Extinction Rebellion protesters - what to do?

If we are going to be introducing new legislation, may I suggest a "Deliberate Arrest Act", which makes it a criminal offence to organise or be part of an organised attempt to prevent policing by deliberately causing multiple arrests as part of a protest or demonstration.

The law will stop people from being arrested in such large numbers as to overwhelm a police force's ability to cope.

Punishments are at both the individual level (up; to five years imprisonment for each offence, and a permanent ban on attending protests or demonstrations), and at the organisation level (if an organisation actively encourages people to be deliberately arrested, they can have assets they controlled sequestrated up to the value of 25% for each offence).

That would allow people to demonstrate, and indeed be arrested if an individual breaks the law, but will give ER and its followers pause for thought if they organised, and were part of, a deliberate attempt to prevent police arrests by overwhelming the custody suites ability to cope.

I don’t think that Coke is technically a solvent but it is acidic. Drop a dirty coin into it a see how well it cleans it.
To clarify, it wasn't a dig at the exact description! I never knew it dissolved (or whatever the correct scientific phase is) superglue. Thinking about it I remember the old and bold talking about coke or vinegar to clean gas parts.

To clarify, it wasn't a dig at the exact description! I never knew it dissolved (or whatever the correct scientific phase is) superglue. Thinking about it I remember the old and bold talking about coke or vinegar to clean gas parts.
The company that originally had the contract to transport Coca Cola in the USA (in concentrated form in tankers) used to use the diluted form of the concentrate to clean the engines on their trucks.

I didn't want to say it, but it will lead to a fatality IMHO, I don't know which side the aggression will come from but it is usually from people who don't get their own way.
If XR try to impede the herds during that Black Friday thing thene there will be blood.

It's already like the Running of the Bulls when there's no soap dodgers trying to snarl things up.

4(T)

LE
Especially with thousands of people who are actively seeking to be arrested.

A problem is that the government has failed to come up with deterrent for the sort of large-scale activism that goes beyond the reasonable level of free protest enshrined in law.

You'd have thought that a sensible package would be to allow the police to, say, issue on-the-spot fines (say £500) to those rounded up outside a lawful protest area. Perhaps even provision for a fast-track field magistrates court or similar.

Of far greater concern to the general public, however, is the perception that the Police overall have failed to make adequate provision for large-scale public disorder since the London criminal riots.

Then coppers wonder why they are despised.

They will not do anything to prevent people going about their lawful business being inconvenienced by XR, but - as you point out - there are plenty of them when it comes to one black lad being harassed because he had done nothing wrong except let his phone run out of charge; and all the while the senior officers are making videos about pronouns "rights".

What a farcical organisation the UK police has become.
Do you think we got the full story? I am willing to bet Matey got gobby and arsey when stopped. Resulting in him getting cuffed.
As to 3 police being there, so what. Do you think every cop is rushed of their feet every second of every day?
The fuçker at fault is the ball bag who's phone ran out of charge. He probably ran it out on his journey instagramming/snapchatting and face booking a selfie saying "Oh noes Fam! Phone dying".
He left the house with it about to die no one else is responsible.
As for gobby mare interfering I will to bet she was playing the race card, I have done revenue enforcement and got called a racist every day, nope but if you jump the barriers weather your black, yellow, red or sky blue pink with polka dots I am stopping you to make you pay.

If we are going to be introducing new legislation, may I suggest a "Deliberate Arrest Act", which makes it a criminal offence to organise or be part of an organised attempt to prevent policing by deliberately causing multiple arrests as part of a protest or demonstration.

The law will stop people from being arrested in such large numbers as to overwhelm a police force's ability to cope.

Punishments are at both the individual level (up; to five years imprisonment for each offence, and a permanent ban on attending protests or demonstrations), and at the organisation level (if an organisation actively encourages people to be deliberately arrested, they can have assets they controlled sequestrated up to the value of 25% for each offence).

That would allow people to demonstrate, and indeed be arrested if an individual breaks the law, but will give ER and its followers pause for thought if they organised, and were part of, a deliberate attempt to prevent police arrests by overwhelming the custody suites ability to cope.
Suggest it to your local MP. See what they say, additional prison space will obviously need funding.

I think you are living in a dream world if you think politicians will agree to 5 years imprisonment, when robbers and burglars don’t receive that.

Give it a try though.

If XR try to impede the herds during that Black Friday thing thene there will be blood.

It's already like the Running of the Bulls when there's no soap dodgers trying to snarl things up.
You mean the black Friday that's been a damp squib the last couple of years as people realise the exact same offers are available online to collect at their leisure or get delivered meaning no waiting all night in the cold.

A problem is that the government has failed to come up with deterrent for the sort of large-scale activism that goes beyond the reasonable level of free protest enshrined in law.

You'd have thought that a sensible package would be to allow the police to, say, issue on-the-spot fines (say £500) to those rounded up outside a lawful protest area. Perhaps even provision for a fast-track field magistrates court or similar.

Of far greater concern to the general public, however, is the perception that the Police overall have failed to make adequate provision for large-scale public disorder since the London criminal riots.
The protestors will just refuse to pay the fine, elect to appear in court and plead not guilty, requesting a trial, in order to clog up the system.

