Extinction Rebellion protesters - what to do?

Awol

LE
I wonder what the hydrocarbon chains will be broken down into? That should make some of the lunatic fringe confused, breaking down plastic is good but making carbon dioxide is bad.
Hmmm, great idea. Releasing an aggressive microbe to colonise all the world's oceans. Okay, it might eat plastic, but what else have they tested it on? Toenails? Seahorses? Ships hulls?

Things like this really could be the cause of an extinction.

MO MORE KIDS ....
Birth control so only oral and a*** provided .
I think a lot of the crusty extinction lot are only interested in that anyway ;-)

Hmmm, great idea. Releasing an aggressive microbe to colonise all the world's oceans. Okay, it might eat plastic, but what else have they tested it on? Toenails? Seahorses? Ships hulls?

Things like this really could be the cause of an extinction.
Not likely, it's a sloppy headline. The bacteria involved haven't been 'invented', they've been found. It's not surprising, plastic is a potential energy source and life will find a way to exploit that. The same way that some bacteria have evolved to thrive in lakes of acid, at 80°C and in nuclear reactors.

From the comments made in the article it looks like the rate of decomposition is ridiculously slow and the bacteria only seem to attack PET, not other types of plastic.

Londo

LE
Blackrock London HQ in EC4 had a visit for several hours today. Fairly peaceful, musical (if you are into drums) in all and flegs, lots of very colourful flegs. Fair play to them.

In this instance, there were more lunch hour spectators than participants.
and I bet my mental lefty sister was there banging the drums

I wonder if the 'hundreds of protesters' managed to off-set their carbon trail for this righteous protest?

Looks much more like Venetians protesting about tourists and the number of cruise ships coming in.
Never mind because the cruise ships mooring in Aberdeen will be opening soon. Who wants to go to smelly old Venice when you could visit the Silver City of the North.

Looks much more like Venetians protesting about tourists and the number of cruise ships coming in.
Never mind because the cruise ships mooring in Aberdeen will be opening soon. Who wants to go to smelly old Venice when you could visit the Silver City of the North.
Then the perfidious Venetians are guilty of nugatory effort on a mind numbing scale, given that the lager cruise ships have been banned from entering for a few weeks now.

Then the perfidious Venetians are guilty of nugatory effort on a mind numbing scale, given that the lager cruise ships have been banned from entering for a few weeks now.
Their protest won then woo hoo!!!

I wonder if the 'hundreds of protesters' managed to off-set their carbon trail for this righteous protest?

They are protesting against the tourist trade that keeps their city afloat (geddit ?)
We are witnessing a new type of snowflake that doesn't melt in the August weather

mrdude

War Hero
We actually need some mass loss of life, if you look at this graph below, you'll see if that doesn't happen soon - the world will be over populated with not enough resources to go around.

Still nature takes care of everything sooner or later - so one way or the other loads of people will be dead in the near future, whether that's by starvation, flooding, war, climate, solar flare, asteroid, etc - it makes no odds. Humans days on the planet are numbered, that same way as the other 99.9% of every animal that's ever existed has gone extinct.

offog

LE
Not likely, it's a sloppy headline. The bacteria involved haven't been 'invented', they've been found. It's not surprising, plastic is a potential energy source and life will find a way to exploit that. The same way that some bacteria have evolved to thrive in lakes of acid, at 80°C and in nuclear reactors.

From the comments made in the article it looks like the rate of decomposition is ridiculously slow and the bacteria only seem to attack PET, not other types of plastic.
It was after the gulf of Mexico (I think but may be the Alaska one) spill that the green lobby was saying that it will kill life in the area for decades. A little later it was found that much of the oil sank to the ocean floor and was being eaten by bacteria and so the time frame was drastically shorten.

offog

LE
They are protesting against the tourist trade that keeps their city afloat (geddit ?)
We are witnessing a new type of snowflake that doesn't melt in the August weather
I think it was more about the large ships washing away the foundation of the city but also the influx of far too many tourists. Dubrovnik is the same, when you have 5 cruise ships docking at one time, all getting off then walking round and not spending any money as they have free lunch on board ship.

Only in Europe and North America, they have developed a very convenient blind spot when it comes to the Indian subcontinent, China and Africa
Funnily enough that was the theme of the presentation they were appearing in.
The hand wringers complain that it's the greedy westerners that are the problem (the east is undeveloped then is it?) so all the less developed nations can breed how they wish.
Whitey should stop breeding but everyone else crack on, even the ones in the West.
Funny that.

I think it was more about the large ships washing away the foundation of the city but also the influx of far too many tourists. Dubrovnik is the same, when you have 5 cruise ships docking at one time, all getting off then walking round and not spending any money as they have free lunch on board ship.
Have the revenues in Venice and Dubrovnik dropped off to the point where the locals fully appreciate they are calling for a halt to tourist revenue ?

Latest Threads