External PIR light with on/off capability

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by msr, Apr 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

I have a PIR security light at the back of my house, but with the recent addition of a patio, I would like to change it for one which I can remotely switch to 'on', rather than have it flick on and off all night.

Can anyone recommend one?

2. Most of these can be overridden by switching off for a time (usually about 2 seconds) and then back on again, Resetting is by switching off for a second and straight back on. then it reverts back to the PIR sensor. Might be worth checking the instructions (they might be available online if you know the brand and model number) before going to the trouble of a replacement.

Check this link out to see what I mean:

PIR Override for security light

It's on page 8 of the .pdf file.
  3. msr

msr LE

Mine seems to be hardwired into the mains...
  4. For an investment of a tenner and half an hour, you should be able to bypass the PIR with a second cable and a two-way switch, giving you the option of PIR operated or switch operated.
  5. Or just run a permanent live feed to the 'third' wire inside and it will do the same thing. Normally the live and neutral run to the box and a switch wire comesout and returns via the switch to the 'other' live and you have a permanently live feed and a switched feed.

Ours has the built in override facility I mentioned earlier and is just wired normally with a switched feed and neutral. The bypass feature is integral.