

Latest Threads