I am a huge advocate generally of fast tracking offenders into court like The US, where they can immediately plea.

How do the police after a decade of severe underfunding, that has resulted in the loss of Circa 21000 police officers and 20000 staff and the loss of scores of custody blocks and buildings in order to stay within budget get themselves in a better position than 2011?

Suggest it to your local MP. See what they say, additional prison space will obviously need funding.

I think you are living in a dream world if you think politicians will agree to 5 years imprisonment, when robbers and burglars don’t receive that.

Give it a try though.
I said UP TO five years for each offence. A first offence would be lower obviously (why do I have to explain this sort of thing to you, a serving officer?) but if someone breaches the part of the act banning them from attending more protests and then takes part in another organised arrest-fest, then the next jail term will go up.

There won't be many five year terms as most of them will be put off taking part in protests after the first one, let alone get involved in another organised mass-arrest situation.

During this latest demonstration, The Met did what they are legally obliged to do, facilitate lawful protest, they did this by producing a S14 POA 1986 notice limiting the protest to Trafalgar Square. That’s where the protest centred.

You must somedays wish that there was a outlaw declaration you could issue so you could walk away and leave them unpoliced and unprotected , they *do* think anarchy is a good system after all..... :p :)

What could possibly go wrong when societal constraints are relaxed....

I said UP TO five years for each offence. A first offence would be lower obviously (why do I have to explain this sort of thing to you, a serving officer?) but if someone breaches the part of the act banning them from attending more protests and then takes part in another organised arrest-fest, then the next jail term will go up.

There won't be many five year terms as most of them will be put off taking part in protests after the first one, let alone get involved in another organised mass-arrest situation.
In order to impose UP to a 5 year sentence, it would need to be made an Indictable or Either Way offence triable at Crown Court with a Jury and Barristers. The Crown Court system is currently overwhelmed and backlogged.

Yes with multiple £millions of extra investment then it is feasible. Which other Crown Court type of offences would you like to see downgraded in order to make up for these thousands of cases.

I would have thought that you would have researched that prior to suggesting it.

endure

GCM
In order to impose UP to a 5 year sentence, it would need to be made an Indictable or Either Way offence triable at Crown Court with a Jury and Barristers. The Crown Court system is currently overwhelmed and backlogged.

Yes with multiple £millions of extra investment then it is feasible. Which other Crown Court type of offences would you like to see downgraded in order to make up for these thousands of cases.

I would have thought that you would have researched that prior to suggesting it.
You and your facts!

There seems to be a new breed of protester - the ‘Mrs Miggins’ and ‘Jeremy the ex bank manager’, who consider themselves pillars of the community and, that the juxtaposition of their previously conformist background and - normal protester stereotypes, somehow enhances their ‘protest’.
Mrs Miggins would think twice about glueing herself to a burger king door if- the consequences could be her feeling she can never show her face in civilised society again- after the daily mail published her shit streaked and piss wet through.
Unless we cordon then off, other protestors will simply feed them and cover them over with water proofs.

That is why you see numerous cops surrounding them, appearing to do nothing, this is to stop that particular protest growing and becoming more established until a Protestor Removal Team can arrive.

None or course. The backlog will be there no matter what, so adding in a few more (and if such a law existed I'm sure the vast majority of those volunteering for arrest will no longer do so), to the list will merely mean that they have to wait a little while longer before they are banged up. Little Tarquin will have plenty of time to ponder on what is going to happen to him in jail, and how his life will pan out afterwards.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
.... and plenty of retired elderly, by all appearances. XR is starting to look like the Hatton Garden robbery; a lot of old codgers having a final fling before they toddle off.

It's taught me something, though. It's not only the young who can be excruciatingly irritating idiots.
Once an old protester has superglued themselves in place pour water from a jug into a bowl a few times,a funny result will occur

Once an old protester has superglued themselves in place pour water from a jug into a bowl in front of them a few times,a funny result will occur
Fixed FOC

Alternatively, start playing Rap "music" in their vicinity. If they can't get away quickly, offer euthanasia. It would be a kindness.

None or course. The backlog will be there no matter what, so adding in a few more (and if such a law existed I'm sure the vast majority of those volunteering for arrest will no longer do so), to the list will merely mean that they have to wait a little while longer before they are banged up. Little Tarquin will have plenty of time to ponder on what is going to happen to him in jail, and how his life will pan out afterwards.
It will give Tarquin sufficient time to increase the number of fingers he can insert into his rectum, in order to prepare his ringpiece for jail and the acquaintance of 'Big Tone'

Interesting response from the Australian Scientist:

The protestors will just refuse to pay the fine, elect to appear in court and plead not guilty, requesting a trial, in order to clog up the system.....
If the protesters elect for trial and clog up the system that's fine. If possible, just keep moving them down the lists and deal with a few (at random) as time permits. Thus "Tarquin" et al can spend potentially years awaiting their day in court; never really sure when that will be or the outcome.
During the waiting time they may have to declare the fact they are due for trial when applying for "things". A few months/years of uncertainty would, IMHO, outweigh anything the courts could impose.

Latest Threads