Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Extinction Rebellion protesters - what to do?

I think this is the first picture I've seen of her where she looks genuinely happy rather than a forced smile for the cameras:

_108349550_greta2.jpg

I've seen that facial expression before, it's the look of a teenager thinking "Bloody hell, this is a bit scary and I'm cold but I'm actually doing something I never thought I could". I genuinely hope she gets something out of this trip rather than it being just another photo opportunity.

It would be pretty funny if she arrived in the US and said she was bored with the environmental stuff now and wants to take up yacht racing full time.

Im convinced theres something akin to Munchausen's by proxy where her mothers concerned.

I read an interview with the parents a while back about all the problems she had before this started. They went vegan because she had made herself anorexic after working herself into a state about the damage her diet was doing to the environment etc etc.

I was left wondering how much of this the parents actually believe and how much of it is just rolling with it because it keeps her eating and helps her cope with her issues.

It would be pretty funny if she arrived in the US and said she was bored with the environmental stuff now and wants to take up yacht racing full time.
I would love that, not because it would deprive the extinction rebellion loonies of their messiah figure but because she would be doing something she wants to rather than what the dozens of people around her are pressuring her into.

Much as I think Meerkatz/Photex is a bit of a bellend, I can't fault his analysis about the Thunberg parents and minders on this thread.

I read an interview with the parents a while back about all the problems she had before this started. They went vegan because she had made herself anorexic after working herself into a state about the damage her diet was doing to the environment etc etc.

I was left wondering how much of this the parents actually believe and how much of it is just rolling with it because it keeps her eating and helps her cope with her issues.
But how much of that was mental health and how much was being a fussy child? Surely if you have such a strong -willed child that she will starve herself, you take her to the local hippy market and let her buy what she wants.

Then eat steaks, burgers and sausages when she's at friends' houses.

Or did they make that up?

I see your point, but "milkshaking" isn't the correct term for throwing acid, is it? And why does it matter whether someone "milkshaked" is a racist or not? Any Western country has laws specifically designed to deal with incitement to violence, racial hatred etc., and if we start condoning violence because it's committed against someone deemed racist, we're a disturbingly long way down a very slippery slope. This isn't meant to excuse the insults against Thunberg, just to point out that euphemisms like "milkshaking" aren't conducive to saving what little is left of reasonable political discussion.
ETA: Sorry for being serious in an Int Cell thread.
You are equating milkshaking with violence?

When was Tommy Robinson/Yaxley-Lennon or Farage attacked with acid? When did that happen?

ahem.

You can of course find where I have called her a 'mong', downie or indeed state or imply I want her drowned?

Emotional outbursts are never a good way to get your point across.

I have not called her a 'mong' or anything similar, I have commented on her Aspergers. I have not called her a 'downie', I have commented on her Aspergers. I have not said I want her drowned, nor supported the comment.

You would know this if you didn't have the intelligence level of a lost left flip flop.
Read the ******* post before type another load of tripe. Correct you didn't call her a mong or a downie, or wish her drowned but you did not object to it as I remarked. However you chose to climb aboard the outrage bus because Farage has a dry-cleaners bill. Obviously, the man is your object of lust right now and you feel the need to white-knight from airborne delivered dairy products.

Or did they make that up?

While I'm no fan of her parents and I honestly think they're manipulating their daughter for their own ends I doubt it's a tall tale, at least the bit referring to anorexia, not necessarily the cause.

Her physical development (or great lack of it) could easily indicate anorexia while she was starting/in puberty, she has the stature and general shape of a 12 year old and not a girl rising 17 from a country with very good nutrition available.

You are equating milkshaking with violence?

When was Tommy Robinson/Yaxley-Lennon or Farage attacked with acid? When did that happen?
You're not really interested in having something resembling a discussion between adults, are you? "Why bother with a milkshake when you could get some battery acid?” is pretty clear. Now go and vent your spleen somewhere else.

Extinction Rebellion protesters - what to do?

1/ Inform them that almost 8B people are exhaling CO2 and they are preaching to the choir in London/the West, as we got the contraception and pollution message long ago.
2/ Inform them that the 3rd World has not got either message.
3/ Suggest their organisation RVs at Dover to swim the Channel, leaving a tiny carbon footprint.
4/ Once in Calais, form up for a well publicised Extinction March that will visit all countries in Asia, Africa, and finally China, spreading their message as they shut down commerce and traffic in each capital city.

David Attenborough can make a wildlife survival-style documentary of it. The thinning out of the ER herd starting at the Channel, then the swimming the Bosporus, kidnappings and organ harvesting in the Sahara, ditto in Africa, and finally being run over by tanks for superglueing themselves to Tiananmen Square.

I have a crate of popcorn on order.